Quantcast

Cooter Eats it on his new stunt...

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Deep in the Jungles of Oklahoma
owie

TTGFs e-mail: This is the video of Nate's most recent crash that landed him in the emergency room for 3-1/2 hours...

It really isnt as big as most of the stuff that he does but he just landed on his head and broke his helmet...thank god for that helmet.

llkoolkeg

Ranger LL
Sep 5, 2001
in da shed, mon, in da shed
Man, the downward motion of that teeter absorbed every bit of wheelie drop "spring" he needed to avoid the faceplant. He either needs to build a tranny to roll out or lock up his brakes and not attempt to wheelie drop until the teeter's motion bottoms out and comes to rest in the down position.

Three cheers for redneck engineering! :D

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
golgiaparatus said:
Just spoke to TTGF and she says his neck is compressed or some shizz and he is on drugs :thumb:

I'm sure Cooter will own that stunt after he recovers.
This is a good PSA video. People - remember: when going ass-over-teakettle on your bike, don't forget to *TUCK* so your noggin doesn't take the brunt of the impact. :D

-S.S.-

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
llkoolkeg said:
Man, the downward motion of that teeter absorbed every bit of wheelie drop "spring" he needed to avoid the faceplant. He either needs to build a tranny to roll out or lock up his brakes and not attempt to wheelie drop until the teeter's motion bottoms out and comes to rest in the down position.
the problem as i see it is that he didn't attempt to wheelie drop it; his cranks stayed level throughout, and he didn't have enough speed to prevent the front wheel from dropping to lawn dart mode. check out the bike position at 0:085 or so - when the rear wheel leaves the totter, it's gone horribly wrong.

so, either wheelie drop it, or build a longer totter so you have more speed as you approach the end. you've still got to venture out on the board to get it tipping, so you decrease your x distance over which you gather speed. it looked like a tranny was there, but it was tough to see how far away from the totter end or how steep it is.

either way, landing on yr head sucks. glad to hear you aren't really rung up too bad.

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
That stunt is pretty fubar. You can take that at speed but you'll launch ackward since the teeter apex will spit you out at an unknown angle. Hitting slow as to allow the apex of the teeter to kick down doesn't allow enough time to wheelie drop properly, as is demonstrated on this vid. Extending the end of the teeter totter and putting some wieght on the starting side so it returns would fix that poor design.
Get better Cooter.

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
narlus said:
so, either wheelie drop it,
Still easier said than done, you have little time after the apex. Even with another 3 feet, it will be tough. Better to do that stunt by just riding off, and hoping you don't stuff as hard up front. Remember that teeter is kicking your momentum forward, i've stuffed trying to do a wheelie drop on a 3 foot drop and my rear wheel caught a root and kicked me forward. i heard my spine crack from my tailbone to my neck as i landed on my shoulder and neck. Slowly got up thinking i was going to feel the worst pain, and actually felt super loose, i called that my chiopractic crash.....

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
agreed that it's tougher, and little rocks/roots which act as rear wheel grabbers (not to mention skipping chains) can spell DANGER in big red letters.

but, i see it the only option to get and keep yr front wheel from diving. just hucking it like poor cooter tried ain't gonna work, esp at that slow a speed.

edit - up here in the land of no tranny, developing wheelie drop skills is pretty essential if you wanna drop stuff.

pnj

Turbo Monkey till the fat lady sings
Aug 14, 2002
seattle
whammo! hope he gets better soon and doesn't have permanant damage.

looks like he tried to wheelie drop it but didn't get is front end up high enough before the thing swung down.

the structure looks fine to me, just need to get your front end up higher, sooner.

Damn True

Monkey Pimp
Sep 10, 2001
Between a rock and a hard place.
narlus said:
agreed that it's tougher, and little rocks/roots which act as rear wheel grabbers (not to mention skipping chains) can spell DANGER in big red letters.

but, i see it the only option to get and keep yr front wheel from diving. just hucking it like poor cooter tried ain't gonna work, esp at that slow a speed.

edit - up here in the land of no tranny, developing wheelie drop skills is pretty essential if you wanna drop stuff.

I live in the bay area, plenty of trannys here. Gotta check the adams apple!

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
narlus said:

i agree, with you really but that build is kooky, if anything a shovel to make that transition steeper than the angle of where the teeter winds up at would be better. i personally suck at wheelie drops, and doin a wheelie drop on a teeter totter is not easy, especially ones that are really teeter totters and not diving board style like that stunt. The effect of the teeter totter is the same as a chain break/skip/rear wheel catch, since your momentum is all going forward. There was a vid of someone at Ray's on this forum, trying to do a manual on a teeter, and he wound up all fubared. :D
Not saying it's impossible to do, just way tougher than you want it to be.

Just a bad design on that stunt that needs some modifications, not really anything to do with skill here.

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
pnj said:
whammo! hope he gets better soon and doesn't have permanant damage.

looks like he tried to wheelie drop it but didn't get is front end up high enough before the thing swung down.

the structure looks fine to me, just need to get your front end up higher, sooner.
Yah well what if you haven't had your coffee yet? Huh what then? :dancing:

pnj

Aug 14, 2002
seattle
Skookum said:
Yah well what if you haven't had your coffee yet? Huh what then? :dancing:
then you stick to the kiddie section. :nuts: :sneaky:

pnj

Aug 14, 2002
seattle
Skookum said:
At least i'll be able to turn my neck to see you trying to keep up with me. :dancing:
true that.

'cept, I would've manualed the whole thing...... :p

Cooter Brown

Turbo Monkey
May 30, 2002
Snow Hall, tweakin on math
Thanks for all the concern :monkey:'s, I am ok, not hurt, just hurting like a mo fo, but it is feeling better everyday.

Since then, there has been a tranny added so you roll off the teeter onto the tranny, no drop to it anymore

here's a pic of the Giro Mad Max after it was all done :cool:

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Deep in the Jungles of Oklahoma
Cooter Brown said:
Thanks for all the concern :monkey:'s, I am ok, not hurt, just hurting like a mo fo, but it is feeling better everyday.

Since then, there has been a tranny added so you roll off the teeter onto the tranny, no drop to it anymore

here's a pic of the Giro Mad Max after it was all done :cool:
I thought Vanessa said it was broken. Looks okay to me, just looks... used.
She sent that over to me e-mail, I couldnt think of a better thing to do with it than post it on the :monkey: :D