Quantcast

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
It’s as big a myth as Bigfoot, the Loch Ness Monster, and believing that your 401k contributions should cover you.
remember the good old days when the country being 4 trillion in debt was a bad thing.....if it is less than 30 trillion by the end of whoever wins the election at the end of their first term...color me impressed....

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
To be honest, I thought this administration would start a war before the end of their term. I didn't think it would be a war with Portland though. There's still a few months to go though...

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
The argument for not uncapping it is that it's already a redistributive system that caps benefits. Due to its calculation with its "bend points" people paying in get much more for their contributions if their 30 year average salary was lower.

That's the point. Unfortunately, the Silent Generation had a while bunch of loopholes that allowed them to draw out massive multipliers (double spousal benefits for one) than they should have and US life expectancy is decades longer so the money also has to last longer. While don't appreciate the additional amount we'd be paying from an uncapped Social Security, I appreciate the long-term benefit to the country. At least it will help close the income gap to some extent.
The reality though is that if someone has investment income over a certain amount, that needs to be taxed as well. You can have someone who is a trust family with $0 employment income, but $5mm investment income. Something like of your investment income is > $150k/yr, you pay 6.2% to Social Security off that amount. Yes it's a wealth tax, but if your investment income is that high you clearly have enormous wealth.

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
Jim continues his posting.

Pesqueeb

Feb 2, 2007
Jim continues his posting.
"It’s about Trump: It doesn’t matter that Trump and his folks are breaking laws, trying to kill Obamacare, pre-existing conditions or that his handling of the pandemic was disastrous, to Trump voters he is THEIR guy. More importantly he’s “THEIR president” and disagreeing with them is a personal insult. For many Trump voters this isn’t about any other issue except Trump himself. To me that is not only weird but kind of scary. "

There is a phenomena I'm trying to decided if it is new, or if I've only just recently noticed, happening here in town involving these pop-up vendors selling very Jingoistic, Trump Merch and paraphernalia. Side by side, exists the aforementioned "culture" of Trump and MAGA flags on vehicles, mostly bro-dozers, and front porches. I've spotted at least three of these around town now.

Perhaps I grew up sheltered, and I realize El Paso county is not entirely representative of the nation as a whole, but this all seems new and disturbing to me. I'm not sure I could be convinced that Trump supporters are anything more than a suicide cult. I don't ever in my life remember seeing pop up tents selling Reagan flags. Nobody I know ever had a 10 foot wide "W" banner hanging on their front porch. Even my most liberal friends never decided that being an Obama supporter was how they defined their lives. I've never imagined voting for a Clinton as a personality characteristic.

It's not baseball. You aren't supposed to be buying knock off novelties from the parking lot vendor, pre-game. But then again, it seems to me that the Trump play book really is as simple as convincing idiots that if you're on his side, you're "winning", and that's all they have left. To be defined as not just a "winner", but to "destroy" or "own" the other side so badly it comes off as the righteous hand of god, leveling the walls of Jericho. And to view non-trump supporters as the Canaanites, because that's what it's coming to.

Last edited:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
"It’s about Trump: It doesn’t matter that Trump and his folks are breaking laws, trying to kill Obamacare, pre-existing conditions or that his handling of the pandemic was disastrous, to Trump voters he is THEIR guy. More importantly he’s “THEIR president” and disagreeing with them is a personal insult. For many Trump voters this isn’t about any other issue except Trump himself. To me that is not only weird but kind of scary. "

There is a phenomena I'm trying to decided if it is new, or if I've only just recently noticed, happening here in town involving these pop-up vendors selling very Jingoistic, Trump Merch and paraphernalia. Side by side, exists the aforementioned "culture" of Trump and MAGA flags on vehicles, mostly bro-dozers, and front porches. I've spotted at least three of these around town now.

Perhaps I grew up sheltered, and I realize El Paso county is not entirely representative of the nation as a whole, but this all seems new and disturbing to me. I'm not sure I could be convinced that Trump supporters are anything more than a suicide cult. I don't ever in my life remember seeing pop up tents selling Reagan flags. Nobody I know ever had a 10 foot wide "W" banner hanging on their front porch. Even my most liberal friends never decided that being an Obama supporter was how they defined their lives. I've never imagined voting for a Clinton as a personality characteristic.

It's not baseball. You aren't supposed to be buying knock off novelties from the parking lot vendor, pre-game. But then again, it seems to me that the Trump play book really is as simple as convincing idiots that if you're on his side, you're "winning", and that's all they have left. To be defined as not just a "winner", but to "destroy" or "own" the other side so badly it comes off as the righteous hand of god, leveling the walls of Jericho. And to view non-trump supporters as the Canaanites, because that's what it's coming to.
short version: having 100 guns doesn't count as a personality

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
It's almost as if some people won't believe this administration is a complete failure until it actually affects them personally. :disgust:

Bootstraps, indeed.

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210

He seems to have tapped into a portion of the population that wants only to be on the winning team, regardless of what that means politically. I don’t even know if this is a group that had been interested in politics previously.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
There is a phenomena I'm trying to decided if it is new, or if I've only just recently noticed,
I used to see that kind of shit with crosshairs on Muammar Gaddafi or whoever the hell else Regan told us we needed to bomb in the 80s in the middle east or central america. T-shirts, stickers etc. This was Florida so same thing as Colorado Springs. It was more 'what regan is doing' than the cultish demagoguery going on now.

"Winning" is what you're seeing right now with the social security deduction going away for 6 months. People are going to think trump gave them money. If he wins he can do some other shell game. If biden wins, all of a sudden people think he's taking their money in January.

If we had an informed electorate this wouldn't be a problem. Instead we have people selling and buying flags to root for their team.

Last edited:

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
"Winning" is what you're seeing right now with the social security deduction going away for 6 months.
Man, THIS is going to be painful for a lot of people. I've been reading more and more companies trying to educate the masses, or trying to opt out, rather than let half-asleep employees walk into a big debt after the first of the year.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
It's true. We are the Florida, of Colorado. My old man, who was no liberal, and was born and raised in CO, asked me 17 years ago, "are you sure you want to move to Colorado Springs?"
First time I ever went there felt very familiar :D

I've actually got a decent job offer in Pueblo if I want it but proximity to florida keeps making my lip curl.

This tax crap reminds me of the thank you money GWB sent out right after he was 'elected' the first time.

"y'all remember that in 3 years!"

Last edited:

Pesqueeb

Feb 2, 2007
First time I ever went there felt very familiar :D

I've actually got a decent job offer in Pueblo if I want it but proximity to florida keeps making my lip curl.

This tax crap reminds me of the thank you money GWB sent out right after he was 'elected' the first time.

"y'all remember that in 3 years!"
To be fair, the influx of people to CO who can't afford Denver has liberalized COS quite a bit. We've definitely made it into the 80's, socially.

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
Probably not related.

The chairman of the U.S. Postal Service Board of Governors is also listed as a director of Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell’s $130 million super PAC, the Senate Leadership Fund.