Quantcast

Cookware - Anodized Aluminum or Stainless

geargrrl

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2002
pnw -dry side
I really HATE the calphalon I nonstick ( glorified teflon) that I recieved as a gift and I am going to replace it pretty darn quick. The non stick coating is just to fricken fragile no matter how careful we are, it's flaked off on the pot we boil water in for pasta, I just hate it ( and never mind the carcinogens)

so, stainless or hard anodized aluminum? I'm looking at two sets that costco has... forget the $500 set, the one I have now needs handling with kid gloves ( see above) Polishing stainless exteriors is not my idea of a fun time and I probably would not do it.

Comments, anyone? Am I thinking right to look at these options? I'd be hardpress to look at spendy cookware again, this Calphalon II set is a serious $400 dissapointment. And, last but not least, the anodized alu is NOT teflon, right?

gg

edit, costco sure gets good ratings from epinions...
http://www.epinions.com/hmgd-Cookware-All-Kirkland_Signature_Professional_Anodized_Cookware_14_Piece_Set/display_~reviews

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Sets are a good deal but I suggest you pick and choose each item. Figure out what you like for each application, get really good quality stuff, and it'll last forever - probably just get better with age.

For me there is no reason to have a non-stick stock pot, regular steel or aluminum should be fine, and cheaper. But I like having 8" and 10" non-stick pans for lots of things, especially eggs. I also like a couple cast iron pans for different purposes like searing meat, toasting nuts, etc. (And those are really cheap.) I have some heavy stainless pans but don't seem to reach for them as much as the others. I'd also recommend an enameled cast iron dutch oven for braising and a 4 quart chef's pan like this - I use this pan probably more than any other, great for one-dish stuff, especially pastas, risotto, etc:

Honestly, I'm surprised you're having a durability issue. I don't know the differences between the various calphalon designations, but their non-stick coatings are generally pretty durable if you don't put them in the dishwasher - the heat dries the coating and causes flaking and cracking. I use plastic or wood instead of metal utensils and they seem to last fine. I find that the hard anodized stuff doesn't last as long as anything else, mainly because you have to scrub it so hard to get clean that over time you scrub right through. Hard anodized is like the worst of both worlds - you have to baby it like non-stick but it's not non-stick...

geargrrl

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2002
pnw -dry side
Honestly, I'm surprised you're having a durability issue. I don't know the differences between the various calphalon designations, but their non-stick coatings are generally pretty durable if you don't put them in the dishwasher - the heat dries the coating and causes flaking and cracking. I use plastic or wood instead of metal utensils and they seem to last fine. I find that the hard anodized stuff doesn't last as long as anything else, mainly because you have to scrub it so hard to get clean that over time you scrub right through. Hard anodized is like the worst of both worlds - you have to baby it like non-stick but it's not non-stick...

I don't know why we are having such problems either. All the metal utensils got put away when I got this set. We only use nylon, plastic or bamboo. Special recommeded scrubbies. It's all hand washed and dried. It's all stored individually, no stacking. I swear, it seems like we look at it funny and it gets little divots in it.

So far, the vote is for stainless over the anodized aluminum?

btw, I totally agree about regular cookware, with one or two nonstick items for special use. The full set of Calphalon nonstick was a gift so I didn't have much say in it.

I do have some cast iron that I've had for years ( skillets, DO) and a enamel DO that gets used all the time.

gg

Nobody

Danforth Kitchen Whore
Sep 5, 2001
Toronto
Get warranted pots and ebay'em to fund the new ones.
That was my point - just forgot to make it fully.

Stainless is good for people who know how to control heat. They're the worst thing I've ever used for eggs, though.

I use a Swiss Diamond for most of my cookware - nonstick, about $80-100 per pan/pot.

My issue is about clean up as much as anything - but remember, I'm often cooking in other peoples kitchens under a time constraint...

Toodles.

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
My mother-in-law just bought us some Circulon pro stuff for a house warming gift. How are they? I've been using Kirkland stuff for the last 8 years and they've been perfect.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
I don't know why we are having such problems either. All the metal utensils got put away when I got this set. We only use nylon, plastic or bamboo. Special recommeded scrubbies. It's all hand washed and dried. It's all stored individually, no stacking. I swear, it seems like we look at it funny and it gets little divots in it.

So far, the vote is for stainless over the anodized aluminum?

Weird. Sounds defective or just plain crap, possibly less expensive or something? Sounds like to you take better care than I do and I've had some non-stick stuff for many years.

Buy yeah I vote stainless over anodized, and picking up a separate decent non-stick for eggs. If you go stainless, I'd suggest getting some with an aluminum base or core to avoid hot spots.

Nobody

Danforth Kitchen Whore
Sep 5, 2001
Toronto
My mother-in-law just bought us some Circulon pro stuff for a house warming gift. How are they? I've been using Kirkland stuff for the last 8 years and they've been perfect.
I hated the Circulon stuff - after a while, very hard to clean up. and the 'peaks' on the rings was more prone to scraping.

oops.

ito

Mr. Schwinn Effing Armstrong
Oct 3, 2003
Avoiding the nine to five
My new favorite toy in the kitchen is a non-stick smooth griddle that I picked up for $20 at Bed, Bath, and Beyond. Other than that I'm using an old stainless Revere Ware set. The stuff is burly and easy to handle.

I haven't used much of the ano aluminum stuff, but what I have seemed to work well (though it was my parent's and probably $$$). I dig my stainless set. If you want to save money I know I have seen nice old stainless sets at secondhand stores and such.

The Ito

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
Stainless is good for people who know how to control heat. They're the worst thing I've ever used for eggs, though.
Warm up the pan on med-low heat and add oil, let it sit for a few moments and add the eggs. Keep the heat down and the pan oiled well and no problem.

I use olive oil or coconut oil.

Remember, keep the damn heat down.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Is Telfon the sole coating these days for non-stick? I think a year ago or so they came out with a stronger link as a carcinogen.

Nonstick cookware may cause cancer

Teflon firm faces fresh lawsuit

Also from other telfon sources, its really not certain at this point:

[url=http://www.wecf.de/cms/articles/2006/02/teflon.php]Teflon chemical found in infants[/url] said:
Researchers with the Washington-based Environmental Working Group, a watchdog organization, believe the chemical may be released through the breakdown of fast-food packaging and stain-proof carpets, furniture and clothes, ending up in food, house dust, air and drinking water.