Quantcast

cool things to do with wasted "useless" Tyres

patineto

The RM Mad Scientist
Feb 19, 2002
berkeley, ca
so over time i collect a bunch of old tyres i really like but became useless for a bicycle after sidewall cuts, tread cuts, damage beads, whatever..

i use some for frame protection before, but now i decide to put them all to a good use,, Yes all at Ones..

So i'm making a Dirty "work table" with what I have mounting the tyres over a a 2.5" by 5" plywood 3/4" thick..

I start on the left/high corner and a decide to only over lap wrap the tyres but also keep a big chunk of the sidewall

that prove to be a little to much trouble, with no real benefit at the end, so i cut all the sidewall to were the tyre tread starts, I'm just ussing a stapler gun to hold the treads in place with out much trouble.
the procedure is very simple, first the tread goes on top and then under, top, under you get the idea like a chest table.

to finish it I'm going to use another tyre attaching wood screws to hold the tyre with the ned of a fender washer

Sadlly I think I still need a few but this time i'm going to go by my favorite Lb's and try to find some donors to complete the project

be sure I will post more pictures when i'm done,,,, a.k.a.find the rest of the tyre I need...

for a later project I think i'm going to use some more tyres but this time saw them togheter on a Industrial sawing machine to make the "Ultimate" work matt that I can take to motorcycles shows and also when i play around with my bikes..

patineto

The RM Mad Scientist
Feb 19, 2002
berkeley, ca
BurlyShirley said:
what will the table be used for? Fileting fish or something?
Taking Motorcycle transmitions and engines apart.

I already seal the plywood so hopefully the little exess oil don't keep accumulating into it..

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
patineto said:
Taking Motorcycle transmitions and engines apart.

I already seal the plywood so hopefully the little exess oil don't keep accumulating into it..
Nice.

I blew up my RM125, want to fix it?

patineto

The RM Mad Scientist
Feb 19, 2002
berkeley, ca
BigMike said:
Dude, you always come up with the coolest things! Looks like a good work table, but its gonna be hard to clean.........
well that is why I call it a "Dirty work table" made mostlly for big heavy items that can still get scratch or damage on a hard surface like Pistons or tranny gears....

the later model the one i'm going to saw togheter hopefully will be a lot easier to clean since you can acess the top and bottom and use a big hose and a brush plus each side is going to be somehow "seal" (do to the sawing)

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
patineto said:
I start on the left/high corner and a decide to only over lap wrap the tyres but also keep a big chunk of the sidewall
You mean you "weave" them together?:p

Very cool practical re-use, i dig it.:thumb:

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
That looks cool all woven, at the shop I used to work at we had the bathroom covered in tires, but not woven together. The walls, ceilin, and floor. I'll try to find a picture. We had to tear it out because going inside a completly black 5'x5' room was a little dark, plus it was against the fire-code.

patineto

The RM Mad Scientist
Feb 19, 2002
berkeley, ca
Skookum said:
You mean you "weave" them together?:p

Very cool practical re-use, i dig it.:thumb:
Yeah Weave thanks.

I when to mike bike's to find some tyres, but they dump them not that long ago..

I did ask them to save me some, i'm also going to try to make one out of road bike tyres, i'm sure will be far more smoth but also require far more tyres since only about 20mm of the tyre will be useful...

also the Kevlar Beads made for a exelent super strong and skinny "strap" that you can loop one end of it over a tube or a roof beam and then hang something from it

something like this

i used rock climping tubular weaving for everything, is super strong and durable, i fold two of them like this when not in use.

well you get the idea, the kevlar part of the folding tyres can be use to make something similar to this, for example on a cars roof or somewere then strong and flexibility is really paramount.

this way the vector loads are far more aling, making the bags super solid.

patineto

The RM Mad Scientist
Feb 19, 2002
berkeley, ca
maxyedor said:
That looks cool all woven, at the shop I used to work at we had the bathroom covered in tires, but not woven together. The walls, ceilin, and floor. I'll try to find a picture. We had to tear it out because going inside a completly black 5'x5' room was a little dark, plus it was against the fire-code.
man i will love to see how it looks, but i will hate to be the guy that needs to clean it...

the possibilities are Endless...
Pickup truck beds, snowboard grip surface, slipery steps on a stair or latter, the bottom of a messanger bag with "Attitude"

the way I see it, most of the stuff made in current time, have parts far more durable than others, some times even if the tyre is useless for a bike because of a Cut, worn, blown,, etc can still be use for something else,,, don't even get me started on water, milk, juice container that you need them to last a week, but they can be use for months if not years, what a waste..

actually here is by far the best use for a "Useless" tyre on a bike shop, i'm being doing it for about 20 years so I don't even have pictures of it,,(I promise i take some soon) in fact you can see a "Crumm trail" (bread residue)of ricky's history since I costumize the racks at every place i work at or even enjoy like the Missing link, hank & frank and mike's bikes in berkeley ...

remenber how many lamme ass "mecanics" have the tendensy to hang the bike on the park stand holding just on the nose of the seat...!?!?!?
and then the seat cover gets all worn out and sonner or later the seat developes a tear do to the friction...!!!
well cut a piece of MTB tyre about 9" long and put it right on the top of the shinny part (other side of the linkage mecanisum) of the proffesional park work stand ussing 2/3 zipties ( One tyre will be suffient for about 11 stands,, believe me i know) if you are a mecanic (specially a lazzy one that does not extend the seat post to fit it on the clamp) you know what i'm taking about.

I promise i take fotos soon..

patineto

The RM Mad Scientist
Feb 19, 2002
berkeley, ca
actually as a little side note...

many years ago, when I use to teach industrial design at my school..

Ones i ask my class to bring a Completlly and absolutlly useless Object as next week home work...

A week later everybody got sometime after scratching their head trying to some find some thing what was totally garbage, from broken condoms, to humbrellas with out fabric, or water buckets with out a bottom...

well sadlly everybody fail since no matter how futile the object was, the minute that became your "Home work" earn a new "Usefull" status,,, the important part here is the concept and the perseption of the probable uses.

solving problems and figuring out new ways is all about the way you aproach a problem that is really going to bring you to a solution that is not the same way is being done before for millions of years but a new and hopefully a better way,,,

yes inventing crap is my pass time, most of the time is "Useless" but not in any more pointless way than a bicycle ride that brings you to the same place you start, since many times the important part of the exercice is the Jorney and not the destination..

patineto

The RM Mad Scientist
Feb 19, 2002
berkeley, ca
lovebunny said:
yeah. you lounge whores see what he did to his Mpire?
Oh man My New Nicolai Rules does were some 20 hours of work that will bring million mores of joy..

I rode the bike again today doing side-O,, so freaking nice..

but so so muddy and slippering

like Julian DH says...
'have you ever downhilled without a chain on the nicolai?"

My Response
yes is exactlly like that,,, chainless drive, that is do you want..!?!?

patineto

The RM Mad Scientist
Feb 19, 2002
berkeley, ca
mtnbrider said:
You have such cool, ideas...we need to get a mod in here to title you mad scientist.

I have so much old junk...: old tires, old, broken bike parts, and much more. I just keep it and get more, in case I find something to do with it.
Pictures of my shed full of junk: http://photobucket.com/albums/a132/mtnbrider/my shed/06 1 28shed/

Oh man i promise some day I will take pictures of the "Shed" were I live... Upss Apartment when i speak to my landlord.

ones a few years ago i rebuild two 600 pound Bmw 1100 GS motorcycles at the same time inside a 450 square foot studio on a second floor by my self, I took them apart on the street so i can lift them by my self (ussing pulleys and levers from some parts) fix them up fabricate stuff for them, build wheels for them (special 21" front wheel and a narrowere rear rim) paint them (kind off and for real) everything, take them apart so i can bring them down again and then rebuild them on the street.

here are pictures of one of them a few years later (I did not have a camara when i was building them)

My super fancy Crew

ready for battle

provably the stupidest things i even done on a motorbike..

100 mille race at the elsinore grand prix in 2004.

pretty soon I became a "Moving obstable" of the race since I was so much slower than the little tinny two strokes not to mension the guys were all Pro riders...

oh well I learn and then my "Grew" stay with me taking care of all the injuries..

patineto

The RM Mad Scientist
Feb 19, 2002
berkeley, ca
BKQuill said:
...and you used to teach?
I don't understand this one...

if the question is ask in a good way the answer goes something like this...
My tittles are from schools in sur america and they are not valid here unless i get another titlle to valid them, PhD in this case and I just don't have the money or the energy to go to shool for another 3 more years at this time..

plus i will need to get a bunch of teaching credentials,,, well I kind of found the happy medium, I rattle peoples brains a little on forums like this, give them a few menthal tools , some pracmatic leverage and also i try to inspire them to persue whatever their own dreams are, after all that is the function of a good teacher in my book.

patineto

The RM Mad Scientist
Feb 19, 2002
berkeley, ca
as I promise....
here are some pictures..

this is what my pennytech trick trys to avoid,, well improve..

i'm sure you see seats with the broken bottoms before from the friction with the rack.

well at least some people still do it right..

Yeap,, it works really well.

i hope you find this little trick helpful

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey

It's what I wear when I go to "black tie" events. :)

Patineto - you are one very inventive guy, I gotta say. Always good stuff... was just thinking about this the other day. I usually just throw my old tires out - but the table has kind of a cool snakeskin effect to it...

patineto

The RM Mad Scientist
Feb 19, 2002
berkeley, ca
S.K.C. said:

It's what I wear when I go to "black tie" events. :)
Dubble mega freaking Wow on that one....

Did you make it...!?!?

any more pictures..?
that will be the ultimate costume..

so freaking cool
Patineto - you are one very inventive guy, I gotta say. Always good stuff... was just thinking about this the other day. I usually just throw my old tires out - but the table has kind of a cool snakeskin effect to it...
well, ones man trash is another man treasure.

today I start sawing the road bike tyre floor mat actyually is really easy to do (at the moment at least since is light and small) but finding about 150 700C tyres is going to proof a little dificult for sure.

i show you progress soon.

patineto

The RM Mad Scientist
Feb 19, 2002
berkeley, ca
here are the pictures of the first finish product... well whatever you want to call it..

the weaving almost done,, i still need to count the tyres, but they were far to many.

the back is just held with staples, i did try to make the corner slim so i can place a piece of trim on top of it when i finish the table for the project.

I glad i have a elctric stapler, I when true about 2 boxes of staples.

I'm pretty happy with this detail, i fold each end of the tyre 45 degrees and then fasten it with 3 screws on each side.

notice the fender washers holding the perimeter tyres.

standing on it is super confy, so i think i'm going to make another one (oneS) as work matts..

well as ussual i hope I inspire others to persue their own ideas..

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Dang, once again you come up with something different and pretty friggin cool.

If you ever get taken away and locked up in a padded cell, the walls should look like that. :) :p

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
That is great!

Once I riveted old tires to my big tool box because it kept sliding around in the back of my truck going to and from races.

Worked great....now I have a new tool box and a RhinoLiner bed liner so the grippy tool box was not needed.

If anyone else is annoyed by sliding tool boxes or anything in the back of the truck....do what Patineto did. :thumb:

patineto

The RM Mad Scientist
Feb 19, 2002
berkeley, ca
I'm in the Process of Building this Balfa

for my friend David (I convince him to buy it and the best part is that i get to ride it..) anyway she is old but in pristine shape so i decide to take extra care of the frame close to the headtube.

how to do it,,,,
what else a Bicycle tyre.

notice how I even run zipties inside the tyre tread to hold the cables so they don't scratch the red King headset

i just cut a piece of tyre about one foot long and perforate 3 pairs of hole so i can run some zipties to hold the rubber, I did rap the frame in some fancy gaffers tape so the casing does not scratch the paint.

I also aply some 3M red tape to the pockets on the alumuminum to make the bike a little more playful, bad for midnight rides in prohivite areas (we never do that anyway) good if he ever got to ride on areas with cars (very unlikelly i quess)
anyway it looks kind of fun.

one thing is for sure now i totally understand why the BB7 have such a follow up, the thing is just incredible, super agil, maybe the rear end is a little flexy (compare to my M-pire) but i will have absolutlly no problems riding it, actually is the other way around my M-pire with the Idle pulley rides almost as nice as the balfa.

some day I will love to shake the hands of the guys that design this Balfa bikes, they are simply brilliant, so so Simple is just not even funny, the BB7 is by far the best of them in terms of integrations and mecanical design, is a shame i did not take pictures of the frame and the parts when i did the ones over, another for sure thing if i did not have 17 bike at my house i will consider to add this little monster to the collection..