Quantcast

Cool vs Uncool

TheInedibleHulk

Turbo Monkey
May 26, 2004
Colorado
You don't need any CNC parts to build a perfectly good steel single pivot. You will need to have access to some kind of machining tools (a mill) to make your bearing seats, but that about it. Everything else can be accomplished with your basic well equipped garage, chop saw, bench grinder, welder, ect. You could buy all the tools needed plus the tubing to try your first frame for a little over a grand going with used stuff and a mig welder. In fact i have even seen a multi-link DH bike built with the same set of tools and nothing more high tech than a drill press. Not trying to be argumentative, just saying that its not as scary as most people think. Many ridemonkey'ers are already making their own frames and doing really nice jobs. Then again half of you dimwits still don't know what the stop screws on a derailleur do, so I may be giving people to much credit, which would be a first for me. Anyway, rednecks all over this great country have been making their own frames for race cars for years, and believe me none of them have engineering degrees or CNC machines. If they can figure it out so can you, it's likely your first attempt will be unrideable, but that's all part of the process.

Curious George... I hate you and you, I hope all the bad things in life happen to you and nobody else, but you. :shakefist:

DirtBag

Monkey
Feb 1, 2006
Wow. How ignorant and "you've got your head up your ass" of you. Just because both frames are made from alum and look similar don't make them the same product. Example...Ford Mustang LX vs Shelby GT500. Ya they look similar, but I'm pretty sure they've got a few differences. There is not one tube or cnc part that was not changed, altered, or manipulated in producing the Gruitr. Not to mention a completely different geo, CS length, TT slope/size, BB height, HA, etc. Every tube and cnc part was changed and manipulated within existing tooling parameters(how we kept the price down. yes using existing tooling saves $) to shave weight(only weights 7lbs BTW) but increase strength and stiffness. For $1375, not $1500, you get a high quality North American handmade frame. Which is super fun to ride and bombproof, at a price less than the overseas produced frames such as Hecklers, or Bottlerockets. Not that there is anything wrong with a Heckler or Bottlerocket, or overseas, Both GREAT bikes from GREAT companies. Ever price a Prophet MX frame or a GAry Fisher Possum? Again, both killer frames. The Gruitr is just another option and a great one at that.
FYI, the next time your flippin' thru the channels and come across a NASCAR event...those are not the same cars you see on your local interstate.

I apologize for what seems like a rant, but WTF. It's a bike. Made to have fun. No UFO technology went into designing the Gruitr. We never claimed it did. It's a simple single pivot, ain't rocket science.

Dude, do yourself a favor, grab your bike and go for a ride. It'll wash the "internet hating" away for sure.

Quoted as this is the truth.

Thanks Bruce for clearing that up. First off I would rather spend $1,375 on a single pivot frame, designed by one of the best "small" companies in the market, has terrific customer service, has employees that actually ride, has knowledgeable designers (FTW) and overall a local company in the region that I live - than pay for an overpriced version of that.

Just like I spent a lot of money and time on numerous Transition frames, I support Sinister since they produce a terrific product. Sure it may "look" like a Chili Pepper POS frame, but I am quite sure about 99% of the Gruitr is far superior to the Chili. The 1 % is probably that they are the same material.

Sorry to veer off topic.

DH Rules

Chimp
Jul 13, 2006
On the trails of WNC - Mostly
You don't need any CNC parts to build a perfectly good steel single pivot. You will need to have access to some kind of machining tools (a mill) to make your bearing seats, but that about it. Everything else can be accomplished with your basic well equipped garage, chop saw, bench grinder, welder, ect. You could buy all the tools needed plus the tubing to try your first frame for a little over a grand going with used stuff and a mig welder. In fact i have even seen a multi-link DH bike built with the same set of tools and nothing more high tech than a drill press. Not trying to be argumentative, just saying that its not as scary as most people think. Many ridemonkey'ers are already making their own frames and doing really nice jobs. Then again half of you dimwits still don't know what the stop screws on a derailleur do, so I may be giving people to much credit, which would be a first for me. Anyway, rednecks all over this great country have been making their own frames for race cars for years, and believe me none of them have engineering degrees or CNC machines. If they can figure it out so can you, it's likely your first attempt will be unrideable, but that's all part of the process.

Curious George... I hate you and you, I hope all the bad things in life happen to you and nobody else, but you. :shakefist:
How am I doing here

sayndesyn

Turbo Monkey
Last I checked you had to be at least a jr x or semi-pro/pro to get sponsored by Morewood. Maybe something changed since 2 years ago. Richard told me that they are getting away from sponsorhouse as well when I told him that it had become a myspace clone for 13 year old loading dock huckers. All I know is that my morewood is still riding good and the bearings are not toast after 2 hard seasons in east coast mud. That's more than I can say for the other dh frames I have had.

but when any and every 14 y.o. mouth breather on emty beer who cannot even figure out what parts are needed to build said frame can become a 'team rider' and have their frame price subsidised by anyone with enough self respect to RUN away from sponsorhouse.....

IMO that 'image' is sheit.....

it also screams to anyone who paid retal....that they are an idiot and got ripped!!!!!!

WBC

Monkey
Aug 8, 2003
PNW
it also screams to anyone who paid retal....that they are an idiot and got ripped!!!!!!
Not to mention their dealers that have to deal with warranty claims on frames they had to give away to "price-match." Selling frames for $200 above dealer cost is great for Morewood and makes the kids love them, but if I was one of their dealers, I'd be upset. Devaluing your product is not good business if you want a solid dealer network.

I think Morewood builds great bikes. The new Makulu doesn't have the Geometry that I like, but it looks very well built.