Corporate Job here I come

cannondalejunky

ease dropper
Jun 19, 2005
Arkansas
Not knocking the job, but check out:
www.walmartmovie.com

Well made film with accurate data.

WalMart has more abandoned sqft than any other company. Once a building is built to be a WalMart and they abandon it to build a Super WalMart across town, that site will forever be empty.
i saw that movie a while back when i went through a walmart hating stage and even then i thought the movie was pretty dumb...all a bunch of one sided ultra bias bs

edit: and what people are going to be seeing a lot more of with walmart is more abandoned building takeovers and a lot less abandoned buildings...the reason i say that is because that's going to be a big part of my job is doing designs for takeovers it's much cheaper to do that than to build a new building because walmart is cutting back drastically on construction of brand new buildings. they may also be using old walmart buildings and turning them into neighborhood markets too

Last edited:

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
Talking about Walmart shutting down mom and pop stores reminds me of the republicans saying Obama would ruin Joe the plumber's future.

Congratulation with the job!

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
Has anyone thought about the slight possibility that the typical mom & pop business model may no longer be viable or even desirable to today's consumer?
Walmart and other big box stores have changed the consumer mind set in this country. In effect they have created a perpetual customer base for themselves. They do this by eliminating competition and selling cheap imported merchandise.

Walmart moves into a community with the intention of dominating and changing the local economy to suite their needs. It is their goal to force out the smaller mom and pop businesses. Even if a community voices opposition to Walmart opening in their area they will still do it. They will even go so far as to provide a list of reasons why they cannot be stopped, even if they are not wanted.

When the smaller businesses are eliminated the consumer is left with fewer choices as to where to shop. This in turn increases the demand for cheap merchandise that Walmart imports from China. Eventually the consumer loses appreciation for the smaller businesses simply because they no longer have that interaction. This further fuels the desire for cheap imported goods because it's all the consumer knows.

Several years ago a study was done that tracked the money spent within a local community. A dollar spent at a mom and pop store circulated 6-8 times within the same community. The same dollar spent at Walmart only circulated once.

As a small business owner and a producer of hand made items I am saddened by what Walmart has done to this country, both economically and culturally. The cycle of supply and demand that they have created has changed the American consumer's mind set to the point that they have lost a great deal of appreciation for hand made items and local small businesses. Increased demand for cheap imports has directly resulted in a loss of manufacturing in this country. Jobs continue to be lost to overseas outsourcing, and our economy falters.

Some people on here may not care about where they spend their money, but I do. I have no desire to live in a place that lacks some kind of diversity. I want to be able to choose where I shop and how my dollar is used.

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
But who is to blame Walmart or the consumer? I think Walmart seems pretty clear about their intentions.

I do like that New York City has made a decision not to approve a Walmart here.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
I know a fair amount about the business of retail - I can tell you incontrovertibly that it is the other way around. No retail operation has ever been successful "creating" consumers for whatever it is they happen to offer. Successful retail ventures, including Walmart, became successful by filling a need in the market place.

I have lived in a small town that experienced the opening of a Walmart. I'd have to say the net effect was positive. A crappy old K-Mart from the 60s was torn down and yes, several independents closed over the years but the increased competition forced Safeway, JCPenney and Sears to remodel and expand. People from the surround areas began to shop in our town (Aberdeen, Wa) instead of 50 miles away in Olympia. The sales tax base increased as local people reduce their number of out of town shopping trips.

People want convenience, value & selection and they prefer to get it all in one place. The mom & pop business model has been on the decline since the 1950s. Cheap transportation, interstate highways and the suburban dream have created a culture that does not support the general variety concept on a small scale.

Specialty shops - like your local LBS, should remain viable since they deal in products, price points, margins & a level of service that falls outside the big box concept.

Walmart and other big box stores have changed the consumer mind set in this country. In effect they have created a perpetual customer base for themselves.

AngryMetalsmith

Jun 4, 2006
I know a fair amount about the business of retail - I can tell you incontrovertibly that it is the other way around. No retail operation has ever been successful "creating" consumers for whatever it is they happen to offer. Successful retail ventures, including Walmart, became successful by filling a need in the market place.
Again, I disagree. Customers can be created. Ever heard of crack ?

have lived in a small town that experienced the opening of a Walmart. I'd have to say the net effect was positive. A crappy old K-Mart from the 60s was torn down and yes, several independents closed over the years but the increased competition forced Safeway, JCPenney and Sears to remodel and expand. People from the surround areas began to shop in our town (Aberdeen, Wa) instead of 50 miles away in Olympia. The sales tax base increased as local people reduce their number of out of town shopping trips.

People want convenience, value & selection and they prefer to get it all in one place. The mom & pop business model has been on the decline since the 1950s. Cheap transportation, interstate highways and the suburban dream have created a culture that does not support the general variety concept on a small scale.
Walmart and other big box stores have provided the temptation of convenience and cheap merchandise through big budget marketing plans. The smaller independent busineses can't compete and are forced out.

Walmart makes absolutely no bones about it, they move into the area with the intention of dominating the local economy. They are hell bent on putting independents out of business, and even Walmart execs. will tell you that.

Almost every town in the US that has had Walmart move in has seen a decline in independently owned and operated businesses. I can't tell you how many small Hardware stores I've seen go under.

Have you ever had a conversation with a business owner who was forced to close their doors less than a year after Walmart has opened in their area ? Tell that person that it's better for the economy if they can't keep their doors open. Tell their family that their way of life must change because it's more convenient for you to shop at Walmart. Tell them !

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Several years ago a study was done that tracked the money spent within a local community. A dollar spent at a mom and pop store circulated 6-8 times within the same community. The same dollar spent at Walmart only circulated once.
citation please

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
The smaller independent busineses can't compete and are forced out.
Hello Henry Ford! All obviousness aside, what makes smaller independent businesses a better place to shop?

They [Walmart] are hell bent on putting independents out of business, and even Walmart execs. will tell you that.
Many, many businesses are hell on dominating the competition - its a major component of the free market economy.

Almost every town in the US that has had Walmart move in has seen a decline in independently owned and operated businesses. I can't tell you how many small Hardware stores I've seen go under.
So the best way to compete in the modern economy is to wish your competition away? Force consumers to shop at businesses that offer higher prices, lower selection, inconvenient locations and limited hours of operation?

Have you ever had a conversation with a business owner who was forced to close their doors less than a year after Walmart has opened in their area ? Tell that person that it's better for the economy if they can't keep their doors open. Tell their family that their way of life must change because it's more convenient for you to shop at Walmart. Tell them !
Actually yes - one of my neighbors owned a Coast to Coast hardware store in Hoquiam, Wa - about 6 miles away from Walmart. His businesses had been on the decline for years, long before Walmart even considered moving into town. He was far more philosophical in his outlook, he knew he couldn't compete as a general line hardware store and took appropriate action - one of which was to close down while he was still profitable. It took about a year or so to sell off his inventory and then he retired.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
If it wasn't for WalMart, mobile meth labs wouldn't have a place to park. It's almost as good as the drive through coffee shops.

The cooks can get all the ingredients and the customer comes to them. It's truly a win/win.

AngryMetalsmith

Jun 4, 2006
Yes, crack has flourished due to high consumer demand. Previously only those with money and connections could afford cocaine.

I responded to this separately because I don't think you could be seriously believe what you wrote...
No, I was totally serious, totally.

The comparison is not that far fetched. Crack dealers, as well as other organized crime enterprises, operate in a very similar manner to corporate businesses. They too have a chain of command and a business model that includes a CEO, VP, Marketing and Sales people.

Austin Bike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 26, 2003
Duh, Austin
Sorry, I don't have link to that.

It was an article about the economic impact of professional crafts in Western North Carolina, in Mountain Express (circa 2001), a weekly Asheville publication.
I completely believe that statistic, BUT, it should not be limited to wal-mart, it should be tied to ANY business not headquartered in the city.

If a dollar is spent at wal-mart, about 5-6% probably stays with the city in sales tax. Probably 10% stays with the city in terms of local services, garbage, cleaning, misc services, etc. ~15-20% stays in local salaries.

Probably ~60% goes back to headquarters. But this is true for any business with multiple locations.

McDonald's, 7-11, best buy, your grocery store, etc.

The $1 spent at a small business has that same 5-6% in sales tax. The same ~10% in local services. Probably ~30% goes to local salaries as well (for small businesses it will be a larger percentage.) The remaining money (~50%) probably gets spent in the local economy. At best buy. At the texaco. At mcdonald's. Etc.

I believe the study is probably skewed and not taking into consideration that unless you live in palo alto, your kids aren't getting "local ipods" and unless you live in oakbrook, you don't get a "local big mac".

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
Didn't your employer invade a couple of countries in the last decade??? Just saying.
Hey, this isnt about me here...

You know what kills me about any big box outlet for anything? They are all the same...everything. I hate that. Show me some regional differences...adapt the store to the space...teh fact that the Wally World in Lancaster Ca looks identical to the one in Lombard Illinois creeps me out. Just like McDs, Taco Smell, younamethestoreorrestaraunt...

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
The smaller independent busineses can't compete and are forced out.
Small business shouldn't try and directly compete as they're destined to fail. There is simply no way to match their buying power and inventory.

My family owned a business that supplied electrical components to the Big 3. We constantly needed to modify our niche in the market to remain relevant as larger suppliers could always beat us on price. Through service and specialization the company was able to survive in a brutally competitive, price focused market (we sold it ~10yrs ago after owning it for 40yrs).

All the construction materials I use for my business are purchased from locally owned specialty suppliers. These vendors offer better service, high quality products and competitive, yet higher, pricing.

Big Boxes can't be everything to everyone. There is plenty of opportunity to thrive in their shadow, imo.

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
...the reason i say that is because that's going to be a big part of my job is doing designs for takeovers it's much cheaper to do that than to build a new building because walmart is cutting back drastically on construction of brand new buildings. they may also be using old walmart buildings and turning them into neighborhood markets too
so instead of building new ovens, you'll use the ones from dachau?

/troll
not being well-versed in how these studies are done, the meaning of the words tells me the wal-mart employee - at every level - would have to refuse to spend their income locally for this to be true. it wouldn't make sense to discount this or associated local taxes on the property, sales, etc.

toshi, you'd like this book: stat-spotting - A Field Guide to Identifying Dubious Data. heard the guy interviewed on npr this wknd
Increased demand for cheap imports has directly resulted in a loss of manufacturing in this country.
what you call cheap the consumer calls "good enough"
Some people on here may not care about where they spend their money, but I do. I have no desire to live in a place that lacks some kind of diversity. I want to be able to choose where I shop and how my dollar is used.
when all things are equal (product quality & store location foremost), i tend to spend locally, even if the mark-up is %10. (outside of the service industry, common big ticket items are hard to find locally). as far as diversity goes, this is all well & good if the quality is similar. i appreciate my eye dr has 45 brands of eyewear, but i choose oakley & forsake all others. i find my diversity within a trusted name. i find consumer diversity is useful for yogurt, cereal, & cell phones - none of which are produced locally.

i find it more responsible to look to buy used or repair items (where practical, of course)

e: ...which may explain my 1st comment in this post