Quantcast

Convince me...

Quo Fan

don't make me kick your ass
Why I should get a "smart phone".

I don't text (mostly because I don't know how).
If I want to take pictures, I carry a camera.
I have an e-reader that does aps and wi-fi.
I have my laptop that does most of the above also.
I use my phone to (gasp!) talk to people.

So, why should I get a "smart phone" when I have other devices that do the same or better with a screen I can see?

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004

So, why should I get a "smart phone" when I have other devices that do the same or better with a screen I can see?
Here's a few reasons why I like mine, but if you aren't burning to get one, don't sweat it...

Camera - it's nice to have a decent small still/vid camera when you didn't think you'd need one.

Data - I can store a ton of files in my phone. (tiny 4GB removable card) So it replaces a thumb drive most of the time.

Email client

Texting is convenient if you have friends that text all the time. I know some people that one of the only ways to get a hold of them is texting.

Maps/GPS

Calendar

Music player

In my case: wifi hotspot. I use my phone to provide internet access to my laptop when other wifi isn't available.

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003

if work will let you expense a significant part of your data plan, it's worth considering

i rock a rugby, which is flip phone that's highly tolerant to dirt, water, shock, that in a pinch can be used to txt & snap pics, but certainly isn't a preferred device for that purpose.

while considering getting another smartphone, i "downgraded" so that if wrecked or got caught in a storm i wouldn't have to deal w/ replacement issue (or if i had to it could be done cheaply by comparison). iow, form follows function, not fashion

above all else, visit wireless.amazon.com & browse penny phones. my wife & i are hooked up for $60/mo + tax w/ att. (of course, you know sprint blows dirty, hairy, croatian dong, right?)

Why I should get a "smart phone"...
At any given time, are you carrying a camera, an e-reader and a laptop?
Smart phones are first at nothing, but second to many things.

They are useful because they are versatile; you can take a picture of something unexpected that took your attention (it won't be a perfect pic, but still better than nothing), check the internet (an adress, gas station, email, etc.), listen to music, navigate/translate things in a foreign country, take notes, talk/text for free with some of your friends, etc. And there are many weird programs out there that might be handy for you too (I don't include reading, because the small screen and lighting are not very comfortable past a few minutes).

Obviously, it makes no sense to get a smartphone just to be able to sillypost on facebook 24h, or pay 3x to have mobile internet if you use the phone sparingly; but if you call every once in a while and travel a bit, you'll soon find it useful. Just don't confuse "smartphone" with "iphone".
[shield engaged=on] :weee:

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Here's why I like my phone:

- I am chronically lost. Turn by turn GPS/maps is awesome. Even if I didn't have the directional sense of a moth near a lightbulb, I use it constantly when visiting new places. It's really nice to not have to carry Mapquest directions, or another device in addition to my phone.

- I freakin' love having perpetual, always-on internet access. Think of something I want to know about? Look it up. Want to show someone a photo? Done. Want to jot a note? Done. Sure, you can do that on a laptop - but who wants to carry their laptop all the time? Or your eReader? Also, your laptop/eReader don't have internet access outside of Wifi range.

Frankly, I just like the simplicity of remembering/owning/taking care of one device. No GPS, or MP3 player, or eReader, or laptop, just my phone in my pocket. I can do banking, or find my way, or have my to-do list, or check my email, or play a game, and it's all in my pocket. Individual devices do it better, of course, but they don't do it more conveniently and I don't want to carry them.

That said... why should anyone convince you? It's an expensive monthly bill if work isn't picking it up. If you tend to kill electronics, it's an expensive piece of technology to break. If you're content with your devices, keep 'em.

Arkayne

I come bearing GIFs
May 10, 2005
SoCal
This isn't cool anymore. was it ever?! edit: not me in pic

Give it a try, most places will give you 30 day trial run.

Quo Fan

don't make me kick your ass
Mostly what I do, I have close access to a vehicle, so carrying several devices is a non-issue for me. I carry 2 phones, the Nokia in the above pic, that is my company phone, and a Motorola i830, my personal cell phone.

Sometimes I carry my DSLR camera when I think there might be something that I can make into a photograph, or I take my point and shoot if I think I'll just be taking snapshots. Not to say that I can't make photographs with my point and shoot.

I think the only advantage of having a smart phone is the fact that I could have the internet without having to find a wi-fi hot spot.

woodsguy

gets infinity MPG
Mar 18, 2007
Sutton, MA
I didn't think I needed one until I got one. Having one "do all" device always on my hip at the ready is really cool. Want to know the Sox score or weather forecast? Its just a tap away. Get an 32GB card and fill it up with music or just stream Last.fm (awesome!). GPS, calendar, email, internet, endless apps that can do things for you that you never thought needed done. Plus the new phones have pretty good cameras and its nice to be able to share the photos immediately (text, email, FB). Finally, the games are pretty good time killers (jury duty, dr office, etc.).

Last edited:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Until they let me bundle my home internet with mobile internet I'm staying old school.
that's years away (if ever), telecom industry would never let that happen to their mon/duopoloy. If they did, they'd charge an arm and a leg for it.

However, AT&T is actually evaluating options for having a single account for data shared across multiple devices (like a phone and a tablet for yourself, not like a family plan).

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
that's years away (if ever), telecom industry would never let that happen to their mon/duopoloy. If they did, they'd charge an arm and a leg for it.

However, AT&T is actually evaluating options for having a single account for data shared across multiple devices (like a phone and a tablet for yourself, not like a family plan).
Actually my ISP is pushing Wimax/Fibre home bundles now, only about $15 a month more. Once my mobile provider offers WIMAX capable smart-phones they may have a deal.
Bah, friggin spammers. Sorry.

Last edited:

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
just sittin' here drinkin' scotch
I love having a smart phone. It's oe of those things that you don'tknow you ..."need" (note the quotes) until you have it.

I never texted before I had one. But it's so freaking handy. I take way more photos now than I ever did. Lots of classic stuff of the kids I wouldn't have otherwise captured. Internet, MP3 player...all good stuff.

And texting is almost becoming "more polite". (so I am told). If you need to ask something.....but it's not critical to know the answer NOW, you can text and get the answer at the "askee's" convenience. It's almost becoming rude to call someone and interrupt what they are doing to deal with you.