Quantcast

Cordless Drill?

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
Home Despot had a deal awhile back - corded Makita hammer drill/driver with a free angle grinder - $100

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
damn bro, you keep recommending pawn shops. i guess it doesnt hurt to benefit from someone elses' misery right?
Is it worse than ebay? I get a lot of audio stuff as well as a lot of tools from pawn shops. There are some good deals to be had, pawn shopping is almost as fun as thrift store shopping, or even garage sale cruising. How the crap got there is not of my concern, I am helping the economy b keeping my money in the local area.

What percentage of money spent at the local pawn shop stays in the area vs. Home Depot?

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Pawn shops rule. Old fashioned Ebay where you get to touch the stuff before you buy. I've picked up several tools from the local pawn guy. I would actually think they carry less stolen stuff than ebay or Craig's list as they are easy for the cops/theived to check for stolen goods.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Pawn shops rule. Old fashioned Ebay where you get to touch the stuff before you buy. I've picked up several tools from the local pawn guy. I would actually think they carry less stolen stuff than ebay or Craig's list as they are easy for the cops/theived to check for stolen goods.
Cops around here like to scope out yard sales. They say a lot more stolen goods get sold at garage sales and craig's list than pawn shops.

There was a meth dealer in Gresham that used to hold garage sales with all the crap people traded for dope. When the local news asked the cops what tipped them off, the answer was "How many people do you know with 8 new lawn mowers?" :rofl:

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
looks like i gotta head to the ghetto to check a pawn shop out. new tools (to me) are always good.
and youre right, i could care less where it came from too.

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
Had a 14.4 Dewalt for years (maybe 10) and it held up pretty well. Replaced one enclosures (plastic outer) as it cracked between the trigger and rev/foreward switch. There is a Dewalt service center here and they did it for next to nothing. That drill saw a LOT of general constuction use including a lots of use outside in rain and dust building big'ol skateboard ramps..to the tune of 10+ hours a day.

It finally died this summer (enclosure cracked again as well as the internal gearing going out). Dewalt wants $85 to completely rebuild it...pretty good deal except the batteries dont really hold a charge any more.

Bought a 18 volt Li Ion makita lxt (the big blue one) and it is a BEAST!! It is a little heavy, but well ballanced and has some cool features like the belt hook, easy chuck, and fast smart charger. Gotta be careful though, with a big spade bit, it could break your wrist...it easily snaps #10 wood screw if the clutch is too high. A single battery lasts several days of medium work (cabinet install) and charge in an hour.

Definately happy with it!!

loco-gringo

Crusading Clamp Monkey
Sep 27, 2006
Deep in the heart of TEXAS

Haitiracers

Chimp
May 9, 2005
Reading, PA
I have dropped my 18V Dewalt XRP hammer drill into hot tubs and pools on several occasions over the last 6 years owning it and it continues to work as good as new. Over the last year 4 of my 6 batteries have crapped out, but that is understandable for how old they are. Plus $35 to service it and replace brushes every 5-6 years is great.

Like previously stated, Dewalt is pricy but it will be worth it in the long run.

jerseydirt

Turbo Monkey
May 6, 2007
dirty jerz
the DeWalt 18v hammer drill that my dad has is amazing, has lasted him over ten years, he used to own a machine/metal shop with cnc's and pipe benders and plasma and everything that would have been of great use to me. Then he sold it before I was old enough to use any of it.:disgust1: My dad still has the hammer drill and it is amazing.