Cool, a super-mega rock star is spokesman for the poor

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
N8 said:
But you admit you are not a fan.
Aye.

I also admit that I find Bono self-righteous and egotistical. But I would never go so far as to say he's not genuine in his efforts. He's got a save-the-world complex... as complexes go, that's a pretty good one to have, and unlike most he's actually quite effective at it.

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
just sittin' here drinkin' scotch
ohio said:
Aye.

I also admit that I find Bono self-righteous and egotistical. But I would never go so far as to say he's not genuine in his efforts. He's got a save-the-world complex... as complexes go, that's a pretty good one to have, and unlike most he's actually quite effective at it.
Exactly.... Though I don't mind U2 music. I'm not a HUGE fan, but I won't change the station if they come on the radio.... Edge is a pretty sorry excuse for a guitar player though. That one riff is getting tired....

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
ZoRo said:
Bono with Bush... Whoa, who is he gonna have lunch with next time, Saddam Mut******* Hussein!!! I mean with Bush, it's always the story of same s**t different brew. When it's not Bono, it's the poor black people in New-Orleans and when it's not with them, it's with the good people in Irak that owe him the greatest gift of all: Freedom.

Wow, really, that guy is pushing me down the curb: "Run for your lives, here comes Western Civilization" with a special bonus: freedom. Wow, with freedom like that, i'd rather be in the Soviet Union in 1910...
We have done a great job in world politics:

We supported with money and weapons:

Saddam Hussein
Taliban
Manuel Noriega
Ferdinand Marcos
Shah of Iran

We have also done a bang up job in places like Rwanda and Kosovo.

I am not saying we are North Korea or China, but we can improve our politics.

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
sanjuro said:
We have done a great job in world politics:

We supported with money and weapons:

Saddam Hussein
Taliban
Manuel Noriega
Ferdinand Marcos
Shah of Iran

At least at the time, those SOB's were our SOB's... instead of the Soviet's.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
sirknight6 said:
I can see you’re a Christian of convenience, only when it’s convenient for you. Personal attacks of faith is very Christian…:rolleyes:
You clearly have NO idea what you're talking about.
Narlus, Changleen, no comment....:rolleyes:
:p

Someone disagrees with Bono being a self proclaimed leader, and if some of you would apply logic, can see, that not only is the Bono discussion silly, but the original posting by N8, was pretty accurate.
Real responsibility is taken, not given.
I have made my point, I have read the responses, and therefore, I am concluded with this particular topic.
So your 'christian' input remains that Bono sucks for trying to help the poor? Well, I think that's one of the gayest things I've heard for a while.
See, part of the freedom of choice is, instead of getting angry, or flaming, as in the case of the all in wonder, all knowing, world renowned theological scholar, Changleen, I choose to ignore the sad sorry commentary. I also choose to ignore the personal attack on my faith, or any question thereof.
That wasn't an attack, or a flame, it was an observation of the obvious hypocracy of your position, which you seem utterly unable to defend.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
ohio said:
Well, I'm not a U2 fan (not since Joshua Tree at least) so it's a greater service to me that he's devoting his time, money, and celebrity to a far more pressing cause.
:stupid:

ZoRo

Turbo Monkey
Sep 28, 2004
MTL
N8 said:
ZoRo is canadian... give 'em a break.

:p
Not canadian, Québécois, there is a difference here but I agree I should be flamed by saying Soviet Union in 1910, that's a real dumb historical mistake.

But FFWD 10 years from that date and it's Stalin that's in control of Russia. Now what would I prefer, being in the Goulags or in Guantanamo? Humm, close call!!

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Bono should just wait and work to cure some disease or ailment after he or a family member contracts it.

fluff

Monkey Turbo
Sep 8, 2001
Feeling the lag
ZoRo said:
Not canadian, Québécois, there is a difference here but I agree I should be flamed by saying Soviet Union in 1910, that's a real dumb historical mistake.

But FFWD 10 years from that date and it's Stalin that's in control of Russia. Now what would I prefer, being in the Goulags or in Guantanamo? Humm, close call!!
Are you trying for a hat-trick? 1920 does not see Stalin in control of the Soviet Union yet...

ZoRo

Turbo Monkey
Sep 28, 2004
MTL
PonySoldier said:
...More like a subspecies of Canadian who tend to act a wee bit superior to "other" Canadians..
Yo bunch of mutherfockers americans asshole, can't you even see that you are sending the whole world to hell right now and you were dumb enough to reelect that son of a w*re Bush!! Yeah, never been so proud of being a Québécois and Canadian, just the slimest thought of living in your piece of trash segrated country makes me sick.

Good job guys, uhhhh, I mean good job USA!!

ridetoofast

scarred, broken and drunk
Mar 31, 2002
crashing at a trail near you...
ZoRo said:
Yo bunch of mutherfockers americans asshole, can't you even see that you are sending the whole world to hell right now and you were dumb enough to reelect that son of a w*re Bush!! Yeah, never been so proud of being a Québécois and Canadian, just the slimest thought of living in your piece of trash segrated country makes me sick.

Good job guys, uhhhh, I mean good job USA!!
cheese eating surrender monkey...

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
Now that we're done ripping on that, I still want those numbers that show Iron Maiden outselling U2 worldwide.

It's a fact, right? Shouldn't be too hard to find a source...

kinghami3

Future Turbo Monkey
Jun 1, 2004
Ballard 4 life.
Andyman_1970 said:
“Christianity is about freedom of choice?" Really? I think you’ve missed the point of several of my posts about what it means to be a disciple – choice in that context is not the focus, loving others sacrificially, living as Jesus taught, is the point. We have the freedom choice, but it is not what being a follower of Jesus is “about” – read the passage in Luke about dying to yourself and taking up your cross daily.
I think what SK6 means is that the essence of Christianity is the freedom to choose to love God and the freedom to hand our lives over to Him. I guess this has a lot to do with whether or not you believe in predestination.

I give real Props to Bono. He gives the time he has for people who aren't in the position to represent themselves. Just because he is using his fame to help his cause is not self-righteousness, it's taking advantage of Godly provision.

N8, those $15 billion Bush is giving to AIDS in Africa is OUR money. I'm glad he is doing that, but I find it hard to believe that it was a real, heartfelt sacrifice on his part.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
Silver said:
Now that we're done ripping on that, I still want those numbers that show Iron Maiden outselling U2 worldwide.

It's a fact, right? Shouldn't be too hard to find a source...
well, what the actual source won't reflect is the huge sales of "Terror in the Kremlin" bootleg when Stalin joined the band for a while but never officially released anything.

ZoRo

Turbo Monkey
Sep 28, 2004
MTL
fluff said:
I'm at a loss for words...

Isn't there 4 strikes when you play baseball? By the way, 1920 was the time when the cold war was raging between USa and Russia so Stalin knew that with the new bomb in his hands, he could strike down Roosevelt with the push of a button or a call on the mytic "red phone"

check your sources bro, history is my major!

ZoRo

Turbo Monkey
Sep 28, 2004
MTL
MMike said:
Funny that he and I are a product of the same education system...

So who's this "Stalin" guy you guys keep talking about anyway?

Parles-tu français? As-tu étudié au Québec ou ailleur au Canada? Je suis sur que tu connaît Staline mais qu'en fait, son nom rime trop avec poutine, plat de choix qui tient à coeur les Québécois.

Produit de "same" système d'éducation!

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
just sittin' here drinkin' scotch
ZoRo said:
Parles-tu français? As-tu étudié au Québec ou ailleur au Canada? Je suis sur que tu connaît Staline mais qu'en fait, son nom rime trop avec poutine, plat de choix qui tient à coeur les Québécois.

Produit de "same" système d'éducation!
I grew up in frickin' Baie d'Urfe smart guy. I went to John Abbott and Concordia. And I currently live in the 514 area code.......and voted NO in the 1995 referendum.........

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
ZoRo said:
Isn't there 4 strikes when you play baseball? By the way, 1920 was the time when the cold war was raging between USa and Russia so Stalin knew that with the new bomb in his hands, he could strike down Roosevelt with the push of a button or a call on the mytic "red phone"
This can only be the work of a highly skilled troll.

Or a total moron.

One of the two.

Back to the topic of the thread: has anyone ever actually heard of African AIDS victims complaining that Bono doesn't speak for them? That they don't want his help? Didn't think so.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
ZoRo said:

check your sources bro, history is my major!
Holy ****, stay in school. Cold war in 1920 huh? The bomb huh?

Are you completely flippin' retarded? Now i know why i voted to send you idiots out to sea on a ship and have it blown to pieces. Yes, my write in election ballot ruled.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
MMike said:
I grew up in frickin' Baie d'Urfe smart guy. I went to John Abbott and Concordia. And I currently live in the 514 area code.......and voted NO in the 1995 referendum.........
:D Yet another beatdown. Thrown The south shore, Vanier, Concordia in there for me before I moved out of this hellhole. It'd be such a nice place without the likes of zoro and his cronies.

Also throw in that I was in "langue maternelle" stream the entire time I had to suffer in Quebec, and that i am currently typing this from ste anne de bellevue.