Quantcast

Cool broken parts...

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
No pics of broken parts, but I've successfully mangled, bent, or worn out every component on a mountain bike except for the stem.

The sound of a BB shell being ripped off the frame is like someone very loudly tearing a soda can.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
No pics of broken parts, but I've successfully mangled, bent, or worn out every component on a mountain bike except for the stem.

The sound of a BB shell being ripped off the frame is like someone very loudly tearing a soda can.

I had a stem split longitudinally near the top of Mt St. Helens. It held together but was super flexy. Descended over 4000 ft putting no more weight on the bars than steering required. Luckily that trail is more about the views than the gnar.

I also found a giant crack in the head tube of a road bike after a long 50+ mph switchbacked descent.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
Luckily I have the ability to chase and face a Bottom bracket along with the tools. I am awesome for other reasons then that.

Blown240

Monkey
Nov 19, 2013
Ive broken Thomson stem face plates, and a pair of Trek Y bikes (back in the day), and 1 Klein frame. Also several Fox Alps rear shocks....

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Never had this happen before (until about a month ago). The pins holding the two gears to the spider failed on an XT cassette. Gears above and below were fine.
01109469d0506b97ac803f15da60382a73e8d430b3.jpg

ICEBALL585

Bacontard
Sep 8, 2009
.:585:.
Haven't broke anything major on the bikes in years (hopefully I didn't just jinx myself).

Broke a few spokes on the DH bike last year. Not 100% sure how but I'm guessing a rock was the culprit.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I am pretty good about changing chains out before they get too warn. Finally hit that point on the drivetrain where new chains didn't work well. Continuously ran the same chain/cassette/ring combo for 5 fucking years. When shifting finally went to shit the chain was 2" longer than a new chain with the same number of links.

rockofullr

confused
Jun 11, 2009
East Bay, Cali
Ive broken Thomson stem face plates, and a pair of Trek Y bikes (back in the day), and 1 Klein frame. Also several Fox Alps rear shocks....
I've had two break sitting in the garage. Use one of these to tighten them.

Super weird. I had the same thing happen to me this year. Stem was about 8yr old and had been chillin on the bike for years without any adjustment. Then I went to yank on the bars at the pump track at Sea Otter my bars were lose. Look down to find a cracked (into two pieces) face plate.

I ended up getting a bar and stem from Kore for $30 (thanks to The Dude) so I figured I should just forget about the warranty hassle. Did you guys try to warranty your stuff?

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
I ended up getting a bar and stem from Kore for $30 (thanks to The Dude) so I figured I should just forget about the warranty hassle. Did you guys try to warranty your stuff?
Definitely a fairly common event.

In the past, all I did was send the faceplate and a pre-addressed label to Thomson, and they would send a new one. Not sure they do that anymore.

They were only $10 for the faceplate if you ordered one.

Last edited:
I am pretty good about changing chains out before they get too warn. Finally hit that point on the drivetrain where new chains didn't work well. Continuously ran the same chain/cassette/ring combo for 5 fucking years. When shifting finally went to shit the chain was 2" longer than a new chain with the same number of links.
The pins must have been about 0.05" D at that point...

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007
Had my '06 888 lowers fly off mid-air at high speed. Broke my back and my helmet and all they did was rebuild the fork (with the same stantions that stabbed into the dirt as I "landed"). :rolleyes:

No pics, sorry guys