Quantcast

Coolest thing you did with your Dad...

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
Probably "working" with him on the tugboats in Boston when I was younger (about 8-9 years old). It's the reason I have the ocean/tugboat tattoo on my forearm.

splat

Nam I am
Seems like recently I've read some threads on this and another board that had made me realize just how great I had it as a kid.

My parents were both involved and supportive. We took family trips, usually to some place near a lake in the woods or on a beach. No heavy drinking, no drugs, no cheating, no hitting.
:stupid:

I would have to say, Back in the dark ages of personal computing ( the late 70's ) going to computer/electronic flea Markets and buy the part an actully building/modifing our own Computer ( Ohio Scientific Supperboard II )

He passed away in 2002 , I miss him

Dartman

Old Bastard Mike
Feb 26, 2003
Richmond, VA
Cross country camping trip out of the back of an F150 when I was 15. From Buffalo to Yellowstone Park to the north rim of the Grand Canyon and back. Taking backroads most of the way. Took three weeks and he called in sick most of the way.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
that's actually pretty cool. I did the city skyline and sky coloring.

you should have had the bird on the "no birds" sign, ala the fight the power bird pic.

mantispf2000

Turbo Monkey
Aug 9, 2001
Nevada, 2 hours from Mammoth
My folks divorced when I was about 8. I was very fortunate to have my Dad in my life, as well as a great Stepdad when my mom remarried when I was 10.

One of the funniest things with my Dad was when we went to the Mammoth National in '92 or '93. They were offering free gondola rides, and we went to the top. For those that know, there's a rather steep gap from mid-mountain to the top. Well, I didn't know it, but my Dad is afraid of heights like that. He got on the floor of the gondola (remember those old white buckets they used?) until we got to the top. I thought it was funny as heck.

My Stepdad made a comment that's been with me for some time. It was during a trip out to Phoenix to pick up the car my grandma was giving us after her husband passed. We were in the kitchen, and I was holding Alaina while we were talking. He looked at us and said, "Did you ever think you could love something so much"? Oh, how those words echo now.

I am very fortunate to have 2 wonderful men to call Dad.......

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
3 day unsupported fishing trip on Hazel Creek on Fontana Lake. Had to be dropped off by boat, then fished a non-stocked trout stream landlocked inside Great Smoky Mountains National Park non-stop the whole time. No live bait allowed, just spinners and flys.

Least humans I've seen in my entire life and most wildlife ever.

homepiece

Monkey
May 22, 2006
OHIO
My old man and I have shared some adventures. He raced enduro back in the 70s and early 80s.

Salmon fishing off Travese Bay in Michigan almost every summer while growing up, whitewater rafting down the new river, he pitched batting practice to me about 3 times a week, and even came out to vegas for my bachelors party.

We still hit up mosquito lagoon in florida for a week of golfing and chasing redfish and tarpon every summer. All in all a great dad, and has been a great grandfather to my kid as well. I am taking him back to vegas this fall for a father/son golf scramble tourney.

I guess I got lucky after hearing all of the horror stories on here.

-BB-

I broke all the rules, but somehow still became mo
Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
My dad was a dickhead.

Now that he's older we get along, go fishing now and again and stuff. But when I was younger he was either swilling beer or coked out of his mind running around on my mom. I hope to do a little better than that.
LOL...The apple doesn't fall far from the tree. Or... Like father like son ;)
Sorry, couldn't resist. I' actually don't think you are a DH... just opinionated. :thumb:

-BB-

I broke all the rules, but somehow still became mo
Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
So as for my "experience", it wasn't bad like a lot of the posts here, so I feel fortunate in that respect. Can't say we did a lot together either though. There was one camping trip I do remember though and that was pretty cool. I thought it was WAY out there, but looking back now it was only about 10 mile from our house. ;) We did things as a family (mom and sis) but not much 1:1 stuff. I did learn some basic handyman stuff from him (although he is a Phd Chemist, not a handyman). No building cars together, no drinking together, no fishing... but also no hitting, no drinking, no divorce. I vaguely remember maybe doing some little science experiments and looking for fossils in Ohio when we went to visit the G-parents. As it goes though, I guess that is pretty good.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
My dad was a funny cat. He was a bookworm, never played sports, wasn't good with his hands, but he knew a lot of stuff about a lot of stuff.

When I was in 8th grade, I was on a competitive league soccer team. The coaches kid sucked and quit the first week, so dad quit, too. With no coach, my dad stepped up and said he would coach. I was scared and figured it would be the worst season ever.

That night he went to the library and picked up a bunch of books about soccer. He learned the rules, training techniques, practice runs, the whole 9 yards. We had 3 weeks of practice before the first game. He had us doing the most random crap, but whatever, he was the "coach".

We crushed that first game and were stoked! We went undefeated locally and got invited to the state tourney for the first time for our team. We took 3rd in Merced and had the best season ever.

My pops, who had never played soccer in his life took it on himself to learn enough to coach so I could play. Not only did I play, but the stuff he taught all of us that year made us all much better players.

It's been just over a year since he passed and I miss him.

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
That was a good story. Props to your dad for working with what he had and being involved in his way.

I always thought my parents we hardasses when I was growing up, but it worked out for the best.

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
back in the day, when i was little enough to fit standing up in the car seat, on saturdays, we would get up at 9-10am and leave for the day, visiting clients around town and collecting money.

Normally, we would stop at the bigger clients/friends and chat with them... eats lots of seafood and drive home at 4 or 5pm...

5150dhbiker

Turbo Monkey
Nov 5, 2007
Santa Barbara, CA
For me, it's still going on. He never bought me a car and hell, if there was something I wanted from about 10 years old and up I had to work for it (mowing neighbors lawns etc.). But Now he gives up most of his free time to help me with my flight training so I don't have to spend tons of money and actually have a good instructor. I couldn't ask for more really!

spoke80

Turbo Monkey
Nov 12, 2001
My dad raced sport bikes for 30 years and after a 10 year break we started doing track days together.

Dad 1098R

Me 748R

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
back in the day, when i was little enough to fit standing up in the car seat, on saturdays, we would get up at 9-10am and leave for the day, visiting clients around town and collecting money.

Normally, we would stop at the bigger clients/friends and chat with them... eats lots of seafood and drive home at 4 or 5pm...
Wait...that's the plot from Godfather.:think:

moff_quigley

Why don't you have a seat over there?
Jan 27, 2005
Poseurville
Biological dad is (was) an alcoholic and drug user. Parent's divorced before my 1st b-day.

My step father is my dad and he's the greatest. I don't remember any one big coolest thing...bunch of little things...laying football on the parade field with his officer buddies, taking me down into the "War Room" @ SAC headquarters, being able to get up close and personal with B-52's and the B-2, driving me all over for BMX races, 1 on 1 b-ball games, driving the golf cart for him and Grampa Quigley, always being there to help and be a support. My dad is the best.

Met my bio-father a couple times, seems like a nice enough guy but I already have a dad.

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
lol... never thought of it that way...
my dad had its own accounting/law firm... saturdays were pay-day and eat-with-big-clients day
Still sounds like Godfather...lol. "Son, wait in the car, I have to go collect some money that's owed to me."

Quo Fan

don't make me kick your ass
My Dad taught me how to work on cars, build stuff with my hands, ski, play golf, and he tried to teach me about money (last one didn't take very well). We went fishing, and camping as a family. He always had time for us kids when we were growing up.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
We went fishing, and camping as a family. He always had time for us kids when we were growing up.
Both my folks worked in education (dad was a Drama prof, mom worked for the school district) so we ALL had summers off. It didn't occur to me that other people didn't until about middle school. But summer was family time, trips, fun and games. We did get some serious quality time in the summer.

But we didn't camp, fish, or even go in the woods. But again, dad was a Drama prof. :rofl:

TheMontashu

Pourly Tatteued Jeu
Mar 15, 2004
I'm homeless
I got super lucky, my pops is a shop teacher, and a great dad. He learned me how to basically frame up a house, we built our dinning table, redid all the cabinetry in the office, among much of the other tables and chairs in the house. I grew up spending probably a month total of every summer sleeping in a tent, going hiking and canoeing. We also used to go shooting 2-3 days a week together (more like once a month now, school and work together does that) I have a feeling as long as I live close enough that will continue till my old man croaks

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
I can't think of anything specific where my dad and I did something just the two of us that was really awesome, but we did a lot of great stuff as a family. My dad did teach me how to ride a bike and ski and would do both of those with me and my brother and sister when we were younger. Also did a lot of fixing stuff around the house with him or under his direction (some electrical stuff, some plumbing, remodeled a bathroom, put in wood flooring, carpet and tile, installed a water heater...all sorts of things). He was an engineer and was used to doing things himself. Never missed my football games either...guess I had it pretty good. He's still alive and working, but has slowed down a lot recently- partly just age and partly from a paralyzed diaphragm.

psychodad

Chimp
Jun 24, 2008
New York
My dad and I never did anything cool together.
Beer was his best friend, he'd rather sit home and drink beer than do anything with his kids.

NovatoSCFR

Monkey
Aug 27, 2004
NOVATO CA
Bike. When I got interested in biking he was right behind me. Since then we've been biking all over the place from Bootleg to Andorra, Downieville to Puerta Vallarta. I remember once riding through a rock garden at Bromont feeling a little worried about going too fast, and my father, at this point in his mid-late fifties, took some random line and just blew right by me. My jaw dropped and I almost lost it, but that really inspired me to get moving. My dad's the man, I realize it more and more everyday. I just can't believe he's worked a 9 to 5 for so long.

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
Dad took me to many Blackhawks games (he worked game day support for them...), and always encouraged me to be the best I could be at everything I did. He was a WW2 vet and grew up in dust bowl Missouri on a dirt farm with no father (He passed before Dad was born.) as the baby of 7. He grauated from college (First in his family I belelive...) and studied opera post war in Italy. He wasnt an easy man to get along with, but compared to some of your stories he was Ward Cleaver. Sorry it took me so long to realize how cool you were and how lucky I was to have you...still missing him 20 years after he passed.

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
My old man fought fire for the Park Service most of my life, so we got to live/grow up in some pretty cool places and we spent lots of time outdoors. Did some amazing camping/backpacking trips. Always got to go up to the helipad and check out the whirly birds when they were around during fire/lost tourist season. Dad was pretty handy with the cars and around the house and I guess I picked that up pretty well. Its been a couple years since we've spoken because of an issue with my mom. I miss my dad. Mom can eat a bag of dicks.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
I put a bedroom in my house for my dad. I hope he moves in. So Far he is digging my chill pad. My relatives have all been solid and brought over tonnes of stuff for his room. He made me a spice rack, it totaly kicks ass. Its stocked with 40 bottles of spices. I let him keep his scrap metal in my Garage. So afr so good....

lovebunny

can i lick your balls?
Dec 14, 2003
San Diego, California, United States
while this doesnt compare with most of these. my father and i always used to go to the airport and sit in the parking lot by the tarmac and watch the planes and just sit there and talk and eat chili dogs. good times. its kind of our little tradition. a cool thing is though is that its the same airport i fly out of now.