Quantcast

Corporations and politics

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Hypernormality
Yes it is pretty frustrating sometimes. However, tell me a better one-stop news shop for the US and it’s attitudes. A hard ask I know...

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Hypernormality
Something that has been bothering me generally since Biden has got in is yet again this new round of sort of casting around for whosoever is going to be the new enemy for the US. Is it Russia, is it China, is it Iran?

Seriously the US political/military industrial system can’t exist without a major enemy at all times, and if there isn’t one you have to pretend there is. It’s infuriating and childish. As we’ve seen since WWII the US loves to be binary about these things and the first instinct for your foreign policy is the hammer.

I was hoping this could one day change, maybe there was enough humility going round after donnie dickhead but apparently not.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Something that has been bothering me generally since Biden has got in is yet again this new round of sort of casting around for whosoever is going to be the new enemy for the US. Is it Russia, is it China, is it Iran?
Texas

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Hypernormality

Kristin Starnes, a spokesperson for Jeep’s parent company, the Amsterdam-based Stellantis, said in a statement that the vehicle name was carefully selected “and nurtured over the years to honor and celebrate Native American people for their nobility, prowess and pride”.
One has to ask, if they intend to honour these people, why is the car such a piece of shit?

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
call me crazy....corporate America should be kept the fuck out of american politics...

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
Yes, I read all of those. But they are all ‘external’ to some extent.
I get most of my news from the economist, financial times, washingon post, slate, dw; and then a few local influencers on fb.
Sometimes i tune into abc news or cnn, but I have grown to dislike the nagging/dramatism from them.

Lately I find myself liking dw a lot.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Hypernormality
I’m having a break from the Graun and the Old Grey, and having a focus on RNZ, AlJazeera and Reuters for a bit. I don’t mind a bit of DW also.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Hypernormality
The Graun was pissing me off because the UK left is so fucking pathetic, and so much of the opinion content was just fucking me off with its middle class pointless nothing-bullshit. It is also becoming blind to its own prejudices, and is stuck in a state of constant weakness.

The NYT still thinks equivalency is a thing, despite being slapped across the face with the opposite of that. Grow some balls, NYT.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Hypernormality
Has anyone noticed that two of the recent large corporate hacks have succeeded at an oil pipeline and a meat production company? Both large contributors to climate change? Not saying I think this is a good thing — actually nope, I totally think this is a good thing if this is indeed a ‘feature’ and not a function of old, outdated industries being easy targets, which unfortunately is probably actually the case.

Has anyone else read Kim Stanley Robinson’s latest; Ministry for the Future?

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
I'll confess I hadn't heard about the meat industry hack and had to look it up. "Environmental terrorists" is an interesting angle. Possible? I suppose so, but I'd like to see some evidence to suggest this is more than rouge state probing/practice for bigger hits.

Yes, my first thought was “this is the ELF next generation at work”.
Probably beats wandering the hills and spiking trees. That shits dirty work, yo!

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Meh, it's probably the "meat industry" that is stifling research on growing meat in labs, which is a better idea.