Quantcast

Corsair Corona

toowacky

Monkey
Feb 20, 2010
Pac NW
Didn't see it posted here yet, but Corsair 2011 bikes are up on their site.

The DH/FR is the Corona, no Dominion.

The design seems to have gone single pivot and unlike the prototype Dominion (which was advertised as capable of using several different shocks to obtain a 4-8" travel config), it's advertised as just being able to be configured in 2 travel lengths, 7" FR and 8" DH.

captainspauldin

intrigued by a pole
May 14, 2007
Jersey Shore
Looks like a single shock version of the crown w/o their pivot system(forget what it's called).. Dominion is much better looking IMO..

Kinda disappointing it looks like all the bikes went to single pivots, that pivot system they had before looked pretty cool. New website looks like crap also..

Last edited:

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007
Maybe they'll try to hit the "good deal" side of things, like the new izimus, 951, etc.

I would rather ride the corona over the crown, seemed like a lot going on with that bike.

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007
Looks like a single shock version of the crown w/o their pivot system(forget what it's called).. Dominion is much better looking IMO..

Kinda disappointing it looks like all the bikes went to single pivots, that pivot system they had before looked pretty cool. New website looks like crap also..
If I remember right, the pivot system only acheived more stiffness, not really a different axle path- maybe this was the smarter way to go. I think it's cool they aren't clinging to their pivot if it's not really that much greater-- I think it sucks when companies cling to something that isn't worthwhile (like manitou's reverse arch).

Although, I have to agree, their old pivot system did look really cool, and their bikes did have some unique/cool ideas that seem to be going away now, which is a bummer.

Pslide

Turbo Monkey
Wow, clicking on that link was like going back in time...

Just look at those seat towers!

That said, I love the simplicity. Should have a nice progressive but linear leverage ratio, pivot is in the right place...what else do you need? Maybe a bit of shock protection...

Slater

Monkey
Oct 10, 2007
Wow, clicking on that link was like going back in time...

Just look at those seat towers!
Couldn't have said it better myself.

Would like to add though that I fail to see the appeal in this bike (other than the simplicity).

Geometry is quite "uninspired" as well as the suspension system (which has neither a good axle path or shock rate). A bike can be great with either just great geo, or can be pretty damn good with ok geo and great suspension. But without both you have nothing more than inventory that you can't seem to turn over quick enough.

Last edited:

frango

Turbo Monkey
Jun 13, 2007
I know these are just renderings, but they looks sooo ordinary. With the dual pivot system Corsair used to use, they had story behind it, but now... :|

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
what happened? Somebody steal their ball and they decided to go home instead of building a new one? Their old sh.t pushed the limits of design, unfortunately they were "ideas" and not "executions", according to most test reports. Still, refine that process isntead of giving up! The last prototype looked really neat, used the same pivot system as the koenig but with more travel...and then...this?

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Unless they go direct order and sell them really cheap they are SOL. Not interested at all.

xy9ine

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
vancouver eastside
with the assumption this will be sold at a lower pricepoint, it doesn't look terrible. kinda like a (bit) prettier ftw. the adjustable h/a & shock swapping option makes for a versatile platform as well.

^but yeah, contingent on being cheap.

Speedgoat9

Monkey
Aug 27, 2009
State College, PA
what happened? Somebody steal their ball and they decided to go home instead of building a new one? Their old sh.t pushed the limits of design, unfortunately they were "ideas" and not "executions", according to most test reports. Still, refine that process isntead of giving up! The last prototype looked really neat, used the same pivot system as the koenig but with more travel...and then...this?
Pablo, the lead designer, left corsair. By the look of things he took his designs with him. Hopefully he lands somewhere and his work resurfaces.