Quantcast

Cool illusion !

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
I saw that a while ago and actually downloaded the image and pulled apart the animated .gif frames because I thought there was some trickery going on... turns out there's not.

Weird. Cool illusion, though :thumb:

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
robdamanii said:
Sweet.

Maybe I should ask my neuro prof about this one.

Rods and cones man. Simple as that (I think?) Don't your color receptor thingies just get tired and start seeing the negative color?

Green opposite pink on the color wheel.

Edit: Oh yeah, and the light receptor thingies on the periphery of you vision are more sensitive to light and get tired faster. That's why if you stare at the center the dots disappear - you are using your peripheral vision.

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
jdschall said:
Rods and cones man. Simple as that (I think?) Don't your color receptor thingies just get tired and start seeing the negative color?

Green opposite pink on the color wheel.
:stupid:

given a continued stimulus things will adjust such that the stimulus is the new baseline. so pink is shifted to grey. when the pink really does turn into grey then this change is "subtracted" from the new (grey) baseline: green. i don't know why they all disappear tho. that might just be an attention thing independent of the other part of the illusion.

I Are Baboon

Vagina man
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Toshi said:
:stupid:

given a continued stimulus things will adjust such that the stimulus is the new baseline. so pink is shifted to grey. when the pink really does turn into grey then this change is "subtracted" from the new (grey) baseline: green. i don't know why they all disappear tho. that might just be an attention thing independent of the other part of the illusion.
I just ate a banana.

Toshi

Oct 23, 2001
Heath Sherratt said:
Half of what you see and none of what you hear...it takes some serious faith to live-"not by sight but by the word of God" doesn't sound so weird when you learn things like this.
how again does this show that faith is needed to live? this illusion is illustrating very well-defined physiology, and if anything shows that science can explain what might otherwise be seen as supernatural by the ignorant.

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
Toshi said:
how again does this show that faith is needed to live? this illusion is illustrating very well-defined physiology, and if anything shows that science can explain what might otherwise be seen as supernatural by the ignorant.

Come on. Give the guy a break. He can't help it if he's still stuck in the mindset of a pre-enlightenment, pre-renaissance European can he?

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Kids, lets not argue, lest this thread be banished with the millions of other religious discussions to the depths of the P.D. forum. You think any of you are going to change each other's minds on the subject anyway?

Mackie

Monkey
Mar 4, 2004
New York
jdschall said:
Yup, opponent process theory of color vision.

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
binary visions said:
Kids, lets not argue, lest this thread be banished with the millions of other religious discussions to the depths of the P.D. forum. You think any of you are going to change each other's minds on the subject anyway?

What was that? Did I just hear the voice of reason? Sorry Heath. I was just being a jerk. Please take no offense.

Toshi

Oct 23, 2001
jdschall said:
A few of those don't do anything for me. I guess I need to go and drink a big glass of OJ to get a little boost.
yeah, i don't see anything special with that last sunburst-looking one...?