Quantcast

Cooking with Habanero. What to know?

Dog Welder

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Pasadena, CA
Aside from wearing gloves and not scratching your eyes or taking a leak what do I need to know? I'm planning on using them in a chili, mostly for flavor since I have jalapeno and serrano pepers going in as well. Do i discard the seeds or keep them in? anything else?

Greyhound

Trail Rat
Jul 8, 2002
Alamance County, NC
Habenero........whew, you're asking for trouble, my friend. And this is coming from a certified pepper aficianado. But, if it's what you desire, may I suggest that you go very easy---since you already have a combo of serrano and jalapeno(excellent choice) take only a half of a habenero and finely dice(and I mean super-fine) it and add in the last 10 minutes of cooking. Use gloves if possible.......it sounds like you're pretty familiar with the repercussions of getting the oil in unwanted orfices, so I'll spare you the lecture.

Habenero's can be an excellent accent to any Southwest(or Asian) cuisine, but they really, really have to be used in a supporting role rather than up-front-and-center in the flavor. Don't be brave, don't be a tough-guy......just use the habenero in a very reserved manner, and you'll find that most people will compliment your creations---rather than run screaming into the cold, dark night after a tablespoon of your hellfire concoction. Good luck, and let us know how it turns out.

Whoops....forgot to tell you. Leave the seeds out......they're no good for you anyway.

Dog Welder

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Pasadena, CA
Habenero........whew, you're asking for trouble, my friend. And this is coming from a certified pepper aficianado. But, if it's what you desire, may I suggest that you go very easy---since you already have a combo of serrano and jalapeno(excellent choice) take only a half of a habenero and finely dice(and I mean super-fine) it and add in the last 10 minutes of cooking. Use gloves if possible.......it sounds like you're pretty familiar with the repercussions of getting the oil in unwanted orfices, so I'll spare you the lecture.

Habenero's can be an excellent accent to any Southwest(or Asian) cuisine, but they really, really have to be used in a supporting role rather than up-front-and-center in the flavor. Don't be brave, don't be a tough-guy......just use the habenero in a very reserved manner, and you'll find that most people will compliment your creations---rather than run screaming into the cold, dark night after a tablespoon of your hellfire concoction. Good luck, and let us know how it turns out.

Whoops....forgot to tell you. Leave the seeds out......they're no good for you anyway.

What should I do with the Serrano and Jalapeno? How much, I"m making a fairly large pot 8-10quart. Seed out? and when should I put them in? I'll be using a store bought Carroll Shelby's Chili kit.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
ventilation.

I had no experience, started chopping and maced myself. Kitchen was uninhabitable for 30 minutes. :D

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
ventilation.

I had no experience, started chopping and maced myself. Kitchen was uninhabitable for 30 minutes. :D
everytime I stick the cutting board under hot water after chopping up habs its like pepper spray to the face. I always forget though and I still do it every time.

Qman

Monkey
Feb 7, 2005
"chili kit"? for next time, there's tons of great chili recipes on the net.

everyone here has pretty solid advice. with most hot peppers, if you throw the seeds in, you'll increase the heat and possibly pain index of your dish exponentially so if it's flavor you're after, do away with the seeds. i slice them lengthwise, remove the seeds and finely chop.

use the trash, not the garbage disposal to discards seeds and stems. if you forget, you won't forget next time.
narlus knows his $hit so i'd probably try roasting them.
above all, don't forget to wear those gloves.

skyst3alth

Monkey
Apr 13, 2004
Denver, CO
My girlfriend and I bought a couple to put in something we were making, some pasta dish, knowing they were hot but not THAT hot.

She was cutting them up, i popped by the kitchen and she goes "I dunno, these don't seem that hot". So i pop a big chunk in my mouth and go "Yeah, it's not tha.......:SDKF:KAJ:KLFE:JS", and I was out.

Then, she wasn't wearing gloves...and her hands started to burn...and then she realized she had wiped her face and nose about 5 minutes into cutting them....

needless to say, it was not a very pleasant night for either of us :x

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
no, i just have access to a grill or oven. :D

i find that roasting the pepper gives a very good flavor, and moderates the heat as well. it's good for use in marinades.

Nobody

Danforth Kitchen Whore
Sep 5, 2001
Toronto
no, i just have access to a grill or oven. :D

i find that roasting the pepper gives a very good flavor, and moderates the heat as well. it's good for use in marinades.
we are both talking about these little bastards, right?:

...about 4cm long 3cm wide and thin as hell in the husk?

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
I've go on a limb and give Narlus the benefit of the doubt - he knows what a habanero is.

But I have to ask, are you roasting outside or something? Don't you get hellacious, eye-burning fumes?

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
i've done it on the grill. cooked 'em enough to char the outer skin, then using gloves i take the charred bits off, core and seed, chop and put in the mix.

og, to guard against noxious fumes i actually rent rob's dad as a vent.

Nobody

Danforth Kitchen Whore
Sep 5, 2001
Toronto
i've done it on the grill. cooked 'em enough to char the outer skin, then using gloves i take the charred bits off, core and seed, chop and put in the mix.

og, to guard against noxious fumes i actually rent rob's dad as a vent.
Wow. You win on that one. Hat's off.

pnj

Turbo Monkey till the fat lady sings
Aug 14, 2002
seattle
dont pee or scratch your hoo-ha before thoroughly washing your hands.
sometimes it doesn't matter if you wash your hands five times. touch your eyes the next day and it still burns...

I pretty much use habs in every dish I cook, if it's for myself. If I'm cooking for others, I'll leave them out.
I simply cut them up, remove the seeds for texture reasons and throw 'em in the dish.

I've never had good luck with roasting them. They seem to fall apart too easily. I roast all the other peppers though.

Feb 23, 2005
Spokanada
For my chilli, I always add the peppers last. I split them and de-seed, then mash-em in my food processor...I always add a little extra garlic at this stage as well. The paste is then added to the pot 30 minutes prior to serving.

Great flavor and a super easy way to control the heat.