Quantcast

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
What exactly is that protest doing other than making the news?
Honest question.

Does it matter what they are protesting, isn't it kind of irrelevant? There is supposed to be a constitutional right to do so. The people have the opportunity and the obligation to be on the street should they feel it appropriate regardless of subject matter. The question is, has the response by law enforcement been appropriate for the demeanor and actions of the crowd? I would argue, almost certainly not, and that was before trump sent in the stazi. Portlands police department has a long history of being not so great when it comes to, community relations, let's say. It was old news when I lived there almost 2 decades ago now. Clearly not much has changed.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
CNN says Pam Bondi is going to be speaking out against nepotism tonight.

No word on where she falls exactly in with the speeches by Eric Trump, Melania Trump and Tiffany Trump. :rofl:

Republican strategy bus to pretty much accuse Democrats of what they are actively doing.

Platform: con rubes

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
Politicians must love the modern era. 25 years ago, if you were outraged at something you had to funnel your rage up through the press and aim it at government representatives. Now you can just open an app and argue directly with another citizen with an opposing viewpoint.

Pesqueeb

Feb 2, 2007
Politicians must love the modern era. 25 years ago, if you were outraged at something you had to funnel your rage up through the press and aim it at government representatives. Now you can just open an app and argue directly with another citizen with an opposing viewpoint.
I grow more convinced, almost by the day, that the internet represents humanities Great Filter. A form of Rampancy, but for humanity as a whole.

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
Honest question.

Does it matter what they are protesting, isn't it kind of irrelevant? There is supposed to be a constitutional right to do so. The people have the opportunity and the obligation to be on the street should they feel it appropriate regardless of subject matter. The question is, has the response by law enforcement been appropriate for the demeanor and actions of the crowd? I would argue, almost certainly not, and that was before trump sent in the stazi. Portlands police department has a long history of being not so great when it comes to, community relations, let's say. It was old news when I lived there almost 2 decades ago now. Clearly not much has changed.
They absolutely have a right to assemble.

Maybe my position on the spectrum is showing, but my view is to question if the tactic is being effective. What is the goal, how is the effort leading to that goal, and is progress being made? Also, what collateral and counterproductive damage is being done by the protest effort, and would an alternate course be more effective?

Outrage is outage. It can certainly be justified. However, it’s also feeding the opposition, giving the right a lightning rod to lash “Democrats” to with a broad brush; the protestors are lefty therefore anyone just over the center of the line is in the exact same boat. Even if I might support your organization’s stated goals, I might also object to the methods, which is a fairly human trait. Just look at religions; they are all just ways to suck the dick of some phantom power, yet you have to do it the right way of sone group of people won’t approve and donate at your temple.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Outrage is outage. It can certainly be justified. However, it’s also feeding the opposition, giving the right a lightning rod to lash “Democrats” to with a broad brush; the protestors are lefty therefore anyone just over the center of the line is in the exact same boat.
And rosa parks was "uppity"

Get my drift?

"what morons think" should never be a metric for whether or not to continue action. The civil rights and voting acts didn't happen in a month.

Rodney King got the shit beat out of him in the 90s. This needs to continue. Cops have only gotten worse. The system needs to change. The mayor of portland and my perfect ideal candidate joe biden who I personally molded into my excact precise beliefs need to institute new law.

And until that happens......enjoy your spraypaint. No one who is going to matter in the long run cares what princess swanson thinks.

Last edited:

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
And rosa parks was "uppity"

Get my drift?

"what morons think" should never be a metric for whether or not to continue action. The civil rights and voting acts didn't happen in a month.

Rodney King got the shit beat out of him in the 90s. This needs to continue. Cops have only gotten worse. The system needs to change. The mayor of portland and my perfect ideal candidate joe biden who I personally molded into my excact precise beliefs need to institute new law.

And until that happens......enjoy your spraypaint. No one who is going to matter in the long run cares what princess swanson thinks.
I'm not saying they can't or shouldn't, but I am saying it isn't how I would go about it, and it hasn't persuaded me to champion their cause. I'm well aware of my distant and limited perspective on the issues. My discussion of the topic is primarily an academic interest, and I'm not arguing pro or con.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Well yeah, if I were involved I'd probably be in jail, so not what I would do either.

But they're showing up. Night after night. In what's only a symbolic gesture, but they're showing up. Again, and again, and again.

Until you or I have the fortitude to do it better, we're both just pinky tea sipping critics, raising an eyebrow at a priviledged distance. That shit is easy and lazy, they're getting nailed in the head with campbells mace soup every night. People are doing work while we're not. Brian can sit around and say he disagrees with police violence all he wants but sitting around doing nothing about it IS the problem.

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Honestly.......it doesn't even really matter.

There's an awareness right now that you have to deliberately ignore to not recognize. You and I and everyone who's been reading the cop thread knows there's a problem. Even if it is improving it's not happening fast enough because people are still getting killed over 20 bucks or even nothing.

The fact that data tracking is still an issue IS part of the problem, you're right about that.

Right now people are getting the shit beat out of them to change something. Like I said, until either one of us shows up and does it better, what billybob in avalon estates thinks doesn't matter. I support the work being done. It needs to be done at the next level with law. If this is what it takes to direct attention, I'm all for it.

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
Until you or I have the fortitude to do it better, we're both just pinky tea sipping critics, raising an eyebrow at a priviledged distance.
That’s me. I’m also managing my own set of issues. I’d be in more physical danger than the average bear, so it’s out of the question for me.

I do spend 8 hours a day working for a company that creates low income housing, so I feel like I’m helping with a significant issue for many people, in my own small way. It is for a paycheck, so it’s obviously not total selfless charity.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
I do spend 8 hours a day working for a company that creates low income housing, so I feel like I’m helping with a significant issue for many people, in my own small way. It is for a paycheck, so it’s obviously not total selfless charity.
And there's probably a 25 year old in portland right now who thinks you're twiddling your thumbs and not blowing up enough shit.

In the meantime if you find yourself siding with sean hannity, you might want to rethink your position on something ;)

In all seriousness, these guys need to get some legislative follow up. Rosa parks was a figurehead with lawmakers ready to act in the wings. Like the occupy wallstreet movement, I fear this may also dissipate without that behind it.

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
And there's probably a 25 year old in portland right now who thinks you're twiddling your thumbs and not blowing up enough shit.

In the meantime if you find yourself siding with sean hannity, you might want to rethink your position on something ;)

In all seriousness, these guys need to get some legislative follow up. Rosa parks was a figurehead with lawmakers ready to act in the wings. Like the occupy wallstreet movement, I fear this may also dissipate without that behind it.
Oh, there’s lots of 25 year olds who would hate me on paper specs.

It’s that fear of dissipation, or at least concern about it, that was driving some earlier posts today. My questions about goals and tactics encompassed that. How does this go from a display of outrage to a legislative and practical change in the way things work? That’s the puzzle piece I don’t see. Not saying it doesn’t exist, but that I’m not aware of it.

Pesqueeb

Feb 2, 2007
The best people
Binders full of them!

Last edited: