Quantcast

copy memory cards withOUT a computer?

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
Say you're on vacation, perhaps Italy, and you've taken 100s of photos that you want to back up, but you don't have your laptop.

Is there a small device that'll back up a memory card to another or to a thumb drive?

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
Very cool, but I have a few mp3 players already. Too bad that looks iPod specific.

But that would work.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
There are lots of devices that carry a 2.5" laptop drive and have an interface for your flash card. Check any of the electronics sites like buy.com or NewEgg or Amazon.

Mike B.

Turbo Monkey
Oct 5, 2001
State College, PA
My pick is the Creative Zen Vision if you use compact flash or have a cf to whatever adapter. I was planning to pick one up before heading to Taiwan this year so I could have movies, tv shows, music, and photo storage space. That flight is too long to go without entertainment and the fact I could store and review pictures on it was a bonus.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16822173001
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16822337001
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16822130001R

Your other option if you'll have any kind of access to computers (e.g. internet cafes) is to buy a USB Card Reader for whatever kind of memory the Canon takes (SD if my memory serves me), and use whatever kind of storage option you want - be it uploading to a server, a flash drive, portable hard drive, whatever.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
That won't really help him make a "backup" copy of his photos... :think:
look at his intended purpose though...taking a bunch of photos while not having access to a PC (ie, he's gotta recycle the memory cards)...i could be wrong, but i don't think he actually is gonna have 2 copies of each photo he took, ie a true backup. if that's the case, then he is gonna need either:

1 - a portable cd/dvd burner (can this even be standalone from a computer? doubtful)

2 - another one of those portable hard drives

3 - more memory cards.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
...i could be wrong, but i don't think he actually is gonna have 2 copies of each photo he took, ie a true backup.
That's EXACTLY my intention.

I'm thinking that we're never going back to these parts of Italy again and what if my memory card gets damaged or my camera gets stolen? I'd like to back up daily to something and leave the back up in my hotel room.

Perfect! Thanks!

I don't know why, but my mind was locked into duplicating the SD memory card to another SD memory card, but those will work better than whatever convoluted idea I had.

(I know I could've googled, but I obviously didn't know what to google for :) )

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
If you're seriously concerned about making sure you have a backup, I might sign up for a pay account at a place like Zenfolio, Flickr, PBase, etc. and upload photos there from an internet cafe or your hotel if they have broadband.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
If you're seriously concerned about making sure you have a backup, I might sign up for a pay account at a place like Zenfolio, Flickr, PBase, etc. and upload photos there from an internet cafe or your hotel if they have broadband.
I agree completely; however, I don't want to take a chance on whether or not I'll have access. If I do, I can upload files to my company's web server.

We're going to be cruising around the Italian countryside, so I just dunno.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
That's EXACTLY my intention.

I'm thinking that we're never going back to these parts of Italy again and what if my memory card gets damaged or my camera gets stolen? I'd like to back up daily to something and leave the back up in my hotel room.
if that's true, then you will need more cards...just dumping them onto a hard drive, and then re-formatting the memory card doesn't constitute a backup in my mind; you've still just got a single copy.

if you are looking to upload photos onto some photo hosting site while in italy, be prepared in terms of cost and time...uploading a bunch of full-res files will take a while, even on broadband...not sure that's the best route.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
Well, I have a 2GB card. That's 500 pictures, yeah?

I figured that I wouldn't wipe the card cuz I can't figure I'll take more than 10-15 photos/day, that's upwards of 200 total pics.

Uploading isn't a primary choice. I'll do an upload if we're a location that'll let us do it for free, but I'm not going to count on that, so I'll buy one of those things BV posted :)

EDIT: WAIT... do those devices BV posted automatically wipe your card as you transfer? I don't want that.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
I figured that I wouldn't wipe the card cuz I can't figure I'll take more than 10-15 photos/day, that's upwards of 200 total pics.
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

10-15 per day when you're in Italy? Are you serious?! You're saying that there will only be 10 things worth seeing.

For myself, I'd bank on 200 per day. I probably wouldn't take quite that many, but I could easily top 100 per day depending on locations. You may not take as many, but 10-15 is, IMO, way under-budgeted.

EDIT: WAIT... do those devices BV posted automatically wipe your card as you transfer? I don't want that.
No, they don't.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
I'm not really a photographer... which is why I want a good, PhD (Push here Dummy) camera.
I know, and I realize that you won't be taking 100-200 per day, but I'd be surprised if you went to a country with as much to see as Italy and took less than 15 pictures every day, when there are no developing or film costs.

I'd like to find one of those that'll hook up to a TV, so I can review and delete on a daily basis.
The SD700 has a video out but TV resolution is really low and you won't get a good feel for the pictures. Some that you judge to be sharp might actually be blurry when you get them onto a computer.

You'd be better served to zoom in on your pictures in-camera to check if they're blurry, and delete them that way.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
My pick is the Creative Zen Vision if you use compact flash or have a cf to whatever adapter. I was planning to pick one up before heading to Taiwan this year so I could have movies, tv shows, music, and photo storage space. That flight is too long to go without entertainment and the fact I could store and review pictures on it was a bonus.
I didn't realize what you were suggesting the first time I read your post.

A personal media player sounds like a great idea for my needs. Plus, if the screen is big enough, then I can sort through photos on the fly. I just started looking inton that Zen thing and it says that it'll copy photos from a memory card without the need of a PC!

Not that I have an unlimited budget, but if I'm going to spend $100 on a photo viewer, then I might as well look into a PMP.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
First one is just a standard device like the ones I linked.

Second one could be interesting, I'd be pretty wary of it being anything even remotely decent for that price, though. I can't find any information about it.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
haven't looked for a spare battery, but suppose that would be needed for your flight since you might get two movies out of one charge.

Can the camera connect directly to the Zen player? Looks like the player only has a CF input and an adapter is like $40.

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
Or you could just take your memory card to any drug store and have them burn a CD or DVD with your pictures and get some printed too if you wanted to mail some to friends before you return (some people really like foreign stamps and what not.) That's what my folks ended up doing recently on a trip and it worked out really well for them, there was no investment in additional equipment, no waiting for hours while you upload hundreds of megabytes of information, and very little risk of damage from being dropped, left out in the rain or otherwise abused during travel.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
Does your current MP3 player support that function? You need to be able to copy from the compact flash cards to your MP3 player's internal memory.
I doubt it supports direct copy, but I can load non-music files onto it.

That's why I need that bridge/link device thing you mentioned. Something to connect the camera to the mp3 for transfers.

This...
... made it sound like it could connect any usb/flash device to another?

If you tell me it probably won't work, then I'll just get another SD card. In fact, I probably should anyways in the unlikely event that the main card gets damaged.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
That bridge MIGHT work, but it's designed to work for USB drives, so it'll only work if your MP3 player shows up in the system exactly like a USB drive.

By the time you get buying the adapter, the bridge, possibly a USB drive if your MP3 player doesn't work... you could just buy an extra SD card or two ;)

Whatever you choose to do, I might just suggest you spend enough money to make sure you certainly do not run out of picture space - budget at least twice the number of pictures you think you will take. 30gb for the $186 Zen isn't bad especially considering it'll do more than just photos.