Quantcast

corner better

DarrylB

Monkey
Jan 16, 2008
the secret loam!
Get off the brakes while cornering, if you practice enough you will notice the difference.
Try entering a corner bit slower than you normally would, let go of brakes and carry all your speed through the turn, now go faster and faster without braking in the corner until you crash, then go just a bit slower.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
Hit the brakes Prior to getting into the corner. Then take your hands completly off the brakes, Kinda scetchy the first couple times you do it, but it works well, keeps you from Panic braking mid turn, but you need to learn to trust the bike, find your CoG, and try a couple different techniques, one like mentioned above. Weight the outside pedal, push the inside handlebar down and lean into your turn, also same thing, more for the mud, but keep your body verticle...... Different terrains, and situations will dictate how you turn, there is ALOT mroe to it, and probably the best thig I can say is to Go buy a Technique book that talks more about reading the terrain, and finding the proper Apex for a given turn.

Arkayne

I come bearing GIFs
May 10, 2005
SoCal
-Brake before the corner and NEVER during. Exit speed is much more important than entry. Slow IN and in control = fast out.

-In a series of corners, the LAST is the most important. Pick your cornering lines to allow the best exit out of the last corner.

-Stay low in a moto position, elbows and head up, knees bent with the inside pedal up and most of your weight on the outer pedal.

-Lean the bike rather than turning the bars.

-It's about counter-steering. For example, if you are making a left corner, you lean the bike to the left (how far comes with experience) and the front wheel will naturally want to flop over left so you PUSH with enough pressure using the inside hand to counter that motion. It's funny to hear that you should turn right to go left, but that's how it works.

-Keep your body vertical in relation to the ground and generally above the bottom bracket. If you find yourself falling over and wanting to tripod, you are leaning too far into the turn.

-VISION! Look where you want to go and not where your front tire is. Let the bike do its job by absorbing the tiny rock you shouldn't be looking at.

-Try to get that outer elbow UP and your hips into the direction of the corner.

-All the body movements above happens at the same time so make perfect practice.

-Most importantly, if it means a lot to you, get some formal training and attend a bike skills clinic.

-The Earthed series has lots of great examples of the above.

P.T.W

Monkey
May 6, 2007
christchurch nz
Watch the pro's, do what they do, and watch Fundamantals, it helps.[/QUOTE]

Or in my case
Watch what pros do,Munt myself trying to do what they do:bonk:

Percy

Monkey
May 2, 2005
Christchurch NZ
Watch the pro's, do what they do, and watch Fundamantals, it helps.
Or in my case
Watch what pros do,Munt myself trying to do what they do:bonk:[/QUOTE]

Haahaah!:busted:

Same, damnitt!:imstupid:

dhkid said:
i see that no body talked about rotating their hips, i find it makes a huge difference!
Arkayne did, but its worth repeating!
To clarify, rotate your hips in the direction you want to turn, you'll naturally turn that way. With all the other things mentioned and a bit of practice you'll be cutting up the course like a course cutting up thing!:monkeydance:

Arkayne

I come bearing GIFs
May 10, 2005
SoCal
i see that no body talked about rotating their hips, i find it makes a huge difference!
Yeah I did!

"-Try to get that outer elbow UP and your hips into the direction of the corner."

edit: ooops, didn't see Percy's text at the bottom of the post

Threepointtwo

Monkey
Jun 21, 2002
SLC, UT
-Brake before the corner and NEVER during. Exit speed is much more important than entry. Slow IN and in control = fast out.

-In a series of corners, the LAST is the most important. Pick your cornering lines to allow the best exit out of the last corner.

-Stay low in a moto position, elbows and head up, knees bent with the inside pedal up and most of your weight on the outer pedal.

-Lean the bike rather than turning the bars.

-It's about counter-steering. For example, if you are making a left corner, you lean the bike to the left (how far comes with experience) and the front wheel will naturally want to flop over left so you PUSH with enough pressure using the inside hand to counter that motion. It's funny to hear that you should turn right to go left, but that's how it works.

-Keep your body vertical in relation to the ground and generally above the bottom bracket. If you find yourself falling over and wanting to tripod, you are leaning too far into the turn.

-VISION! Look where you want to go and not where your front tire is. Let the bike do its job by absorbing the tiny rock you shouldn't be looking at.

-Try to get that outer elbow UP and your hips into the direction of the corner.

-All the body movements above happens at the same time so make perfect practice.

-Most importantly, if it means a lot to you, get some formal training and attend a bike skills clinic.

-The Earthed series has lots of great examples of the above.

Very good! :clapping:

OilCanRacer

Chimp
Feb 13, 2008
cornering secrets revealed:

cornering is like painting. the better the prep work the better the paint job.
set up your bike to the course(including corners).

pick yopur lines(if possible) before you get there.

if you watch race cars they accellerate all the way to the corner, then hit the brakes hard enough not to slide over the turn. then glide thru them.

enter the turn with your body high and unweighted. thru the turn lower your body and weight to add traction(combo of down and leaning in). then come up and unweight outta the corner. this if done right will accelerate you out. this is call pumping.

if the corner is fast and smooth enough:
enter the turn with your inside pedal up. midway through the turn level your pedals with the inside pedal foward. exiting the turn inside pedal up. do this with the above pump and you will catch fire coming outta a corner.

too many people just freeze thru turns. body english plays a big roll in keeping speed.

like said in prior posts inside elbow up, inside shoulder down, hips lead your body so keep them just pointed ahead of your bike in the direction of the turn.

ahhh i could write a book but start with those one at a time adding more as you get comfortable and trial and error. everybodies bike, style and body is different and you will find how much of each works for you.
i have a super smooth relaxed style, keeping low to the ground on the course, pumping every chance i get and looking like i am not using any effort especially thru turns. nothing but the opposite is true. i put out alot of muscle just to look like i'm not.

vtminuteman

Monkey
Nov 29, 2004
Sharon VT
Go to a dirt parking lot(gravel hurts so does pavement) and practice turning in a safe environment(no trees/rocks). Practice all the above mentioned techniques. If you set up things to turn around it will be better than just turning for the heck of it. If you think you can get enough good practice turning on the trail, think again. Nothing beats a dirt lot.