Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

MTBMaven

Chimp
Jan 31, 2006
Pasadena, CA
We had a great turn out on Saturday. I don't have a final count yet but I estimate 15 people. A huge thanks to everyone who came out to help!

We worked the Shortcut Canyon section of the Silver Moccasin Trail from Highway 2 to just shy of the canyon bottom. Another crew had been working the trail before us an did a good bit of vegetation clearing and some tread work. They trimmed back at least 100 Yucca.

I got to put in some time on a switchback and practice what I learned in the IMBA training a few weeks ago. I worked the section with Oliver, a freshmen at South Pasadena High School, and Mark. Mark maintains the Lower Sam Merrill Trail and has been working for many months on the Castle Canyon Trail. If you see Mark out there working make sure to say hi. He's a fellow mountain biker and put in a TON of work in the Angeles.

Enjoy the photos...

The weather was great. The city below was covered in clouds but we had nice sunny weather with a small breeze all day. The clouds tried to move in all day and a few made their way in towards the end of the day.

Oliver taking out some aggression on a Yucca. This was one of 6 or 7 we took out in a 50 foot section of trail.

The next series of photos are before and after photos of the switchback we cleared. The trail was very narrow, with vegetation everywhere. We moved a lot of dirt to open this darn thing up. The turn is still pretty narrow by trail building specs and is not technically a switchback, but rather a climbing turn as there is not much of a turning platform. We tried but there is not much room to work with here.

Before

After

Before

After

Before

After

A really cool looking trimmed Yucca.

Steve heading up after a good day of work. Look at that nice trail.

Nice shot of the cleaned trail and some clouds rolling in.

CORBA provided a killer lunch from El Pollo Loco. Thanks to Robin for bringing up the food. Nothing better after a good day of trail maintenance that a cooler full of Gatorade and a table full of food! Howard Okamoto, Forest Service Volunteer Coordinator, showed up at the end of the day. Howard has been really great working with us mountain bikers.

That's all folks