Quantcast

Cortizone injections for tennis elbow?

Killerbarbies

Monkey
Sep 29, 2004
Slovakia
Basically, I've buggered up my right elbow building our local Shore and DH track and my doctor has prescribed a course of 4 cortizone injections into my elbow. What is the verdict on this course of treatment from sports doctors? Good? Bad? Waste of money?

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
I went ahead and tried cortisone injections in my knee...it's kind of an individual thing. Sometimes they work, sometimes they don't. Certain people will swear that they "solved" the problem and their elbow/knee/ankle never hurt again, while for some there is no difference. In my case, I got a shot into each side of my knee, directly into the bursas. It seemed to help lessent he pain I was feeling in one side of my knee, but not the other.

There is sooooo much debate over this topic in the healthcare field alone. I did some research before I went ahead and did it. At the point I was at, it was like...I have to try something.

Velocity Girl

whack-a-mole
Sep 12, 2001
Atlanta
I've had on the bunyons I used to have on my feet. They helped the relieve some of the swelling and pain, but due to the nature of my problem it was only time before it would become irritated again. I do remember the shots not being exactly pleasant either.....long needle :(

Boomer-61

Chimp
Jul 17, 2002
Atlanta, GA
I'm a PA in Orthopedics. I'd inject as a last resort. Look into the fore arm straps, many company make them. They strap onto the fore arm which decreases the stress accross the point of muscle attachment at elbow. I expect you were using a hammer and that is what brought this on. Also, if you can research some stretching exercises for the wrist extensors, this will help. You can try Advil or Nuprin as directed for short duration. This type of "itis" will usually burn itself out in time. On the side of injections, they have their limitations and side affects. I use them sparingly.
Good luck.

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
It really wasn't all that bad - at least I didn't think so. I was prepared for it to be MUCH worse.

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
I had 2 injections into my knee (one on each side) a long time ago and I had to have 2 injections into my jaw (TMJ) basically right where the center of your ear meets your face. They weren't pleasant...long, large needle, but I don't remember them hurting too bad. Both of my instances were successful, but were used more or less as a last resort (we'd exhausted some other methods). Good luck regardless of your choice.

jmvar

Monkey
Aug 16, 2002
"It was a funny angle!"
I would do more research and see how your feel after that. I had an injection in my shoulder and it felt 100% 3 days later. Messed it up snowboarding but it was nothing serious. Couple of months ago I started having pain in the same shoulder but it has since gone away. I think I was sleeping on it wrong, but it caused me to do some research into the shot i got. I have read about lots of negative long term effects from these shots.

pipefitter

Chimp
Jul 15, 2005
I had Tennis elbow in the beginning of this this bike season and it hurt like hell for a month. I thought I would not be able to ride for a good long time. It did subside after a while and I'm back to normal function but the only thing is, that I always still feel it and I know it is always there. The good thing is that the Godawful pain has gone.

daydreamer

Chimp
Jun 17, 2005
First, try some rehab - physio or massage . A good massage therapist can help a lot! (And no, I'm not one trying to advertise!) There are a couple of trigger points in muscles in the foream that can radiate pain to the elbow, and you may find that working on them is helpful. Due to the work with trailbuilding, it could be originating in forearm muscles as well as jarring and overuse at the elbow joint itself. I do some sports and work that can involve jarring and repetieive use to forearm muscles (like shoveling, raking, etc.) and sometimes get a very painful elbow. Massage, working on trigger points, and skin rolling, with judicious use of antiinflammatories has been very helpful.

Having said that, sometimes doing all the "right" things doesns't seem to help. I developed rotator cuff tendinitis a number of years ago from swimming, and after zero improvement for months, I gave in and got a single cortisone injection. It was extremely painful - but after several days the pain was completely gone. It seemed quite miraculous at the time. On occasion since then I have felt twinges in my shoulder, but massage, stretching and being smart about it has allowed me to pursue both serious training, and physical labor.