Quantcast

Cool, a super-mega rock star is spokesman for the poor

ZoRo

Turbo Monkey
Sep 28, 2004
MTL
MMike said:
I grew up in frickin' Baie d'Urfe smart guy. I went to John Abbott and Concordia. And I currently live in the 514 area code.......and voted NO in the 1995 referendum.........
You voted NO! You voted NO! Well, good for you! It's kind of pathetic when you think you are in Québec and you went to english school all the way.

What are you doing here, looking at all the hot french girls, Baie d'Ufré smart guy!

Hell, this tread is getting pathetic

ZoRo

Turbo Monkey
Sep 28, 2004
MTL
Transcend said:
Ya, the difference is the one's who say that are flaming morons.
:thumb:
And you are pathetic case of being a moron, another of those anglo-québécois. Can't we just get rid of those, send'em down South or West pleassssseeee.

ZoRo

Turbo Monkey
Sep 28, 2004
MTL
Salut, je suis le roi des singes, je suis tellement souple que je peux faire comme Marylin Manson

ZoRo

Turbo Monkey
Sep 28, 2004
MTL
Ce tread m'appartient, je suis le roi de la chaîne alimentaire, le roi des primates.

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
You know, 90% of the people from Quebec I've ever met are the nicest people in the world. I've found that they pay for that though, because the other 10% are the most ignorant and obnoxious people on the face of the planet.

Anyone else have this experience, or is it just me?

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Silver said:
You know, 90% of the people from Quebec I've ever met are the nicest people in the world. I've found that they pay for that though, because the other 10% are the most ignorant and obnoxious people on the face of the planet.

Anyone else have this experience, or is it just me?
OHHH ya. But actually it is more like 60-40. The metropolitaine people are usually pretty ok, no matter their political leanings. The coutry bumpkins however...wow. Just wow.

ZoRo

Turbo Monkey
Sep 28, 2004
MTL
Transcend said:
OHHH ya. But actually it is more like 60-40. The metropolitaine people are usually pretty ok, no matter their political leanings. The coutry bumpkins however...wow. Just wow.
You got it right my friend, straight from the bush of Amos, down to the city, Davy Crocket style!

Can you ever realize how somebody lowlife like me made his way to a message board like RideMonkey!!?!??!?!? What a shame it is...
;)

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
Transcend said:
Maybe the assholes tend to stay in Quebec? That might account for the different ratio I've experienced...

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Silver said:
Maybe the assholes tend to stay in Quebec? That might account for the different ratio I've experienced...
I am positive this is the case. They wouldn't want to mingle with the rest of the world who are so vastly inferior to them & their culture.

MMike will back me up, the attitude gets a little old in a hurry when you have to live with it day in and day out. Zoro is pretty much the poster child for the young francophone separatist.

The ones who tend to be this way, also tend to be from the more backwater areas of the province. Of course there are large exceptions to the rule, but the further you get from the major centers (where it is pretty obvious that english/chinese/indian etc is necessary to conduct global business) the more obvious it becomes.

Of course, they did lose the last referendum by about 3% I believe (it was predicted they would wion in a landslide victory), and it is expected that if they ever hold another one, it would be even more of a landslide for the "yes please let us stay part of Canada" faction.

The vast majority of Quebecers are great people. I have tons of friends here (french, english and everything else) that I would miss dearly if I moved back to the states. It is a pity that a few rotten apples spoiled the whole bunch, as it were.

What takes the cake tho, is that maybe 1 in 10 (random number, but pretty close I'd imagine from experience) of the seperatists have thought things through and actually have a plan of action, reasons to want to seperate etc. The rest are simply riding the "vive le Quebec" we hate anglophones, we hate Canada bandwagon that their friends/family/culture have created for them.

It really is a pity, because the province is beautiful, the culture is actually pretty exceptional for being smack dab in one of the most populated areas of north america (eastern seaboard). I think alot of people leave here after visiting with a bad taste in their mouth due to the 1 or 2 stupid people they met on their journeys.

Let's not even BEGIN to discuss the whacky politicians this province has created. From Parizeau to the current nutjob leader, Louise Beaudoin. Bush doesn't have anything on these guys. I think it must be something in the gravy....

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
Transcend said:
=

Let's not even BEGIN to discuss the whacky politicians this province has created. From Parizeau to the current nutjob leader, Louise Beaudoin. Bush doesn't have anything on these guys. I think it must be something in the gravy....
Hey, you still can't top Klein. Heading into a homeless shelter late at night, drunk on his ass, to yell at people to get jobs. That takes a kind of class that perhaps only a guy like N8 could really be capable of.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Silver said:
Hey, you still can't top Klein. Heading into a homeless shelter late at night, drunk on his ass, to yell at people to get jobs. That takes a kind of class that perhaps only a guy like N8 could really be capable of.
Well you have a good point there. I still think having a paid police force (public funds of course) to check the size of letters on signs screams whacko. It also screams incredible waste of public funds..and they wonder why the healthcare system is underfunded and schools have no books. Let's not forget the insane waste of funds for holding 2 referendums and campaigns to go with them.

As a student of politics, the system in this province is completely mind boggling. The rest of the country doesn't fare much better either....I'd almost take the electoral college. Notwithstanding clause my ass.

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
just sittin' here drinkin' scotch
Yep...sounds about right.

I must admit, when I was at Pratt and whitney, I met my first separatists. And what was weird though was that they were essentially "just like me". Same job, same age, same education, same interests. Growing up where I did, I was pretty much figured that the Quebec separatist was a ski-doo riding, Export A smoking, lumber jack shirt wearing, Lois jean wearing, no-tooth having, 4th grade educated moron. Now for the most part this is true. So it boggled my mind to meet guys like me that still wanted to separate. We spoke at length about it. We are still friends. I understood some of their points, but overall they are still crackpots. AND Quebec was very different back in 1996....I'm not sure how they feel nowadays. But one of them is essentially married to an Anglo from Ottawa

That aside, what Transcend said is spot on.

My american wife is doing her best to be a good sport about the quebec experience. But it makes it hard. At least with our current gov't (and not the separatist gov't they vote in every now and then), the craziness gets pushed to the back-burner so stuff like health care and education can be addressed......much to the disgust of guys like Zoro. He needs his culture protected......

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
MMike said:
Growing up where I did, I was pretty much figured that the Quebec separatist was a ski-doo riding, Export A smoking, lumber jack shirt wearing, Lois jean wearing, no-tooth having, 4th grade educated moron.
So they would be the Canadian/Quebec version of our "rednecks"?

Every country has to have their knuckle draggers.

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
stevew said:
So they would be the Canadian/Quebec version of our "rednecks"?

Every country has to have their knuckle draggers.
For the most part....but what's funny is that guys like Zoro and guys like The Amish and ridetoofast...though sworn enemies (because they don't come from the same place)...are EXACTLY the same... "keep the strange, different people out!!"

ZoRo

Turbo Monkey
Sep 28, 2004
MTL
One thing stays, it's easy to ignite a debate over the question with anglo-québécois. No, i'm not a young seperatist that wants the independance of Québec over everything. I spent 3 years in Whistler riding and talking to a bunch of people there that were wondering why this kind of reflexion would ever occur to sane people. They just love Canada, just as much as I do.

I don't come from the, bush rather from Québec City, I am currently enroled at UQAM and let me tell you that the fact I am able to express myself like that in english is a proof that I am not a complete moron like you guys tend to think (cause you know the real rednecks can't actually be bilingual right?!?!?). It easy to create a debate over who thinks they are the best and blablabla but the points remains. It's not constructive. We are tired of hearing about the Referendum, the people of Québec want to move on to something new, something that is gonna make a change in their everyday life, not a distant memory of something that almost happened.

But still, our country is officially bilingual. Ever tried to speak french in BC or AB? Noboby gives a fu** about french down there, why should we give a fu** about them?? The argument is simplistic but it examplify the tension that overshadows the french vs the rest of Canada tension.

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
Alright! It's on!!

ZoRo said:
I don't come from the, bush rather from Québec City,
mmmm....too easy

We are tired of hearing about the Referendum, the people of Québec want to move on to something new, something that is gonna make a change in their everyday life, not a distant memory of something that almost happened.
How do you figure? The PQ and the Bloc, and the Office de la langue francaise all still exist. If they wanted to move on, these entities should be dissolved. They are government "things" whose sole purpose is to break up canada.

But still, our country is officially bilingual. Ever tried to speak french in BC or AB? Noboby gives a fu** about french down there, why should we give a fu** about them?? The argument is simplistic but it examplify the tension that overshadows the french vs the rest of Canada tension.
Um...nobody gives a **** about quebec because quebec is a pain in the ass. "Ooooh we're a distinct society. Give us special treatment".

I resent the separatist movement so strongly it makes me sick. Our healthcare system is such crap compared to the US... and yet the Quebec gov't insists on spending tax dollars on stupid **** like the Office L.F. Anyone who is not a retard can see how stupid that is. Imposing what language people speak is more important than keeping them healthy??

Transcend...you're up.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
i heard iron maiden's sold so many records, they had to be a support act for Ozzy.

hmmm...when's the last time U2 was a support act? maybe in 1980?

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
MMike said:
I resent the separatist movement so strongly it makes me sick. Our healthcare system is such crap compared to the US... and yet the Quebec gov't insists on spending tax dollars on stupid **** like the Office L.F. Anyone who is not a retard can see how stupid that is. Imposing what language people speak is more important than keeping them healthy??

Transcend...you're up.
Don't forget that the supreme court of Canada agrees with you, only the morons in Quebec decided to use the not withstanding clause to overrule it.

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
narlus said:
i heard iron maiden's sold so many records, they had to be a support act for Ozzy.

hmmm...when's the last time U2 was a support act? maybe in 1980?
Everyone knows Deep Purple were way more popular. See here;
Deep Purple records sold- 24.2 quintillion
Iron Maiden records sold- 34.7 plus giveaways
U2 records sold- Pi cubed times 10
VB statistics prove Deep Purple is more popular than Jesus Mohammed times Buddha. Don't try to deny my rightness Narlus.:thumb:

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
As long as there's, you know, sex and drugs, I can do without the rock and roll

I do not, for one, think that the problem was that the band was down. I think that the problem *may* have been, that there was a Stonehenge monument on the stage that was in danger of being crushed by a dwarf. Alright? That tended to understate the hugeness of the object.

I really think you're just making much too big a thing out of it.

Making a big thing out of it would have been a good idea.

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
Nigel Tufnel: Look... still has the old tag on, never even played it.
Marty DiBergi: [points his finger] You've never played...?
Nigel Tufnel: Don't touch it!
Marty DiBergi: We'll I wasn't going to touch it, I was just pointing at it.
Nigel Tufnel: Well... don't point! It can't be played.
Marty DiBergi: Don't point, okay. Can I look at it?
Nigel Tufnel: No. no. That's it, you've seen enough of that one.

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA
St. Hubbins - Dozens of people spontaneously combust each year. It's just not really widely reported.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
"Now this..twisted old fruit here - "
"I'm just as God made me sir!"

:D