Quantcast

Core Stengthening Program

Scotty

Chimp
Jul 9, 2001
Delaware
I heard a lower back and abs or core stengthening program is great for biking. I already do this type of program because of an injury to my back which is probably the only reason my body can take so much MTBiking. Any one else use this??

tammy

spyderzmom
Oct 10, 2001
lost
Originally posted by Scotty
I heard a lower back and abs or core stengthening program is great for biking. I already do this type of program because of an injury to my back which is probably the only reason my body can take so much MTBiking. Any one else use this??
Yes, I use Pilates and Fitball.

JOJO

Top Banana
Jun 28, 2001
Superior, CO
Yep I use fit ball and a number of other manuevers to strengthen the core...

I know a decent amount about it so PM me if you have any questions:)

R

RideMonkey

Originally posted by JOJO
Yep I use fit ball and a number of other manuevers to strengthen the core...

I know a decent amount about it so PM me if you have any questions:)
Nah come on no PM, we are all interested in learning this stuff :)

My lower back use to hurt and get stiff after about 1 hour of riding and I was already doing ab excercises daily. I got a roman chair(I think its also referred to as a hyperextension machine) and use it about 3 times a week and for the most part the pain and stiffnes is no more.

Also try this excercise:

get on the floor in a push up position but rest on your forearms instead of your hands. Your upper arms should be perpindicular to the floor. Then all you do is just hold that postion for as long as you can, at least 1 minute and keep your abs as tight as possible while holding there. It sounds kind of stupid but you gotta try it to believe it. One of the best core excercises you can do without equipment.

JOJO

Top Banana
Jun 28, 2001
Superior, CO
so are you lifting your head and chest when you are in this position or are you flat on the floor???? just curious..

Nov 16, 2001
midlands, UK
Hey Jojo,

your whole body , except toes and forearms should be off the floor. Like a pushup. The trainers at my gym have a variation of this one, you do it on your side as well. You move though 90 degrees and hold for as long as you can , then rotate through another 90 degrees. and so on. He reckons to start with a target of 5 mins and then work up to 10 or more.

RM

Scotty

Chimp
Jul 9, 2001
Delaware
I do this exercise and the one on my side too. The side one is very difficult to hold. You are also supposed to hold a pelvic tilt while you are doing this which makes it even harder. My therapist used to time me on the exercise and i think the longest I could hold it for was about 3 minutes. The push up variation is a little easier and more comfortable but I find it just as effective.

Originally posted by RykardMaximus
Hey Jojo,

your whole body , except toes and forearms should be off the floor. Like a pushup. The trainers at my gym have a variation of this one, you do it on your side as well. You move though 90 degrees and hold for as long as you can , then rotate through another 90 degrees. and so on. He reckons to start with a target of 5 mins and then work up to 10 or more.

RM
Sorry Jojo, kind of forgot I had posted here but Rykard took care of it.

As far as the quote for the side ones, could you explain that in a little more detail. I love to try that but I'm noy quite clear on it.

Thanks

Scotty

Chimp
Jul 9, 2001
Delaware
Lay on your side with one leg kind of over laping the other. Example, if you are laying on your right side put you body straight an then out your left foot over you right foot. Then lock you pelvis and push up with your right forearm. Keep your pelvis locked and your body straight and don't sag. Hold this as long as you can, don't worry it won't be long this is hard. You can also do a version with your legs bent sllightly behind your body while still laying on your side. I hope I am explaning this right.

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
Originally posted by RykardMaximus
Hey Jojo,

your whole body , except toes and forearms should be off the floor. Like a pushup.
When this starts to get easy, try lifting one foot about six inches off of the ground, hold as long as you want and then switch to the other foot.