Quantcast

cortina DH8 shock length?

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Can anyone tell me what length shock an Cortina DH8 uses?

The 5th element site says 9.5 x 3.0 - However a guy interested in buying a shock I have says he pulled off the RS that was on his bike, and it was 9.0 x 2.75.

Can the guy not measure, does he currently have the wrong shock, or is 5th element wrong??

Spunger

Git yer dumb questions here
Feb 19, 2003
I know Cortina had their DH8 and then avalanche had a modded DH8 to accept their shocks. They were the avy team bikes for a year or 2 maybe.

When that frame was first made I don't think there was much out in the 9.0x3.0 length (hence why they used the Bazooka and RS shocks) but I imagine there were 8.75/2.75 shocks out. If it hits me right I thought the frame was 8" of travel?

Too bad their site sucks for information.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
He currently has a 9 x 2.75 on it, i just measure it. No way the 9.5 x 3.00 fits. His buddy bought it however for an iron horse SGS or something?

I was pretty sure the 04 SGS took a 9.0 x 2,75 as well, but he insisted otherwise.

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
Spunger said:
I know Cortina had their DH8 and then avalanche had a modded DH8 to accept their shocks. They were the avy team bikes for a year or 2 maybe.

When that frame was first made I don't think there was much out in the 9.0x3.0 length (hence why they used the Bazooka and RS shocks) but I imagine there were 8.75/2.75 shocks out. If it hits me right I thought the frame was 8" of travel?

yeah when I bought mine it came with a 8.75x2.75 Fox RC...I upgraded to the Avy and it was 9x3.0...the frame was orginally designed around an 8.75 eye to eye though....that was almost 3 years ago so maybe the measurements have changed...D

Discostu

Monkey
Nov 15, 2003
A guy i know said he was running a 8.75x2.75 Risse shock on his Cortina, but now i look at the risse site and i only see 9.00x3.00 listed.

Nobody

Danforth Kitchen Whore
Sep 5, 2001
Toronto
god.. the things Google indexes... I was looking for a picture of the DH-Extreme 8 for my collection of 'things i used to know' and this thread pops up!

with BMXman's avatar as the image, no less!

lol.

time-bomb

Monkey
May 2, 2008
right here -> .

This is correct. Avy and Cortina had a team bike that ran a modified shock configuration that allowed the bike to get 9" of travel using a longer shock and stroke. The bike that was made for the consumer market ran a 8.75x2.75 and got 8" of travel. You might be able to fit a 9.0x2.75 on there but if you increase the i2i you will raise the BB height and steepen the HA on a bike that already has a crazy high BB height. BTW, the chainstay length is super long on those too. They are stable at high speeds and plow through rocks but the geometry is very very outdated by today's standards. The suspension was outstanding on that bike though, just heavy and hard to maneuver in the tight stuff.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK

Yeah, they used the avalanche MTN-3 shock, a bigger badder version of the DHS. Not even sure if these are used by anyone anymore.

Old old threads :D