Quantcast

cordless computers

PolarBearWY

Chimp
Apr 26, 2004
Wyoming
Personally, I wouldn't recommend cordless at all. There's just no real need for it. I have never cut a wire in a crash and I can think of no other reason wireless would be favorable over wired.

I did make the mistake of buying a Panoram Wireless for my g/f's bike. The computer seems to be just fine, but the mount for it is flimsy and I swear it'll break soon.

I'd love to get other opinions, too. I'm waiting on a new Trek 8000 to come in and as soon as it does, I'll be buying a computer for it. I was planning on getting another wired bike, as wrapping the extra wire around the front brake cable isn't a problem for me. If someone can come up with some good reasons to spend the extra $20 I'll consider it.

PolarBearWY

Chimp
Apr 26, 2004
Wyoming
Originally posted by greasey monkey
I've had a Vetta cordless for 3 years now it works great no problems
Does it work better than a corded computer? That was the question I was raising. I know they work, or they wouldn't be on the market. What are the advantages of paying twice as much for a computer without a cord?

greasey monkey

bow down
Mar 11, 2004
victor NY
It works just the same. Just no 4ft. of cord to wrap around the cables and fork. I got it because I hated unwrapping the cord every time I pulled the fork off or changed front brake cable housing.

PolarBearWY

Chimp
Apr 26, 2004
Wyoming
Originally posted by greasey monkey
It works just the same. Just no 4ft. of cord to wrap around the cables and fork. I got it because I hated unwrapping the cord every time I pulled the fork off or changed front brake cable housing.
Heheheh. That's the answer I was looking for. Thanks. That makes complete sense. I just got my Trek 8000 today... ahhhhh. I thought about the unwrapping after I posted as I was staring at my new bike dreaming of putting a disc brake at least on the front. Funny.

I bought a Cateye Cordless 7 off eBay (new) for $36 shipped. Hopefully that thing is good.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
I have a vetta cordless and never had any problems with it, however... I never had any problems with a corded one either. Save your money and get a cheapie - they all work the same. :)

About two years ago I took the computers of my trail bikes - I no longer care how far or how fast I have gone. I now subscribe to the Bikey Zen of Skookum. :D

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
I've got a problem in the same category...

I made the mistake of buying flat spoked wheels for my XC race bike, and now I can't mount the magnet to the spokes. Any way to circumvent this? I was thinking about maybe just popping out a flat spoke in front and putting in a standard one, the wheels use standard nipples, just weird spokes.

mtbdirteater

Chimp
Oct 19, 2003
over the rear tire
My Cateye Cordless 2 works great. If I had to screw with a cord wrapped around everything and tethering parts of my bike together, I wouldn't have a computer on my XC bike. And those contact points on the mount of the corded computers are problematic on all my freind's bikes. Like there is no point in going to use a hard wired phone when you can have a cordless or cell phone. Cord = old technology, let it die.

I have a Cateye Cordless 2 that is about 3 years old and it has recently began giving intermintent signals.... speed readings will junp from 10mph to 0 then back to 10 again... as of now its only good for keeping your time. Batteries are fresh so I really dont know what the problem could be. Anyone else have a problem come up like this with their cordless?

Fast Freddy

Chimp
Feb 12, 2003
Ohio
I have a few Cateye Cordless 7 computers and a Vetta V100 - I like the Cateye's better. No cord to mount and hide, just makes it look a little cleaner on installation. The cordless do tend to go through batteries quicker though.. some do some don't - if you start having any issues with it - replace the batteries first, and I bet you'll be ok.

Later
FF

PolarBearWY

Chimp
Apr 26, 2004
Wyoming
Originally posted by Fast Freddy
I have a few Cateye Cordless 7 computers and a Vetta V100 - I like the Cateye's better. No cord to mount and hide, just makes it look a little cleaner on installation. The cordless do tend to go through batteries quicker though.. some do some don't - if you start having any issues with it - replace the batteries first, and I bet you'll be ok.

Later
FF
Well, I like my CatEye 7 Cordless that I bought off eBay. I wish the computer wasn't held to the bar with zip ties. In the manual, there is a part number for a "solid" mount, but I'm guessing that will cost me another $15 shipped. I just have a feeling that after a crash (or simply after some time) the zip ties will break and I'll lose my computer. Personally, I'd have spent an extra $5 on the kit had it been upgraded already, and knowing this now I would have gone with a Trek computer.

Plastic wears from UV over time. I spend at least an hour a day on my bike. That's 350+ hours per year of UV, wind, rain, snow, rocks, dust, and bugs that this WEAK A$$ mount system has to hold up for.

So, overall the computer works great -- but they all do. I would not recommend the CatEye 7 because of the zip tie mount to the handlebars. Cateye, if you read this and want to send me an upgraded mount kit for free, email me. Otherwise, I will be giving it a NO to anyone I talk to.