Quantcast

Corp scam, or creative marketing?

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
My son was telling me about a friend of his who spends $200 or more for pairs of shoes he has never worn. Being the cheap bastard that I am (but also having a fondness of nice shoes) I was blown away by this idea. So he showed me the Nike SB series of shoes.

Nike took old mid 80's shoes, remade them in some of the ugliest colors, sells them through "SB registered" stores and in limited number and sizes. They range from $120 to $200 or more a pair from what I saw, and then sell on ebay for up to $400 a pair!

If you had Nike shoes or rode a skateboard in the 80's, you may know about Air Force 1's. These were some of the best skate shoes (made for basketball) available and you could get them at Copeland Sports for $35 a pair on sale.

So now Nike is making them in ugly colors and calling them "limited" and people go nuts. They are old technology and are old styles, but because of the "limited" availability, they sell like crazy. He was telling me that his friend has 20 or more pairs he will never wear because they are collectors items! They are marketed as skate shoes and sold in skate shops, but at $200 a pair, who would skate in these?

So I ask, is this a scam by Nike to make a boat load of coin off kids, or it is it just a great example of creative marketing?

http://www.nike.com/nikeskateboarding/v2/main.html

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
how would it be a scam? like Slugman says, it's just illustrating that joe sixpack-of-imported-beer is irrational and has cash (or credit line :think: ) to spare.

blt2ride

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2005
Chatsworth
Slugman said:
Can't blame the company for capitilizing on people's stupidity...
Ultimately it’s the customer who makes the decision to buy these ugly shoes. However, I must say that I’m not a fan of Nike products, and personally don’t own any and no interest in buying anything that Nike makes…that’s just me.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Yeah talk about limited quantities, I went to Quizno's for their prime rib sandwich and they were all sold out. While I was in there 5 people came in and ordered the same thing. How could you not have the stuff you flood the boob tube with?

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Happy 13,000th post, stosh.

This isn't a scam at all. It's the market at work.

People are idiots. Company recognizes this, makes product targeted at idiots. Idiot buys it.

It's only a scam if they are dishonest or misleading.

I Are Baboon

Vagina man
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Sounds like Nike is selling these as collectibles more than they are footwear. I don't think it's any different than any other kind of collectible out there.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I just need to tap in is all. I'm all about quality footwear, but collectible footwear is funny. I guess it's no different than Beanie Babies, I didn't get that either.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I Are Baboon said:
The only way I'm spending $200 on a pair of shoes is if they are MTB shoes that I can beat the living hell out of. :)
I spent that on a pair of dress shoes I have had since 1994, but I have worn the hell out of them as well.

This is a funny topic.
Was shooting some stick with a buddy of mine and he was sporting the old school Nikes like we're talking about.
I said oh great i would sport those they must be like $30 being so basic in construction and all and so when he told me he paid $100 i really thought he was yanking my chain.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
DRB said:
And how much are you spending on your bikes?
Bikes I ride, or bikes I collect? I bought a 1989 Centurion Ironman Dave Scott road bike because I raced a 1988 Centurion in high school and I loved it. you could say it might be "collectable" based on the fact that it was the only year they were offered with the Suntour GPX group.

I rode it to work this morning and have put about 300 miles on it since I bought it 2 months ago. I paid $120 for it on ebay. It was much nicer than anything else I found at my lbs for $120.

Slugman

Frankenbike
Apr 29, 2004
Miami, FL
DRB said:
And how much are you spending on your bikes?
I wasn't going to be the one to say it... but I was thinking the same thing.

There are plenty of people on this board would buy "brand X", for more money than a similar bike, based soley on a name.

blt2ride

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2005
Chatsworth
Tenchiro said:
When will people learn that anything marketed as "collectable" isn't.
Exactly...now if someone had an orginal pair of 1985 Air Jordons, that would be "collectable." Making them in 2006, and calling them "collectable," makes them just another pair of shoes...

Tenchiro

Attention K Mart Shoppers
Jul 19, 2002
New England
jimmydean said:
Bikes I ride, or bikes I collect? I bought a 1989 Centurion Ironman Dave Scott road bike because I raced a 1988 Centurion in high school and I loved it. you could say it might be "collectable" based on the fact that it was the only year they were offered with the Suntour GPX group.

I rode it to work this morning and have put about 300 miles on it since I bought it 2 months ago. I paid $120 for it on ebay. It was much nicer than anything else I found at my lbs for $120.
I used to have an old Swirly Purple & White Centurion back in the day. I think it was the Lemans or something.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
loco said:
Air Jordans rocked. It's not '86 anymore.
You are correct, sir! I used to get 2 pairs for $55 at Copeland's and they were some of the best skate shoes ever. I averaged a pair a month, a month and a half if I used an entire tube of Shoe Goo.

J

JRB

jimmydean said:
You are correct, sir! I used to get 2 pairs for $55 at Copeland's and they were some of the best skate shoes ever. I averaged a pair a month, a month and a half if I used an entire tube of Shoe Goo.
Duct tape - it took lots of duct tape to keep them going.