Quantcast

Converting your house to central a/c

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
C.P. said:
Sounds like a single floor ranch right? For attic access, have a set of folding pull down stairs installed in a hallway. Install the evaporative section/supply fan /ductwork/controls etc up there w/ ductwork etc. (the condensing unit/scroll compressors ect will be located outside on a pad)
How's the electrical panel in the house? Full? Service size? 75amp, 100amp 150amp?? If's it has no leftover capacity, this will need expansion as well.

The AC guy is probably right about not having to put a/c supply in the basement, but it might be a good idea to have a return put in the basement, farthest from the stairs, and if possible put a small vent in the basement door or if aethetics are a problem, undercut the basement door by 1/2 inch. The return will help to keep the moisture from building up down there, and keep mildew/mold from ever being a problem. (Typical Northeast basements have enough moisture buildup to make this a good idea.)

Other then that, this sounds like an easy installation.

Make sure they install a 120v outlet within 25' of the compressor as in the 2002 NEC and the 2005 NEC - Art. 210.63

Even though this have been in effect since 2002 many installers forget about it.

I Are Baboon

Vagina man
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
C.P. said:
lots o' good info
Our house is a single floor ranch with finished basement. We have a 100 amp fuse box which we are having converted to circuit breakers. The last guy who came over is going to do a cooling load calculation (he is the only one of the three contractors who mentioned doing one).

Well last night we had the last of three contractors come over and size up the place. He was definitely more thorough than the first two. I liked the price of guy #1. Guy #2 was $2k more, but more professional. Now we're just waiting for the third quote so we can pick the contractor.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
N8 said:
Central AC systems are a fact of life down here...

..and, no matter what you think... a swamp cooler doesn't work in a swamp.
I would go without heat before giving up my AC. My new neighbor just cut down all the trees in his yard that give shade to the house in the afternoon. He will be regretting that move in a few months while the sun is melting his vinyl siding.

Yossarian

Monkey Pimp
Jul 25, 2001
Aboard the Inchcliffe Castle
Westy said:
I would go without heat before giving up my AC. My new neighbor just cut down all the trees in his yard that give shade to the house in the afternoon. He will be regretting that move in a few months while the sun is melting his vinyl siding.

Amen. I have a water oak in my front yard that I would love to remove, but it offers crucial sun protection.

Ian F

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
Philadelphia area
My house had forced air A/C and heat installed long after it was built. While installing the registers high in the walls or in the ceiling is the preferred method, mine are low in the walls. The unit is in the basement and the total supply ductwork is about 10'. The return is a section closed off joists. It works and will get the house so cold you'll need a jacket in the Summer. ;)

My only probably right now is I think there is mold in the ductwork as iit hasn't been cleaned in... well... the 15 years I've lived there... :o: However, since there is so little of it, replacing it will cost me all of $100 or so rather than attempting to clean it...

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
I Are Baboon said:
Our house is a single floor ranch with finished basement. We have a 100 amp fuse box which we are having converted to circuit breakers. The last guy who came over is going to do a cooling load calculation (he is the only one of the three contractors who mentioned doing one).

Well last night we had the last of three contractors come over and size up the place. He was definitely more thorough than the first two. I liked the price of guy #1. Guy #2 was $2k more, but more professional. Now we're just waiting for the third quote so we can pick the contractor.
You may want to upgrade the service to 200 amps. Most of the time when dealing with contractors its better to spend the extra $ and have it look and done right.

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
MtnBikerChk said:
12. Our house is small and the benefit to go up would take years to realize.

A 12 is respectible... I use 14 SEERs now as a standard in new construction but we have a 10.5 month AC season... :dead:

I Are Baboon

Vagina man
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
N8 said:
A 12 is respectible... I use 14 SEERs now as a standard in new construction but we have a 10.5 month AC season... :dead:
We looked at 13 and 14 models but it did not make sense for us financially. It would take something like 10 years to realize the savings from a 14 compared to a 12. Besides, the manufacturer we went with (Armstrong) does not make a 14.

J

JRB

Thanks for closing, Babs. It's still funny you need an air conditioner, but thanks.

*actually - it sucks when it is hot, so if the A/C was for one night, it's worth it.

I Are Baboon

Vagina man
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
C.P. said:
Very nice! So nice to come home from a hot summer ride into a cool house...and the value of your home just went up too...bonus!
Thanks, C.P.! The post-ride coolness is definitely a reason we got the a/c. Coming home to a hot house after a four ride ride in 95 degree heat would just suck. That, and we have a hard time sleeping if the house is above 65. :D

dh girlie

MISS MISSY (geek)
MtnBikerChk said:
remember when we rode case? IAB and I almost didn't make it cuz the cats got out the window in the middle of the night and we were up trying to find them from midnight to 4am. I don't want to do that again.

so really we're getting it for the cats :)
Completely justifiable...I got a new furnace with an ac unit about a year and a half ago...cuz you know...the cat...she's getting older and I want her to be comfortable. :D