N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
Anyone see the silliness here... :p

Bono Discusses the World's Poor With Bush
NEDRA PICKLER, Associated Press Writer
2 hours, 14 minutes ago

WASHINGTON - Before getting on stage before his fans in a Wednesday night concert, U2 frontman Bono bent President Bush's ear about the world's poor.

The rock star and the president had lunch in the private dining room off the Oval Office, ordering from the menu at the same mess hall where White House staffers get their lunch. Bush, dressed in the classic presidential uniform of suit and red tie, also showed Bono, dressed in his trademark black jeans and sunglasses, around the Oval Office.

Bono told Rolling Stone magazine in an interview before they dined that he had no fear of meeting Bush or any other world leader.

"They should be afraid, because they will be held accountable for what happened on their watch," Bono told the magazine for an article on newsstands Friday. "I'm representing the poorest and the most vulnerable people. On a spiritual level, I have that with me. I'm throwing a punch, and the fist belongs to people who can't be in the room, whose rage, whose anger, whose hurt I represent.

"The moral force is way beyond mine, it's an argument that has much more weight than I have. So I'm not feeling nervous."

Over an hour and 40 minute meeting, Bono and Bush discussed debt relief, AIDS, malaria and world trade, said presidential spokesman Scott McClellan. McClellan said they also talked about the concerts that U2 was preparing to put on at Washington's MCI Center Wednesday and Thursday night.

In the Rolling Stone interview, Bono heaped praise on Bush for providing $15 billion to help fight AIDS in Africa, money that is helping pay for anti-retroviral drugs. He said he was disappointed that Bush and Congress had cut the Millennium Challenge program that gives foreign aid to countries that pursue political, economic and human rights reforms, but he'll keep pushing them to fund the full amount that the president promised.

Bono said he is "capable of having a row" if he doesn't get what he wants. He said he once criticized Bush for not getting the Millennium Challenge money out quick enough and was rebuked for it.

"One senator threw a newspaper at me in a meeting. 'How dare you disrespect the president of the United States!'" Bono told the magazine.

Bono said he doesn't support any president from the left or the right, but he has a hard time criticizing Bush after he has sent the money to Africa. He said he's made it clear that he doesn't support the war in Iraq, but he doesn't campaign against it because his main priority is helping the poor and disadvantaged.

"I work for them," Bono said. "If me not shooting my mouth off about the war in Iraq is the price I pay, then I'm prepared to pay it."

But, he added, "I'm a big-mouthed Irish rock star. Of course it frustrates me."

MTB_Rob_NC

What do I have to do to get you in this car TODAY?
Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
N8 said:
Nope, actually I see a dude that could be sitting any where he wanted doing nothing trying to make a difference.

You see something silly about that?

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
Mtb_Rob_FL said:
Nope, actually I see a dude that could be sitting any where he wanted doing nothing trying to make a difference.

You see something silly about that?

So who are the 'poor' that appointed him spokesman for them?

Slugman

Frankenbike
Apr 29, 2004
Miami, FL
N8 said:
So who are the 'poor' that appointed him spokesman for them?
You really just do not understand the concept of helping others do you...

I actually feel sorry for you when you post things like this. It's sad that a grown man could be so incredibly blind and ignorant.

Tenchiro

Attention K Mart Shoppers
Jul 19, 2002
New England
"They should be afraid, because they will be held accountable for what happened on their watch," Bono told the magazine for an article on newsstands Friday.
He is so naive and fiesty it's cute.

Andyman_1970

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2003
The Natural State
Bono is awesome, I'm glad he's being the "spokesman" for this. It's nice to see a Christian use their celebrity status to help repair and restore the world - helping the poor is a huge topic in the Bible.

N8, why is this "silly"?

ummbikes

Don't mess with the Santas
Apr 16, 2002
Napavine, Warshington
Okay N8...

I'll try and explain it.

N8 could you as an resolute supporter of Bush gain an audience with him? I would guess no.

Bono is no flakey singer like Barbera Striesand. His work for third world debt relief and logical financial support for Africa has been applauded by both conservative and liberal thinkers and power brokers. He is a "super-mega rock star" in the same way Reagan was a "film star." Does this make any sense?

Bono is: a rock star, and an internationally know politician.

He was simply meeting with another of a long list of world leaders that he discusses issues of mutual concern with.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
ummbikes said:
Okay N8...

I'll try and explain it.
Are you this patient with pets? I think a dog would get it before N8.

Helping the poor is SO icky and liberal.
:rolleyes:

SK6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 10, 2001
Shut up and ride...
Great cause, however the self appointment makes it self righteousness as opposed to righteous indignation.

What’s next? Officer Elvis? :p

SK6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 10, 2001
Shut up and ride...
Andyman_1970 said:
Bono is awesome, I'm glad he's being the "spokesman" for this. It's nice to see a Christian use their celebrity status to help repair and restore the world - helping the poor is a huge topic in the Bible.

N8, why is this "silly"?
So, what you’re saying is if I dislike Bono and question his motives, it makes it wrong? It makes me anti-Christian? I am a Christian, and very proud of that fact, and personally think it’s great, however, Christianity is about freedom of choice. God gave each and everyone of us freedom of choice.

N8 has a valid point. Bono, a singer of a rock group, self appoints himself, and has a meeting with the president of the United States, the same president that everyone makes fun of.

“Bono is not afraid of meeting a world leader like Bush…” :think: Unless I had something to hide, why would I be afraid?

“"They should be afraid, because they will be held accountable for what happened on their watch," Bono told the magazine for an article on newsstands Friday. "I'm representing the poorest and the most vulnerable people. On a spiritual level, I have that with me. I'm throwing a punch, and the fist belongs to people who can't be in the room, whose rage, whose anger, whose hurt I represent.”

I wonder, everyone criticizes Bush for freeing the people of Iraq, setting up their own democratic government, supplies the people with aid, and he should be afraid? How does that work? This isn’t silly? Come on……reality people, reality.

Ok, by definition, self-righteousness.

Just my 2 cent.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
N8 said:

Bono Discusses the World's Poor With Bush
NEDRA PICKLER, Associated Press Writer
2 hours, 14 minutes ago

WASHINGTON - Before getting on stage before his fans in a Wednesday night concert, U2 frontman Bono bent President Bush's ear about the world's poor.
Yeah, I see the silliness. What F... does Bush care about the Poor? Bono is wasting his time.

SK6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 10, 2001
Shut up and ride...
Slugman said:
You really just do not understand the concept of helping others do you...

I actually feel sorry for you when you post things like this. It's sad that a grown man could be so incredibly blind and ignorant.
How does N8's post make him blind and ignorant? Where does he say that he does not understand the concept of helping others?

I spend time 3 times a year in the Juvenile Justice system helping you men. It takes 2 months to prepare, and, I pay to do it….. I played 5 year in a Christian rock band, recorded and album, played so big venues, many times for free for kids…..I help feed the homeless…….I find Bono Silly……..do I not understand the concept of helping others

Yes, he can be a huge dick, but jeese……ok, who put the nose on him? Who did he turn into a newt? Did you get better? :p

I’m really not attempting to side with anyone, but ya know, even N8 can make a valid point every now and again.

SK6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 10, 2001
Shut up and ride...
MMike said:
Besides...I'm sure those poor people brought in on themselves by being lazy. They'd just spend any aid they got on booze and lap dances.
:think: I can be poor and get lap dances...... :thumb:

And all this time.....LOL!!!!!

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
just sittin' here drinkin' scotch
sirknight6 said:
but ya know, even N8 can make a valid point every now and again.
What are you basing that on? I've never seen it.

Like it was stated earlier. The guy is crazy rich and a ton of time on his hands. The fact that he is trying to do something rather than spending the rest of his days... I dunno...water skiing, is pretty admirable. He has the resources. He trying to make whatever difference he can.

Celebrities are generally self-important blow-hards. But at least in Bono's case he trying to do something good, in whatever capacity he can. I don't really see it as self serving. (which you of course do see with others). I do believe that Bono's intentions are sincere.

So I think that is good.

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
Seems to be Bush is the one who's actually doing something for the poor:

...Bush for providing $15 billion to help fight AIDS in Africa
Bush is also giving $'s to poor helpless folk for booze and lap dances as well. Is Bono? Nope....

reflux

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2002
G14 Classified
What's next? Are we going to call Bill Gates stupid and silly for the philanthropic work of his foundation?

What should Bono do? What alternative would make a difference in the world?

Andyman_1970

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2003
The Natural State
sirknight6 said:
So, what you’re saying is if I dislike Bono and question his motives, it makes it wrong? It makes me anti-Christian?
Settle down Beavis………..did I say that not supporting Bono made one a “bad” Christian? No………….. If someone wants to use their celebrity to feed the poor in the world, I’m less concerned about their motives and more concerned with are they actually doing it, or it is hot air. Bono actually does something.

I could careless what Bono believes on a certain topic. The deal is you rarely see Jesus judging people for their beliefs, but over and over Jesus says to those who claim to know God, who claim to be saved, who claim to follow Him and He says “I see your deeds and I spit you out of my mouth”.

The whole point of God saving us according to Ephesians 2:10 is that we would go do good deeds. For a Jewish rabbi (which Paul was) that is the mitzvot from the Torah, which were referred to as “the good deeds of Yahweh” these were to take care of the widows, take care of the poor, take care of the stranger in your midst, if someone needs a shirt give it to them……etc. Jesus’ little brother says that those who claim to follow Jesus but don’t take care of the needs of those around them have a dead faith. So I’m less concerned about Bono’s motives or what he believes on a particular topic, I’m just glad he’s doing his part as a follower of Jesus to bring Heaven to earth.

sirknight6 said:
I am a Christian, and very proud of that fact, and personally think it’s great, however, Christianity is about freedom of choice.
“Christianity is about freedom of choice?" Really? I think you’ve missed the point of several of my posts about what it means to be a disciple – choice in that context is not the focus, loving others sacrificially, living as Jesus taught, is the point. We have the freedom choice, but it is not what being a follower of Jesus is “about” – read the passage in Luke about dying to yourself and taking up your cross daily.

sirknight6 said:
God gave each and everyone of us freedom of choice.
I don’t disagree.

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
N8 said:
Seems to be Bush is the one who's actually doing something for the poor:
You know that $15 Billion in AIDS aid we promised? First off, I don't think we've delivered on it (Bush is, surprise, trying to push more of it into the future so that someone else can clean up his mess while he takes credit), and secondly, it's tied to all sorts of things like not mentioning condoms. So, we may be causing more cases than we prevent.

Here's a link from a notorious left wing rag about it:

http://www.economist.com/displaystory.cfm?story_id=4223619

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
N8 said:
What's Bono personally giving? Seems to me he's soliciting other people for money.
Good one. I think Bono is actually stealing the money for the poor so he can support his hair gel and sunglass habit.

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA
Silver said:
You know that $15 Billion in AIDS aid we promised? First off, I don't think we've delivered on it (Bush is, surprise, trying to push more of it into the future so that someone else can clean up his mess while he takes credit), and secondly, it's tied to all sorts of things like not mentioning condoms. So, we may be causing more cases than we prevent.

Here's a link from a notorious left wing rag about it:

http://www.economist.com/displaystory.cfm?story_id=4223619

And then there is also the issue that instead of buying fixed-dose combination (FDC) drugs which are the cheapest and easiest to administrate medicines to use from manufacturers in developing countries that had the technology in place. The government claimed that it had to go through the FDA's approval process which usually takes about 4 years but our Human and Health Service Secretary said that it could be waived, but it hasn't. Also, The government still wanted to do independent reviews which just so happens to allow larger US and British Medicine companies time to work on and introduce their own FDC's.

Anyway these countries can't use the funds to purchase these cheaper FDC's which are approved by the WHO.

So while I don't deny that the government is trying to help in the fight against AIDS, it sure looks like they helping Big Business and not using the money to it's full potential.

Slugman

Frankenbike
Apr 29, 2004
Miami, FL
sirknight6 said:
How does N8's post make him blind and ignorant? Where does he say that he does not understand the concept of helping others?
When feels the need to mock and cite things as 'silly' when someone is trying to do something to help other - that's how.

sirknight6 said:
I spend time 3 times a year in the Juvenile Justice system helping you men. It takes 2 months to prepare, and, I pay to do it….. I played 5 year in a Christian rock band, recorded and album, played so big venues, many times for free for kids…..I help feed the homeless…….I find Bono Silly……..do I not understand the concept of helping others.
But do you take time to mock others when they do something? Do you actively go out and attack those who try and use their celebrity to help 'the masses'? That is where I base my opinion. I think Bono is tool - but I don't go on the offensive when he tries to do good.

sirknight6 said:
Yes, he can be a huge dick, but jeese……ok, who put the nose on him? Who did he turn into a newt? Did you get better? :p
I have no idea what the hell you just said....

sirknight6 said:
I’m really not attempting to side with anyone, but ya know, even N8 can make a valid point every now and again.
Really... where and when?

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
N8 said:
What's Bono personally giving? Seems to me he's soliciting other people for money.
I'm sure his personal contributions are significant (I believe that I saw between 15% and 20%) but what's wrong with soliciting other people for money? I do it all the time for the local bike club. I hit up anyone and everyone I can at anytime to get money and resources for the club. I could never give the amounts that I can collect from other resources.

If he can lobby and get others to give money all the better. I'll give Bono this. He was able to get Jesse Helms involved and open his eyes. Even to this day it is rare that Jesse makes any speech where he doesn't mention the importance of supporting and providing money for programs for poverty and AIDS in Africa. Jesse said that it was Bono's relentlessness that finally opened his eyes to the severity of the problem.

SK6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 10, 2001
Shut up and ride...
Andyman_1970 said:
Settle down Beavis………..did I say that not supporting Bono made one a “bad” Christian? No………….. If someone wants to use their celebrity to feed the poor in the world, I’m less concerned about their motives and more concerned with are they actually doing it, or it is hot air. Bono actually does something.

I could careless what Bono believes on a certain topic. The deal is you rarely see Jesus judging people for their beliefs, but over and over Jesus says to those who claim to know God, who claim to be saved, who claim to follow Him and He says “I see your deeds and I spit you out of my mouth”.

The whole point of God saving us according to Ephesians 2:10 is that we would go do good deeds. For a Jewish rabbi (which Paul was) that is the mitzvot from the Torah, which were referred to as “the good deeds of Yahweh” these were to take care of the widows, take care of the poor, take care of the stranger in your midst, if someone needs a shirt give it to them……etc. Jesus’ little brother says that those who claim to follow Jesus but don’t take care of the needs of those around them have a dead faith. So I’m less concerned about Bono’s motives or what he believes on a particular topic, I’m just glad he’s doing his part as a follower of Jesus to bring Heaven to earth.

“Christianity is about freedom of choice?" Really? I think you’ve missed the point of several of my posts about what it means to be a disciple – choice in that context is not the focus, loving others sacrificially, living as Jesus taught, is the point. We have the freedom choice, but it is not what being a follower of Jesus is “about” – read the passage in Luke about dying to yourself and taking up your cross daily.

I don’t disagree.
hehe....hehe.....hehe....(a bad Beavis impersonation)…hey Butthead……..

1Now we who are strong ought to bear the weaknesses of those without strength and not just please ourselves. Romans 15:1

3Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit, but in humility consider others better than yourselves. 4Do not merely look out for your own personal interests, but also for the interests of others. Philippians 2:3-4

(This is my moto and scripture I use the most, first for myself, then to share with others.)

OK, all joking and jest aside, if this was meant strictly for the assistance of the less fortunate, and STRICLY for that, AND he’s a Christian, why advertise?

2"So when you give to the poor, do not sound a trumpet before you, as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and in the streets, so that they may be honored by men. Truly I say to you, they have their reward in full. Matthew 6:2

That’s why I put a comment about the things I do, it’s not for recognition, but for an example of what most all of us do.

So now, we address choice……God gave us freedom of choice. We can choose to follow Christ, or choose not too……….

19"I call heaven and earth to witness against you today, that I have set before you life and death, the blessing and the curse. So choose life in order that you may live, you and your descendants, 20by loving the LORD your God, by obeying His voice, and by holding fast to Him; for this is your life and the length of your days, that you may live in the land which the LORD swore to your fathers, to Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob, to give them."

Deuteronomy 30:19-20

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
sirknight6 said:
2"So when you give to the poor, do not sound a trumpet before you, as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and in the streets, so that they may be honored by men. Truly I say to you, they have their reward in full. Matthew 6:2

That’s why I put a comment about the things I do, it’s not for recognition, but for an example of what most all of us do.
If he is doing it to be honored then yeah that certainly would run afoul of this. BUT if he is blowing the trumpets to bring light upon the problem and bring more money and resources to bear then I'm not sure what the problem is. Celebrities using their status isn't necessarily a bad thing. Even if he is blowing his own horn to elevate himself, if the cause is forwarded..... I'm still not seeing the problem. (Beyond the answering to God for it).

Skeg

Chimp
Sep 22, 2005
so who voted for Bono??
What country was he elected in and to what position???

I think Bono is in it for himself not others,
I just thought he sang crappy songs and was a musician.

OK, I do like the first album but that was enough Bono for me...

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
Skeg said:
so who voted for Bono??
everyone who's ever bought a U2 cd or ticket voted. a dollar = a vote, and he's been voted as leader of the world's most popular band.

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA
Skeg said:
so who voted for Bono??

I think Bono is in it for himself not others,
I just thought he sang crappy songs and was a musician.

OK, I do like the first album but that was enough Bono for me...

And how about that Mother Teresa. Seriously, all she cared about was becoming a Saint :rolleyes:

SK6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 10, 2001
Shut up and ride...
He makes money by selling albums. Feed the poor or bite the head off a bat, its all FREE press.

Sorry, this is nothing but a publicity stunt for press.

Do charity to help, and tithe, but then do it quietly…….