Quantcast

Cooking for Dad

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
My dad is retired and lives alone. He tends to skip meals and eats crappy frozen dinners and the like when left alone. My diet however is mostly fruits and vegetables. I tend to cook using a lot of spices. My dad uses very little other then Salt and Pepper mostly. In fact he will salt things without even tasting them. I like Asian and Italian. He likes Friendlys.

He makes Pork Chops with Shake and bake in a pan. I make them with a Honey Mustard sauce on the grill. I like sweet Potato and Yams on the grill. He likes Mashed Potatoes with Butter and a ton of salt.

The thing he has me over on is Meatloaf. I love in all it's wondrous forms, Mushroom Gravy, Beef Gravy, Ketchup, or Cheddar cheese, no matter. He makes it out of Veal, Pork, Venison, and Beef. Sometimes with crackers, sometimes with Stuffing cubed stale white bread. It always turns out awesome no matter how he makes it.

The next day if he made enough I make a meatloaf sandwich out of the leftovers. I tend to rate meals on how I ride the next day. If I ride like crap and feel slow and sluggish I know that I haven't fueled up properly. After meatloaf I always have a good day.

So every Saturday I go to the Public Market and buy all my fruit and veggies. I have been stocking my Dads fridge every week. Most of it gets thrown out sadly.

Sharing our cooking and food resources has brought us together. Its all good.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
He had wild turkey dinner with Squash and spinach stuffing. The stuffing had wild rice in it, Chicken livers too. I am looking forward to the leftovers.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
I made Meatballs and Sauce with fresh spaghetti. I stuffed Orange peppers with Sausage and porcini shrooms, garlic, and Parmesan cheese. I then took the remaining mixture and formed it into patties sautéed them and had them for lunch with a simple salad. Italian mix, carrots, kalamata olives, finely chopped green pepper, again finely chopped shallot, and a small piece of Feta crumbled small for distance. If you live near a Wegmans you have to try Gianelli Garlic and Cheese Sausage. Top effin notch....

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
I made Meatballs and Sauce with fresh spaghetti. I stuffed Orange peppers with Sausage and porcini shrooms, garlic, and Parmesan cheese. I then took the remaining mixture and formed it into patties sautéed them and had them for lunch with a simple salad. Italian mix, carrots, kalamata olives, finely chopped green pepper, again finely chopped shallot, and a small piece of Feta crumbled small for distance. If you live near a Wegmans you have to try Gianelli Garlic and Cheese Sausage. Top effin notch....
I made the stuffed peppers for my friends family. They invited me to Seattle to teach the staff at the Learning Kitchen and related restaurant how to make my Bar Food recipes. My recipe book is brimming with good stuff... I guess Pizza in Seattle is pretty bad. My Cheese Steaks are the best you ever had. I told them I would come out there when they finish building the Coal Fired Oven. I just made some thin crust pizzas in my friends wood fired oven. Olives, Onions, Fresh Garlic sliced super thin with a Razor, and Meatballs with Ricotta, Locatelli, and Mozzarella. I put the pitted olives on a spoon handle and slice them like a apple peel. I made 4 pizzas and they were all devoured in 15 minutes. I had to make an extra pizza just for myself. I really need a food processor. 1000deg. is fun to play with. Meatballs bake instantly. Chicken Fat evaporates and caramelizes in a blink of an eye!

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
I'm not sure why meatloaf was so hated for so many years. It is amazing!

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
i've started cooking my meatloaf in a cast iron skillet. and i add cheese to the mix. epic.
I cook them until just done. After it cools a bit I slice it up and me and dad utilize the slices into sandwiches. While its cooking on the skillet I put Worcestershire sauce, Spicy Ketchup, and Muenster cheese on it. Wegmans French bread FTW! I had a garbage plate today and then rode West bay.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Shake and bake is something more than a line from Talladega Nights?

What are Friendlys?

Apologies, I'm Australian, we haven't got all your crap yet.

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
meat loaf sandwiches with jalapeno slices and mustard is one of my favorites!

We usually add fresh chopped ginger into our meatloaf too. tasty!

Last edited: