Quantcast

Cop kills cyclists

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
falling asleep behind the wheel at 10:25am? WTF dude, its called coffee!

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
Sad.

And when he's not properly punished, it will continue to send the message that cyclists are not important, hit at your own pleasure :(

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
Tragic.
But please dont focus on the fact that he is a cop, instead the focus should be on the fact that he was an inattentive motorist, thereby causing a tragic, avoidable accident.

Upgr8r

High Priest or maybe Jedi Master
May 2, 2006
Ventura, CA
It's tragic whenever a cyclist is hit, but the fact that it was a deputy makes it worse. I know they are no differant than the rest of us, but you can't help holding them to a higher standard

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
And why is that? If he was engaged in the commission of a crime when he hit these guys, he should be held to a higher standard for misusing his position and betraying the public trust. But from what I read, this was an accident, vehicular manslaughter if anything.
Tragic for all parties involved...

Upgr8r

High Priest or maybe Jedi Master
May 2, 2006
Ventura, CA
I am not denying that it was anything but an accident, and the consequences should not be any different then with an average motorist. But as an officer, he has received special drivers training and should realize when his driving is impaired and the consequences thereof both from a training standpoint and from experience dealing with motorists.

All I’m saying is that anytime you are in a position of authority, people will hold you to a higher standard whether that is right or wrong.

wreckedrex

Monkey
Feb 8, 2007
Fremont, CA
And why is that? If he was engaged in the commission of a crime when he hit these guys, he should be held to a higher standard for misusing his position and betraying the public trust. But from what I read, this was an accident, vehicular manslaughter if anything.
Tragic for all parties involved...
True, but I wonder if I would be
the article said:
placed on paid administrative leave pending the outcome of the investigation.
or sitting in jail for killing two people and seriously injuring another. He should be held to the *same* standards at the very least, and I doubt if a civilian would get a paid vacation out of this deal...

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
My colleague owns roaring mouse (the shop sponsoring the rider) and is pretty tore up over it. That road has an extremely wide bike lane (extra lane wide). There have also been local reports of a county sherrif in a white SUV (same description) speeding and crossing the double yellow 15 miles away on the same road about 10min prior - which is about the correct speed/time to get there. Should be interesting, as this was highly trafficed as a cycling route because of it's safety and havey police patrols keeping the speeds down...

vtjim

Beware of Milo & Otis
Jan 6, 2006
North Andover MA
I'm just starting to gather parts for a road bike (have the frame already) and plan on having it built by the summer. It's story's like this that make me think I should stick to dirt.

brungeman

I give a shirt
Jan 17, 2006
da Burgh
My colleague owns roaring mouse (the shop sponsoring the rider) and is pretty tore up over it. That road has an extremely wide bike lane (extra lane wide). There have also been local reports of a county sherrif in a white SUV (same description) speeding and crossing the double yellow 15 miles away on the same road about 10min prior - which is about the correct speed/time to get there. Should be interesting, as this was highly trafficed as a cycling route because of it's safety and havey police patrols keeping the speeds down...

didn't look like a white SUV in the pics it looks like a regular cruiser!

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Ummm, crap. Not in the absence of intent.
OK, that might be a little extreme, but you could guess the punishments would not be equal.

My brother was run over on a motorcycle by a police officer the blew a stop sign for no reason. His bike was totaled and he was messed up for about 6 months. He was awarded medical expenses + $6000 and the cost of motorcycle repairs, not replacement.

Had it have been a civilian that hit him, he would have gotten quite a bit more.

maddog17

Turbo Monkey
Jan 20, 2008
Methuen, Mass. U.S.A.
all the more reason to never ride on the road...

dirt my friends... dirt, is where it's at.

good point, but what if your riding alone in the woods and say a wolverine attacks you, then what?? or a badger, fisher cat, bear, cougar, or if your down under, a really pissed off wombat!!

ok, i'll stop the sillyness now.