Quantcast

Corsair - The Captain

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
It looks very nice but what makes this bike so special? The old corsairs were nice because they were one of the few companies with high pivot. Here I see a better looking FTW 10, possibly with worse build quality.

descente

Monkey
Jul 30, 2010
Sandy Eggo
i like it. A LOT. met pablo at northstar a month or so ago and he is one chill ass dude. i like his attitude, makes me want to get one of those frames. some geo would be nice, but it looks like its got adjustable CS and HA...i bet it rips.

PepperJester

Monkey
Jul 9, 2004
Wolfville NS
Looks solid.

On their facebook page there are some renderings of the frames form the other side that show the linkage better, seems similar to their current slope bike. Should be stiff as all hell with such short links.

Quote from their Facebook:
"Corsair Bikes March to June production window! 3-in-one DH/FR/SS geometry matched to a riders size. Accepts 4 different shock lengths (9.5"/8.5"/7.5"/6.5" eye to eye for 4 to 8 inches of travel) around our new "UNIT" linkage system that will out accelerate, brake and balance everything out there. 62.5 to 69 head angles and 16.5" to 17" chainstay length adjustment with the new Slide-drops."

Personally my Maelstrom given me zero grief but we all know many others have had issues, I'd be willing to bet this new set up will be way more reliable epically without the finicky pulley. I would love a chance to compare the new rig to mine.

Last edited:

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
Looks solid.

On their facebook page there are some renderings of the frames form the other side that show the linkage better, seems similar to their current slope bike. Should be stiff as all hell with such short links.

Quote from their Facebook:
"Corsair Bikes March to June production window! 3-in-one DH/FR/SS geometry matched to a riders size. Accepts 4 different shock lengths (9.5"/8.5"/7.5"/6.5" eye to eye for 4 to 8 inches of travel) around our new "UNIT" linkage system that will out accelerate, brake and balance everything out there. 62.5 to 69 head angles and 16.5" to 17" chainstay length adjustment with the new Slide-drops."

Personally my Maelstrom given me zero grief but we all know many others have had issues, I'd be willing to bet this new set up will be way more reliable epically without the finicky pulley. I would love a chance to compare the new rig to mine.
So it is a bit like the Scott Voltage FR. Wonder if it will be a hit like the scott was, though that was mostly due to the price.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
Voltage is a faux bar though isn't it? This is a virtual pivot type setup
Not like it is a huge differance for most of what it was designed for ;) For dh yeah understand but I doubt it will be as stable susp wise as full on dh rigs anyway (well unless they want to compromise on its behaviour in lower travell settings and I doubt that).

Still I love the idea. Especialy that it looks much better than the voltage. Im just a bit sad that it looks like they drop the high pivot instead of fixing all the issues.

sethimus

neu bizutch
Feb 5, 2006
not in Whistler anymore :/
Not like it is a huge differance for most of what it was designed for ;) For dh yeah understand but I doubt it will be as stable susp wise as full on dh rigs anyway (well unless they want to compromise on its behaviour in lower travell settings and I doubt that).

Still I love the idea. Especialy that it looks much better than the voltage. Im just a bit sad that it looks like they drop the high pivot instead of fixing all the issues.
looks more like their old koenig frame, but super sized this time.

DirtEveryDay

Turbo Monkey
Nov 24, 2003
Pacific North Wet
Now...should I take it to think that basically the geo pretty much runs the opposite of the suspension travel number, like every other fugging bike out there?
I.e.- The 69* HA with the 8" travel setup, and vise-versa for the "slopestyle" settings?
If so, then this is nothing new, creative, or even useful.

Who out there WOULDN'T want a single, truly do-it-all bike. I'd love to be able to buy one frame, two shocks and two forks. Imagine being able to run it with a 63* HA in the summer with 8" of travel and hit the mtns, and in the fall/spring(atleast for me around here) be able to run it more like a trail/play bike: a little steeper, single crowned and shorter CS.

I'd still LOVE to set up a bike with a 62-64 HA, single crown, sub 13" BB and like 4" of travel for just rippin fast smooth steeps. With no hands...

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Now...should I take it to think that basically the geo pretty much runs the opposite of the suspension travel number, like every other fugging bike out there?
I.e.- The 69* HA with the 8" travel setup, and vise-versa for the "slopestyle" settings?
If so, then this is nothing new, creative, or even useful.

Who out there WOULDN'T want a single, truly do-it-all bike. I'd love to be able to buy one frame, two shocks and two forks. Imagine being able to run it with a 63* HA in the summer with 8" of travel and hit the mtns, and in the fall/spring(atleast for me around here) be able to run it more like a trail/play bike: a little steeper, single crowned and shorter CS.

I'd still LOVE to set up a bike with a 62-64 HA, single crown, sub 13" BB and like 4" of travel for just rippin fast smooth steeps. With no hands...
There's no way they're that dumb. You can see there are different shock mounts for the different shock lengths, I'm sure they've been more sensible.

Kamanchi

Chimp
Oct 31, 2008
Califonia
Hey this is Pablo from Corsair. I will post something on the new bike about the whys and hows and the low hype I'm trying to keep about this new version of the Corsair brand.

Sooo much time went into the study of how a riders "size" matches these three types of bikes and how I could get them into one frame for "us" the riders. I'm tired of seeing how none of us can afford this sport let alone three quality versions of a bike and when taking this Corsair 2.0 to the next level.. I had to rethink everything. Rethink that the bike industry has created a culture of people who enter a sport they really can't afford. I want to provide every one of my friends something that makes it easier to experience all aspects of riding without loosing the ability to afford travel and repairs. The Dominion wont be our premier DH design but will be as good or even better then what's available because of it's technology and "intent" to simplify what you need. To take a trip to Northstar, Whistler, Saalbach with a couple forks, rear shocks and do everything.

The headangles are accomplished with a combination of changing forks and anglesets. with a short 4" fork 66 to 69 is possible. I understand it's a bit of a mystery as to how a real dh geo bike can have anything to do with slopestyle geo but as this is my job and life I wouldn't of placed thousands of man hours to create product to help my friends and others who I may never meet if it wasn't possible.

We wont be selling the frames with shocks so the rider can make the informed decision as what they want the bike to be. Buying 300 to 500 rear shocks of a brand you may not want is terrible.

Ian Highlands will have an interview about the new program on Pinkbike soon with all three bike setups and the philosophy behind then so I hope you can check it out and let me know what you think. Thanks

p

DirtEveryDay

Turbo Monkey
Nov 24, 2003
Pacific North Wet
Well nutsacks....now I'm intrigued!
I was actually one of the first to jump on the Corsair bandwagon when it FIRST started rolling in...but then product never arrived, problems occured when it did, and I ended up on a Banshee Legend....which I gotta say is going to be really hard to get me off of!
However, I had to sell all my other bikes to get this thing, which puts me in the place I am now: pushing a 42lb bike up the local XC trails because I can't afford to go to the mtns 9 hours away every weekend!

If you can show me a frame that can TRULY go from 4" travel and steep HA to a long travel frame with a slack HA and a low BB and standover(my two main priorities), and I'll put the Legend on the auction block.
I don't need something I can monster truck through a rock garden, I need something that can be aimed and controlled, likes the flow lines, and has a little soul...

And low hype is highly underrated. If a bike can sell itself and there's customer service behind it...I'll be first in line.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
looks great. is the high pivot dual shock crown deceased? the marque and maelstrom?

Would love to see where the virtual pivot is on these...keep us posted with development!

Kamanchi

Chimp
Oct 31, 2008
Califonia
Pablo,

Does it have a tapered 1.125/1.5 or straight 1.5 HT?
Tapered with pinch bolts for easy installation and change out. I've never liked press fit and no one really has the correct tools to install and remove headsets so with the pinch it's easier and always the right fit.

P

Kamanchi

Chimp
Oct 31, 2008
Califonia
Thanks for the reply.

But damn, isn't anyone making a straight 1.5" HT anymore.

When will pricing be announced?
Around $2000 usd without shock. I will be more available now to update the Facebook page with new info after all this work I've had. Between Black Market, Corsair and now taking over the industrial design work for Atomlab I've been pinned!

time-bomb

Monkey
May 2, 2008
right here -> .
looks great. is the high pivot dual shock crown deceased? the marque and maelstrom?

Would love to see where the virtual pivot is on these...keep us posted with development!
if this bike is at all like the Konig, which it appears to be - suspension wise anyway, then it is a single pivot bike. it pivots on one link, the upper link. the lower link rotates w/the rear triangle to add stiffness. i guess to be technical about it it is a dual link bike but it mimics a single pivot wheel path. i forget exactly where i saw the video on it but it is out there floating around. if i find it i will post up a link for you.

edit: oh yeah, the captian looks pretty rad.

time-bomb

Monkey
May 2, 2008
right here -> .
http://corsairbikes.com/fly.aspx?layout=bike&taxid=60&sublayout=bikeanimations

It's on their site and it most definately uses both links. And I've been eating burritos and had about 3 too many Coronas now..so finding that link was a damn choreI tell you!
thanks for trying to help. that is the animation, not the video that actually explains how the suspension works. i never said it doesn't use both of them, the wheel path is determined by only one of them however. the lower link moves but is there to add stiffness. hopefully Pablo will chime in, he can explain it much better than i can.

DirtEveryDay

Turbo Monkey
Nov 24, 2003
Pacific North Wet
I dunno...honestly...who friggin cares? Bike goes bouncybouncy, wheel goes uppydowny, let's not church it up it's just a bicycle. As long as it doesn't fling itself intio an uncontrolled skid when you hit the stoppers or become a pogo stick it's a job well done.
Now for the important stuff...I want mine in translucent Mahoganey woodgrain with bars to match please.

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
Well...isn't everything of worse build quality than a FTW bike?
To put it simply, yes. The build quality on those is a very rare exception that falls far outside the norm by bike industry standards.

I think if anything the lines and tubeset of it look more like a 951, not an FTW.

I'd be very interested to see the reach/stack/downtube lengths they choose for certain rider sizes. Very cool to see that versatile of a frame.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
thanks for trying to help. that is the animation, not the video that actually explains how the suspension works. i never said it doesn't use both of them, the wheel path is determined by only one of them however. the lower link moves but is there to add stiffness. hopefully Pablo will chime in, he can explain it much better than i can.
I know that the koenig worked like that, and I expect this bike to as well (ride like a single pivot). I'm just wondering where said pivot would be in space. It's hard to tell from the photos, and I don't feel like taking out my ruler and trying to figure it out...

Kamanchi

Chimp
Oct 31, 2008
Califonia
Yo.. The UNIT linkage on the new bike is a variation of what started on the Konig but much higher on the frame now so it is more in line to work with the variety of rings used for the multiple setups and the use of a front derailleur.

I'm a bit of a devils advocate on suspension types and what they actually offer and I usually tell everyone about this one fact.... there isn't "one" suspension design on the planet that can make up for a broken rear shock... no matter what type of virtual-fsr-dw-gt-single-axle-path-rising-rate whatever.. If the rear shock isn't tuned or set the pivot locations cant fix it. The community used to **** all over the Specialized demo/fsr and singles pivots for not having the right antisquat or axle-paths but 2011 wc and Worlds just shows that good geo and shock tuning is key and makes success out of "any" suspension design. My commitment to my friends on the side of Corsair is to correct the fact that our industry creates the most insecure athletes on the planet because of how many technical spectrums can confuse the riders brain and confidence. The industry tries to sell mysteries in the form of bikes and I'd like to change that so that a riders brain will overcome any doubt and control his or her muscles to win-trick- their epic ride.

One key trait of the UNIT is it keeps the pivot-migration behind the BB thoughout the travel and this creates characteristic of being able to lift and manual the front end much easier then forward-single pivots or forward migrating linkage pivots. Like a latter dropped in front you, place the tips of you feet at the end of the latter and reach to pick up the latter so it pivots at the tips of your toes.. easy.. your feet stay on the ground and the latter pivots up as you only lift the weight. Now place the ends of your feet on the end of the latter while picking it up and now your simulating a forward pivot location.. the further forward it is the more you have to raise the BB to pick up the front end of the bike.. since you're standing on the BB you have to lift more of your own weight in order to Manual the front end.

Picking up the front end of the bike is a beautiful and misunderstood characteristic of suspension design. Without ****ting on other companies pure philosophies I have to inform my friends out there about why I've spent a gigantic amount of my life to create systems like the UNIT that create confidence in other people so they don't have to doubt their purchase over another riders purchase. This new system accelerates, brakes, and manuals the way I've always wanted it to and now it's a long road ahead to teach everyone whos interested that there is no mystery to suspension design.

You can win a world cup race on a single pivot. You can scrub on one, 360, frontflip... everything can be done on a single (Steve on Evil!)...same goes with linkage(Hill on Specialized).. the biggest difference between these two types of systems is your brain. My commitment to the new Corsair brand is making the riders brain stronger then the technology I'm creating and that's an informed relationship.

Keep the questions coming and I'm excited to answer

P

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Yo.. The UNIT linkage on the new bike is a variation of what started on the Konig but much higher on the frame now so it is more in line to work with the variety of rings used for the multiple setups and the use of a front derailleur.

I'm a bit of a devils advocate on suspension types and what they actually offer and I usually tell everyone about this one fact.... there isn't "one" suspension design on the planet that can make up for a broken rear shock... no matter what type of virtual-fsr-dw-gt-single-axle-path-rising-rate whatever.. If the rear shock isn't tuned or set the pivot locations cant fix it. The community used to **** all over the Specialized demo/fsr and singles pivots for not having the right antisquat or axle-paths but 2011 wc and Worlds just shows that good geo and shock tuning is key and makes success out of "any" suspension design. My commitment to my friends on the side of Corsair is to correct the fact that our industry creates the most insecure athletes on the planet because of how many technical spectrums can confuse the riders brain and confidence. The industry tries to sell mysteries in the form of bikes and I'd like to change that so that a riders brain will overcome any doubt and control his or her muscles to win-trick- their epic ride.

One key trait of the UNIT is it keeps the pivot-migration behind the BB thoughout the travel and this creates characteristic of being able to lift and manual the front end much easier then forward-single pivots or forward migrating linkage pivots. Like a latter dropped in front you, place the tips of you feet at the end of the latter and reach to pick up the latter so it pivots at the tips of your toes.. easy.. your feet stay on the ground and the latter pivots up as you only lift the weight. Now place the ends of your feet on the end of the latter while picking it up and now your simulating a forward pivot location.. the further forward it is the more you have to raise the BB to pick up the front end of the bike.. since you're standing on the BB you have to lift more of your own weight in order to Manual the front end.

Picking up the front end of the bike is a beautiful and misunderstood characteristic of suspension design. Without ****ting on other companies pure philosophies I have to inform my friends out there about why I've spent a gigantic amount of my life to create systems like the UNIT that create confidence in other people so they don't have to doubt their purchase over another riders purchase. This new system accelerates, brakes, and manuals the way I've always wanted it to and now it's a long road ahead to teach everyone whos interested that there is no mystery to suspension design.

You can win a world cup race on a single pivot. You can scrub on one, 360, frontflip... everything can be done on a single (Steve on Evil!)...same goes with linkage(Hill on Specialized).. the biggest difference between these two types of systems is your brain. My commitment to the new Corsair brand is making the riders brain stronger then the technology I'm creating and that's an informed relationship.

Keep the questions coming and I'm excited to answer

P
tl;dr what's the percent tacticality of the anti-squat curve? :rolleyes:

someday i'll drop it