Quantcast

Cookie Recipes

in the trees

Turbo Monkey
May 19, 2003
NH
Okay, help me out. I need some of you favorite cookie recipes. My wife has been invited to a holiday cookie swap party next week, and because of her work schedule, I may be doing the baking. Simple and easy would be best. Thanks.

toby

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
I'm going to a cookie swap in 2 weeks, I have decide what to make too. I'm thinking something with peanut butter.

Qman

Monkey
Feb 7, 2005
I've got a good white chocolate/cranberry cookie recipe but I'll post later. (it's at home)

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
Ok, so I LOVE to bake so here are some easy ones:

Chocolate Chip Cookies (use the Nestle recipe on the bag)

Oatmeal Raisin (I actually prefer to use dried cranberries in these)
(makes about 2 ½ dozen cookies)

¾ cup butter flavor Crisco (has to be butter regular won’t work)
1 ¼ cups firmly packed light brown sugar
1 egg
1/3 cup milk
1 ½ tsp. Vanilla
3 cups quick cooking oats (uncooked)
1 cup all-purpose flour
½ tsp. Baking soda
½ tsp. Salt
½ tsp. Ground cinnamon
1 cup raisins (dried cranberries)

1. Heat oven to 375. Grease baking sheets.
2. Combine shortening, brown sugar, egg, milk and vanilla in a large bowl. Beat at medium speed (with an electric mixer) until well blended.
3. Add oats, flour, baking soda, salt and cinnamon and mix into a creamed mixture on low speed until just blended.
4. Stir in raisins/dried cranberries.
5. Drop by rounded teaspoons of dough about 2 inches apart onto greased baking sheet.
6. Bake at 375 for 10-12 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool 2 minutes on baking sheet before removing to a cooling rack.

Peanut Butter Blossoms
(makes about 4 dozen cookies)

1 bag (9oz.) Hershey’s Kisses
½ cup shortening
¾ cup creamy or crunchy peanut butter
1/3 cup granulated sugar
1/3 cup packed light brown sugar
1 egg
2 TBSP milk
1 tsp. Vanilla
1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp. Baking soda
½ tsp. Salt
Granulated sugar for rolling

1. Heat oven to 375.
2. Remove wrappers from Hershey’s kisses.
3. In a larger mixer bowl, beat shortening and peanut butter until well blended. Add 1/3 cup granulated sugar and brown sugar’ beat until light and fluffy.
4. Add egg, milk and vanilla; beat well.
5. Stir together flour, baking soda and salt; gradually add to peanut butter mixture.
6. Shape dough into 1-inch balls and roll in excess granulated sugar. Place on ungreased cookie sheet.
7. Bake 10-12 minutes or until lightly browned.
8. Immediately, place chocolate piece on top of each cookie, pressing down so cookie cracks a little around the edges.
9. Cool for 2 minutes on cookie sheet and then remove and cool completely on wire rack.

Snickerdoodles
(makes about 4 dozen)

1 ½ cups sugar
½ cup stick butter, softened
½ cup shortening
2 large eggs
2 ¾ cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons cream of tartar
1 tsp. Baking soda
¼ tsp. Salt
¼ cup sugar
2 tsp. Ground cinnamon

1. Heat oven to 400
2. Mix 1 ½ cups sugar, butter, shortening and eggs in a large bowl. Stir in flour, cream of tartar, baking soda and salt.
3. Shape dough into 1 ¼ inch balls. Mix ¼ cup sugar and the cinnamon. Roll balls in cinnamon-sugar mixture. Place 2 inches apart on ungreased cookie sheet.
4. Bake 8-10 minutes or until set. Remove from cookie sheet. Cool on wire rack

Sugar Cookies
(makes about 5 dozen 2-inch cookies)
1 ½ cups powder sugar
1 cup butter, softened
1 tsp. Vanilla
½ tsp. Almond extract
1 large egg
2 ½ cups all-purpose flour**
1 tsp. Baking soda
1 tsp. Cream of tartar
(optional--colored granulated sugars for decorating)

** Can use self-rising flour, but you’ll need to omit the baking soda and cream of tartar

1. Mix powdered sugar, butter, vanilla, almond extract and egg in a large bowl. Stir in remaining ingredients (except colored granulated sugars for decorating).
2. Heat oven to 375. Lightly grease cookie sheets.
3. Divide dough in half. Roll each half about ¼ inch thick on lightly floured surface. Cut into desired shapes with 2 to 2 1/2 –inch cookie cutters. Sprinkle with colored granulated sugars (if desired) and carefully place on cookie sheet.
4. Bake for 7-8 minutes or until edges are light brown.
5. Remove from oven and let cool 2 minutes before transferring to wire rack to cool completely.

Note: You can omit the colored granulated sugars and decorate cooled cookies with frosting too.

Gingerbread cookies
(makes about 2 ½ dozen 2 ½ inch-cookies)

1 cup packed brown sugar
1/3 cup shortening
1 ½ cups dark molasses
2/3 cup cold water
7 cups all-purpose flour**
2 teaspoons baking soda
2 teaspoons ground ginger
1 teaspoon ground allspice
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground cloves
½ teaspoon salt

** Can use self-rising flour, but you’ll need to omit the baking soda and salt

1. Mix brown sugar, shortening, molasses and water in large bowl. Stir in remaining ingredients.
2. Cover and refrigerate atleast 2 hours.
3. Heat oven to 350. Lightly grease cookie sheets.
4. Roll dough about ¼ inch thick on floured surface. Cut out with floured gingerbread cutter or other favorite shaped cutter.
5. Place about 2 inches apart on cookie sheet.
6. Bake 10-12 minutes or until no indentation remains when touched.
7. Remove from oven and cool about 2 minutes on cookie sheet then move to wire rack to cool completely.
8. Decorate with colored frosting, sugars and/or candies if desired.

Qman

Monkey
Feb 7, 2005
TreeSaw said:
:drool: Two of my favorite things!!!!
Here's a couple of recipes that rock. I recommend trying them with a Riesling. The one I had with them was Columbia Cellarmaster's Riesling.
A late harvest Gewurtz might go well with the ginger cookies too and heck while we're at it, a 40 year old port would probably go well with the chocolate cranberry ones....

Ginger Cookies:

4 oz. (1 stick) cold, unsalted butter, cut into 8 pieces
½ cup packed dark brown sugar
1 tbsp. finely minced fresh ginger
1tbsp. powdered ginger
¼ cup finely diced crystallized ginger (1/8” bits)
½ tsp. vanilla
1 cup plus 2 tbsp. all-purpose flour
¼ tsp. baking soda
Pinch of salt

In the bowl of an electric mixer, cream the butter and sugar on medium speed until smooth, about 3 minutes. Add the fresh ginger, powdered ginger, crystallized ginger, vanilla, flour, baking soda and salt; mix until the dough comes together. Turn out the dough onto a lightly floured board, gather into a ball, and flatten slightly.

Lightly dust a large piece of parchment paper with flour. Place the dough in the center and roll out to an even 1/8 inch thickness. Lightly flour the rolling pin as needed to prevent sticking. Cover and refrigerate the dough until firm. About 1 hour.

Preheat the oven to 350°F. Move an over rack to the middle position. Line baking sheets with parchment paper. Cut cookies into desired shapes and place ½ inch apart on the prepared baking sheets. Bake the cookies until the edges are lightly golden, 10-12 minutes.

Cranberry and White Chocolate Chip Cookies:

1 cup plus 2 tbsp. flour
½ tsp baking soda
½ tsp salt
Zest from one orange
¼ cup plus 2 tbsp sugar (I use raw sugar)
¼ cup plus 2 tbsp light brown sugar
½ cup unsalted butter
1 egg
¼ tsp vanilla
1 ½ cups fresh cranberries
1 cup white chocolate chips (Preferably Guittard)
½ cup walnuts (optional)

Preheat oven to 375°F. Coarsely chop the cranberries and walnuts in a food processor. Sift together the flour, baking soda and salt and set aside. In a mixing bowl, cream the sugars and softened butter until light and fluffy. Beat in the egg, orange zest, and vanilla until blended, scraping the sides of the bowl. On low speed, gradually beat in the flour mixture just until incorporated. Blend in the walnuts, cranberries, and chocolate chips. Drop the batter by rounded tablespoon, 2 inches apart onto parchment lined cookie sheets. Bake for 18-20 minutes. Transfer to racks to cool.

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
I can't believe I forgot to put my recipe for Almond Thumbprint cookies....they're one of my favorites! I will add it tonight.

Qman -- thanks...I am going to give those a try this year!

in the trees

Turbo Monkey
May 19, 2003
NH
Thanks for the help, guys - these all look great! I think the cranberry/white chocolate chip ones seem to be at the top of the list.

toby

robdamanii

OMG! <3 Tom Brady!
May 2, 2005
Out of my mind, back in a moment.
TreeSaw said:
Ok, so I LOVE to bake so here are some easy ones:
<snip>

Gingerbread cookies
(makes about 2 ½ dozen 2 ½ inch-cookies)

1 cup packed brown sugar
1/3 cup shortening
1 ½ cups dark molasses
2/3 cup cold water
7 cups all-purpose flour**
2 teaspoons baking soda
2 teaspoons ground ginger
1 teaspoon ground allspice
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground cloves
½ teaspoon salt

** Can use self-rising flour, but you’ll need to omit the baking soda and salt

1. Mix brown sugar, shortening, molasses and water in large bowl. Stir in remaining ingredients.
2. Cover and refrigerate atleast 2 hours.
3. Heat oven to 350. Lightly grease cookie sheets.
4. Roll dough about ¼ inch thick on floured surface. Cut out with floured gingerbread cutter or other favorite shaped cutter.
5. Place about 2 inches apart on cookie sheet.
6. Bake 10-12 minutes or until no indentation remains when touched.
7. Remove from oven and cool about 2 minutes on cookie sheet then move to wire rack to cool completely.
8. Decorate with colored frosting, sugars and/or candies if desired.
Gingerbread. I think I love you. :drool:

-BB-

I broke all the rules, but somehow still became mo
Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
Heidi said:
I'm going to a cookie swap in 2 weeks, I have decide what to make too. I'm thinking something with peanut butter.

Do some of those peanutbutter ones with the Hershey Kiss in the center.:drool:

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
OK - These cookies RULE:

Cookies:
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour (about 6 3/4 ounces)
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
3/4 cup packed dark brown sugar
1/4 cup butter, softened
2 tablespoons maple syrup
1 large egg

Frosting:
1 cup powdered sugar
1 tablespoon fat-free milk
2 teaspoons butter, softened

Remaining ingredient:
1/2 cup finely chopped walnuts, toasted

Preheat oven to 350&#176;.
To prepare cookies, lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Combine flour and next 6 ingredients (through cloves) in a medium bowl, stirring well with a whisk.

Place brown sugar and 1/4 cup butter in a large bowl; beat with a mixer at high speed until light and fluffy (about 4 minutes). Add 2 tablespoons syrup and egg; beat until well blended. Beating at low speed, gradually add flour mixture; beat just until combined.

Spoon batter evenly into 30 mounds (about 1 tablespoon) 2 inches apart on baking sheets. Bake at 350&#176; for 14 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool on pans 5 minutes. Remove from pans; cool completely on wire racks.

To prepare frosting, combine powdered sugar, 2 tablespoons syrup, milk, and 2 teaspoons butter, stirring with a whisk until smooth. Spread frosting evenly over cooled cookies. Working quickly, sprinkle cookies with nuts.

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Heidi said:
OK - These cookies RULE:

Cookies:
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup butter, softened
1 large egg

Frosting:
1 cup powdered sugar

Remaining ingredient:

Preheat oven to 350°.
To prepare cookies, lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Combine flour and next 6 ingredients (through cloves) in a medium bowl, stirring well with a whisk.

Place brown sugar and 1/4 cup butter in a large bowl; beat with a mixer at high speed until light and fluffy (about 4 minutes). Add 2 tablespoons syrup and egg; beat until well blended. Beating at low speed, gradually add flour mixture; beat just until combined.

Spoon batter evenly into 30 mounds (about 1 tablespoon) 2 inches apart on baking sheets. Bake at 350° for 14 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool on pans 5 minutes. Remove from pans; cool completely on wire racks.

To prepare frosting, combine powdered sugar, 2 tablespoons syrup, milk, and 2 teaspoons butter, stirring with a whisk until smooth. Spread frosting evenly over cooled cookies. Working quickly, sprinkle cookies with nuts.
Mmmm.....maple syrup...sounds good to me :thumb:

MudGrrl

AAAAH! Monkeys stole my math!
Mar 4, 2004
Boston....outside of it....
My mom always made these....

Chocolate Shadows

1/2 cup Chocolate chips, melted and cooled
1 1/4 cup Flour
1/2 cup Sugar
1/2 cup Brown sugar
3/4 cup Baking soda
1/2 tsp Salt
1/2 cup Butter
1/2 cup Peanut butter
1 x Egg
1/2 tsp mint extract (optional)

Heat oven to 375 degrees F. In small saucepan over low heat, melt chocolate chips, stirring constantly. Add mint. Remove from heat; let cool. Lightly spoon flour into measuring cup; level off. In large bowl, combine remaining ingredients; mix well. Add melted chocolate and stir just enough to marble. Shape dough into 1 inch balls; place 2 inches apart on ungreased cookie sheets. Flatten with bottom of glass dipped in sugar. Bake at 375 degrees F. for 8 to 11 minutes or until light golden brown. Let cool 1 minute before removing from cookie sheets.
Yield: about 3 1/2 dozen cookies (2 cookies per serving).

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
I just found a recipe for a chocolate cookie with dried cherries and chocolate chunks in it. It's supposed to taste like a chocolate covered cherry....I think I will try baking some and see how they turn out.

DaveW

Space Monkey
Jul 2, 2001
The bunker at parliament
ANZAC biscuits
A New Zealand and Australian classic
Tastes geat
Simple and quick to make
healthy to eat
:drool:
Ingredients

* 2 cups plain (non - self raising) Flour
* 1 cup Sugar
* 4 tablespoons Golden syrup (Cane syrup)
* 1 cup desiccated Coconut
* 2 cups rolled Oats
* 8 oz Butter

Procedure

1. Mix the dry ingredients in a bowl, and melt the syrup and butter in a saucepan. If necessary add a little water to the mix.
2. Mix the wet and dry ingredients and roll into small balls and flatten on oven trays
3. Bake at 150°C (300°F) for about 15 minutes.

The finished biscuits are quite chewy and crisp, with a long shelf-life.

Notes, tips, and variations

1. Using brown sugar instead of white sugar gives more colour and flavour
2. http://www.awm.gov.au/encyclopedia/anzac/biscuit/recipe.htm - Original WWI Recipe

in the trees

Turbo Monkey
May 19, 2003
NH
Heidi said:
OK - These cookies RULE:

Cookies:
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup butter, softened
1 large egg

Frosting:
1 cup powdered sugar

Remaining ingredient:

Preheat oven to 350°.

Spoon batter evenly into 30 mounds (about 1 tablespoon) 2 inches apart on baking sheets. Bake at 350° for 14 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool on pans 5 minutes. Remove from pans; cool completely on wire racks.

These ARE awesome! Thank you. I just made a trial batch this afternoon and they taste delicious. I've yet to add the icing (out of milk), but I'm sure it will add quite a bit to an already good cookie.

toby

reflux

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2002
G14 Classified
TreeSaw said:
I just found a recipe for a chocolate cookie with dried cherries and chocolate chunks in it. It's supposed to taste like a chocolate covered cherry....I think I will try baking some and see how they turn out.
Curious minds (mine) are dying to know, did you ever get around to trying these? If so, were they any good? Thanks.

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
reflux said:
Curious minds (mine) are dying to know, did you ever get around to trying these? If so, were they any good? Thanks.
They were good :drool: tasted just like black forest cake! Here's the recipe:

1 cup all-purpose flour (spooned & Leveled)
2 TBSP unsweetened cocoa
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
8 ounces semisweet or bittersweet chocolate chopped
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter cut into small pieces
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup packed dark-brown sugar
2 large eggs
1 package (12 oz) semisweet chocolate chunks
1 1/2 cups dried cherries

1. Preheat oven to 350. Line baking sheets with parchment paper & set aside.
2. In a medium bowl, wisk together flour, cocoa, baking powder & salt; set aside.
3. Place chopped chocolate and butter in a large heatproof bowl set over a pan of simmering water; stir until melted and smooth. Remove from heat and wisk in sugars, then eggs, until smooth.
4. Wisk in dry ingredients just until combined (do not overmix). Fold in chocolate chunks and dried cherries; press plastic wrap directly onto surface of dough and rrefrigerate until firm (about 30-45 minutes).
5. Drop mounds of dough (about equal to 2 TBSP) about 2 inches apart onto prepared sheets.
5. Bake until edges are firm, but not darkening (about 11-13 minutes). Cool on baking sheets 1-2 minutes; transfer to wire rack to cook completely.