Quantcast

Coolest Porsche ever....

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
:nonono:

That car is too rare, too beautiful, and too cool to be on the drag strip. Road racing sure, but not a drag strip. Sigh...

That's what VW bugs and late 70's /early 80's porches are for.

Biscuit said:
With how much I'd imagine that thing weighs, and the apparent power.. I bet its fast as f***k.
Meh. I bet a well built and tuned VW bug of the same class would stay with it, if not spank it. You don't race fine old Porches on the drag strip, you race 'em in vintage road races. Power is "easy" to build. Handling is a different story.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
Ciaran said:
Power is "expensive" to build. Handling is a different story.
Fixed that for you.:)

If I recall, I have seen the car in a magazine or two and it is pretty much stock, well, except for the engine.

I think a late 70's/80's porsche would be a little bit to portly.

Prettym1k3

Turbo Monkey
Aug 21, 2006
In your pants
Personally... I still think my favorite bone stock, reasonably affordable Porsche is the earlier of the last water cool Porsches, before they went back to air-cooled, and then back to water cooled again.

...dun dun dun... the 968.

I had a hardtop 1994 968. 3.0L 4-banger, torquey as all the dickens. And with a 6sp. tranny, it got insanely good gas mileage.

I miss that car. Handled like it was on railed, stopped on a dime, and was as comfortable as an Escalade.

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
ugh. i didn't know anyone liked the 968 :think: . big 4 cylinders belong in trucks...

partsbara

Turbo Monkey
Nov 16, 2001
getting Xtreme !
stevew said:
in stock form for sure... this is my mates 70's (maybe 77 ?? i forget the exact year) 911... has the 3.6 motor, loads of shedded weight and some nice carbon parts one of his friends fabricated... this thing has seen the autobahn at 180mph... lots of trips to nurburgring as well... the engine sound is pure sex..

Toshi

Oct 23, 2001
partsbara said:
in stock form for sure... this is my mates 70's (maybe 77 ?? i forget the exact year) 911... has the 3.6 motor, loads of shedded weight and some nice carbon parts one of his friends fabricated... this thing has seen the autobahn at 180mph... lots of trips to nurburgring as well... the engine sound is pure sex..

mmm, i'd totally rock a carrera RS:

or a carrera RS America :drool:

moff_quigley

Why don't you have a seat over there?
Jan 27, 2005
Poseurville
Ciaran said:
Meh. I bet a well built and tuned VW bug of the same class would stay with it, if not spank it. You don't race fine old Porches on the drag strip, you race 'em in vintage road races. Power is "easy" to build. Handling is a different story.
I always thought that the early Porshes like the 356 were essentially VW or very similar in the chassis anyway? Theoretically, one could build a Type 1 VW to handle pretty decent. Not sure why you'd want to though.

SK6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 10, 2001
Shut up and ride...
reminds me of some of the poseurs around with snowboards / surfboards that stay permanently bolted to the roof racks...
This owner outrides most folks on dual crown forks and bigger travel...Jeff is insanely good....So, no poser here....

Oh yeah, single crown hardtail doing downhill runs at Snowshoe......and this dude is fast as hell.....

partsbara

Turbo Monkey
Nov 16, 2001
getting Xtreme !
This owner outrides most folks on dual crown forks and bigger travel...Jeff is insanely good....So, no poser here....

Oh yeah, single crown hardtail doing downhill runs at Snowshoe......and this dude is fast as hell.....

well thats refreshing.... good to hear... a nice car, but not real practical for mtbing...

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
Fixed that for you.:)

If I recall, I have seen the car in a magazine or two and it is pretty much stock, well, except for the engine.

Yeah, speed can be VERY expensive. Must be why I only raced karts and never really got into big cars. Lucky enough to drive a few and to know people who did, but 20 - 40 K for a decent club level formula car was (and still is) a bit too much.

ugh. i didn't know anyone liked the 968 :think: . big 4 cylinders belong in trucks...
You have obviously never drivin a big 4 cyl race/performance car. SIX cylinders belong in trucks. Big 4's can be very drivable and fun.

I always thought that the early Porshes like the 356 were essentially VW or very similar in the chassis anyway? Theoretically, one could build a Type 1 VW to handle pretty decent. Not sure why you'd want to though.
Because it's fun. One of the most fun cars I ever owned was a 1967 VW Karmann Ghia. Tuned the engine really well, and balanced the weight better then stock (VERY rear end heavy) and she was a blast to drive. I can't wait till I can get another one (in '07), I am planning a 2.0+ liter engine, modified suspension, and weight removal.

Early porches were much like VW's but I can't say for sure how similar they are as I never really worked on Porches.

moff_quigley

Why don't you have a seat over there?
Jan 27, 2005
Poseurville
Because it's fun. One of the most fun cars I ever owned was a 1967 VW Karmann Ghia. Tuned the engine really well, and balanced the weight better then stock (VERY rear end heavy) and she was a blast to drive. I can't wait till I can get another one (in '07), I am planning a 2.0+ liter engine, modified suspension, and weight removal.

Early porches were much like VW's but I can't say for sure how similar they are as I never really worked on Porches.
1st Car: 1970 Type 1 (Bug). Lowered no chrome. Slower than snot, but good lookin'.

2nd Car: 1974 Karmann Ghia. Dealer installed air. Very cherry. People would ask me how much I wanted it for it at stoplights etc. Handed it off to my sister and it she ran it to the ground.

I'd love to have another old Bug or Ghia. I dream too big as to what I'd want to have done to it to really enjoy it at this point though.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
The VW Rometsch had a Porsche style vent in the decklid

one at a porsche event..

Mr Seinfeld wanted buy to one. The owner said no.

I prefer them a little more broken in...

benno

Monkey
Apr 7, 2006
Nope, this is the coolest Porche ever!

My mate has one of them; it was cheaper to buy a second car than a bike rack to suit. Stoopid car.

Old school Porsches rock but I can't believe that the drag car is running drum brakes all round :eek:

Toshi

Oct 23, 2001
You have obviously never drivin a big 4 cyl race/performance car. SIX cylinders belong in trucks. Big 4's can be very drivable and fun.
what other big 4 cylinder cars are out there? the 240SX was 2.4 liters, i suppose (and its engine was shared with the nissan hardbody pickup!), and some ancient 1920s racers had ginormous 4 cylinders... fwiw, there's a 968 that does pretty well at seattle area autox events, but its class is filled with many other impressive machines that sound much better and don't have the ugly stepchild stigma :D

SK6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 10, 2001
Shut up and ride...
uh, no, your point?

I once shagged your mum, but I don't feel the need to tell the whole internet about it.
:P
Certainly not worth bragging about, that is for certain, however, telling 15,000 people+, well, You should be embarrassed....:shocked:

You should see my mum! :eek:

:p :D