Quantcast

Corporate Job here I come

cannondalejunky

ease dropper
Jun 19, 2005
Arkansas
well i just got the call and i am now an employee for the worlds largest retailer. my job will be doing drawings for store remodels

before you go flaming me for "selling out" or working for the devil... hear me out
my current job is a temp position with no benefits and low pay for someone with my experience. it COULD turn into a permanent position but nothing is for sure. plus their business relies heavily on the economy and construction of new buildings. I almost lost my job there last summer just because steel prices went up.

with wally world if people start loosing their jobs and start getting desperate for money they going to go there to get the bare necessities. and they are cutting back on construction of new buildings which heavily effects the company i currently work for, since wal-mart is tied as their number one customer. i did look around at other companies but there just isn't much of anything in this area for drafters. plus the pay is quite a bit higher than my current job, i get GREAT benefits and job security...non of which i currently have.

so i'm pretty excited about this...should be a good job with plenty of room to move up

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
ugh wal-mart. I hated dealing with them. When I was in the toy industry, we basically designed everything to what THEY wanted. Which could change on a whim. not to mention the ridiculous number of exlusive sku's they want.

I was always told that they're such a big account, that not selling your product there would be detrimental to sales.... which only makes some sense to me. If consumers want your product badly enough, wouldn't it make sense that they would go elsewhere to get it? So there would only be an impact in the short term until consumers realize they would no longer be able to get your product at wally world? IDK my attitude is that they only have so much power over consumers/manufacturers is because we let them.

While I do hate WalMart, I don't hate you for working there.

cannondalejunky

ease dropper
Jun 19, 2005
Arkansas
you gotta remember that wal-mart started out as a small business just like any other...it just so happens that sam walton was smart with his money and new where and how to invest it to work his way up to the top...you cant blame a man for being successful and what he does

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
you gotta remember that wal-mart started out as a small business just like any other...it just so happens that sam walton was smart with his money and new where and how to invest it to work his way up to the top...you cant blame a man for being successful and what he does
But he's been dead for nearly 2 decades, I wonder what he'd have to say about his business's current tactics.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Congrats man!

Job security in the construction world is hard to find.

chicodude

The Spooninator
Mar 28, 2004
Paradise
thet got where they are by using illegal and super shady business practices.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
Walmart is a great place to pick up meth'd out skanks. Have fun.

(but watch out for snaggle tooth if you're offered fellatio)

geargrrl

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2002
pnw -dry side
strong arming suppliers and union busting?

not to mention monitoring workers hours to make sure they won't qualify for health bennies that are for 40+ hours a week workers.

This is not to slam OP, congrats on getting what looks like to be a stable position in this economy. I would think that working on the "professional" end of things might be a little different than the wage-slave end.

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
doesn't 1/2 of ark work for wally-world? no wonder teh duggars live there.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle

The corporate brain washing was successful. Next step is breaking your will to live.

Monkey
shh...he *might* get a permanent position.....
:monkeydance:
strong arming suppliers and union busting?

not to mention monitoring workers hours to make sure they won't qualify for health bennies that are for 40+ hours a week workers.

This is not to slam OP, congrats on getting what looks like to be a stable position in this economy. I would think that working on the "professional" end of things might be a little different than the wage-slave end.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Hell, a 22 year old kid's gotta do what he's gotta do.

Congrats on the new job! You can get all philisophical and political when you are older and can afford to. For now, in this economy, take what you can get.

So what's your employee discount? I got 20% when I worked for Ames Department Stores (home office, yo). :D

cannondalejunky

ease dropper
Jun 19, 2005
Arkansas
Hell, a 22 year old kid's gotta do what he's gotta do.

Congrats on the new job! You can get all philisophical and political when you are older and can afford to. For now, in this economy, take what you can get.

So what's your employee discount? I got 20% when I worked for Ames Department Stores (home office, yo). :D
they only give 10% off gm products and produce

Austin Bike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 26, 2003
Duh, Austin
world's.....fastest......corporate.....brainwashing.......

cannondalejunky

ease dropper
Jun 19, 2005
Arkansas
world's.....fastest......corporate.....brainwashing.......
i know that they've had some crazy, illegal, maybe corrupt ways of running a company...find me a major corporation that hasn't done the same...but all i was stating is people complain about them running out mom and pop shops when they don't realize that they started the same way.

but if they're gonna sign the checks i'll just keep doing the work and mind my own business

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Has anyone thought about the slight possibility that the typical mom & pop business model may no longer be viable or even desirable to today's consumer? While I don't care for Walmart its not because I'm morally opposed to their business practices - its because their stores are so damn large and I'm easily confused.

What Walmart has done to the corner drugstore is no different than what the corner drugstores did to the traveling salesmen - just on a much larger scale, one that mirrors the economic growth of our times.

jebfour

Turbo Monkey
Jun 19, 2003
CLT, NC
Congrats on the new job. Ignore those who give you a bad time - they are likley just trying to look "cool" on the net and there is a good chance that they work for a large company too.....

Not many people make a decent living working at the corner market......especially in their early twenties.

Last edited:

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Jobz is tough all over, you need to look out for #1 and stuff.

I interviewed with WalMart in Texas (over the phone). It was working on their POS and inventory software but I wanted out of POS since it's such a crap project base.

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
- its because their stores are so damn large and I'm easily confused.

What Walmart has done to the corner drugstore is no different than what the corner drugstores did to the traveling salesmen - just on a much larger scale, one that mirrors the economic growth of our times.
And 98% of the stuff there is absolute sweat shop manufactured CRAP...and my white trash ex wife shops there AND works for them.

But folks are right, a job is good tohave these days. Even if your employer sucks peoples souls out of them...

loco-gringo

Crusading Clamp Monkey
Sep 27, 2006
Deep in the heart of TEXAS
And 98% of the stuff there is absolute sweat shop manufactured CRAP...and my white trash ex wife shops there AND works for them.

But folks are right, a job is good tohave these days. Even if your employer sucks peoples souls out of them...
Didn't your employer invade a couple of countries in the last decade??? Just saying.

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
congrats on finding a good job. I worked for Fox (in news none the less) for 8 years...i have no soul left. :D

My #1 tip for surviving corp. employment...the Beer Lunch. :cheers:

Austin Bike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 26, 2003
Duh, Austin
Show me the perfect corporation and I'll paint my nipples white.
No company is perfect. But I would easily take the bet that walmat has had more judgements against it than any of the other companies that I have worked for. And for some pretty crazy stuff too, things that clearly don't fall into the "gosh I didn't know that was wrong" bucket. Like hiring illegal aliens, forcing people to work through their lunch breaks, locking the store after hours and forcing people to work (unpaid) beyond their work day. The list is pretty long.

I won't even touch the mom and pop issue because someone else said it better than me - when was the last time you were in a mom and pop?

There is a wal mart being built on the north side of austin and the neighborhood fought it. I supported it, even though I won't shop there. It is the site of an essentially abandoned mall. At least with a wal mart we'll see some tax base. The almost empty mall was doing nothing for the community. And now that we have a recession, nobody is spending and cities have to cut back - we need the tax income.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Not knocking the job, but check out:
www.walmartmovie.com

Well made film with accurate data.

There is a wal mart being built on the north side of austin and the neighborhood fought it. I supported it, even though I won't shop there. It is the site of an essentially abandoned mall. At least with a wal mart we'll see some tax base. The almost empty mall was doing nothing for the community. And now that we have a recession, nobody is spending and cities have to cut back - we need the tax income.
WalMart has more abandoned sqft than any other company. Once a building is built to be a WalMart and they abandon it to build a Super WalMart across town, that site will forever be empty.

Last edited:

Sherpa

Basking in fail.
Jan 28, 2004
Arkansaw
WalMart has more abandoned sqft than any other company. Once a building is built to be a WalMart and they abandon it to build a Super WalMart across town, that site will forever be empty.
False, there was an old Wal-Mart here that turned into a TSC.