Quantcast

Cost of fork overhaul and seal kit?

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
So, a penguin drops his bike off to be looked at, since his fork is acting up. While it's being inspected, he walks down the street and stops at an ice cream place. It's a pretty hot day, and the ice cream is melting fast, so by the time he gets back to the bike shop he's got ice cream all over his face.

As he walks in, the mechanic looks up from the bike, smiles, and says, "Looks like you blew a seal".

"Nah," replies the penguin, "it's just ice cream."

pixelninja

Turbo Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
Denver, CO
stinkyboy said:
The parts would be back ordered for 8 weeks and they would try to sell me a Fox 36 and a Nomad frame.
I guess my shop rocks. They said my fork would be done by 5 pm on Thursday. The only thing they tried to sell me was their opinion on how cool my bike looked without any logos.

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
pixelninja said:
I guess my shop rocks. They said my fork would be done by 5 pm on Thursday. The only thing they tried to sell me was their opinion on how cool my bike looked without any logos.

can I ask what they charged? It's time for a tune-up on my 575, and having the TALAS overhauled is probably on the list.

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
pixelninja said:
I guess my shop rocks.[/IMG]
Usually mine does too, but the last couple months they've dropped the ball a couple times. The owner also told me ordering me a new frame "Wasn't worth the phone call" to sell me at cost even after buying 7 bikes from him in the last 14 months. WTF?!

pixelninja

Turbo Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
Denver, CO
jacksonpt said:
can I ask what they charged? It's time for a tune-up on my 575, and having the TALAS overhauled is probably on the list.
One leg was leaking oil, so it was definitely time for me to get an overhaul. They charge $16 for the seal kit and $65 to do the overhaul. They estimated around $85-90 after tax. I gladly gave them the ok, but I was just curious as to what other people pay for the same service.

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
I have been using my Marzocchi DJ2 '03 for about 2 years, maybe more since I bugh t it new. It seems to be working good, but should I get it overhauled soon?

pixelninja

Turbo Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
Denver, CO
I just got a call from the shop. Everything's done. Besides the rebuild, they tightened my bottom bracket (no charge), installed new grips that I'd brought in (no charge) and re-centered my front brake pads (no charge). $65 for labor + $20 for parts + tax on parts. I'll pick it up tonight.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
My lbs would charge $0 to rebuild a Fox because they don't sell them. My last fork rebuild cost me $20 for seals + $30 for springs. I changed them myself and gave them $5 for the oil I used.

Seems like you got a good deal though.

evilbob

Monkey
Mar 17, 2002
Everett, Wa
Only the shop price of the Kit. I work on my ownstuff then tell the shop what I did, then send others to the shop to have it done on there stuff. Helps keep my equipment cost down.:thumb: :sneaky: :evil:

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
My wife recently had her old bombers serviced, new springs and seals replaced. I noramlly service her forks but I didn't have any seals or new springs to hand funnily enough.

Cost NZ$90. They're like new now.

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
pixelninja said:
I just got a call from the shop. Everything's done. Besides the rebuild, they tightened my bottom bracket (no charge), installed new grips that I'd brought in (no charge) and re-centered my front brake pads (no charge). $65 for labor + $20 for parts + tax on parts. I'll pick it up tonight.
i love my lbs too, last time i bought a bike from them they threw in a free pedicure too. Nothing is more relaxing before trying out a new bike.

J

JRB

Changleen said:
My wife recently had her old bombers serviced, new springs and seals replaced. I noramlly service her forks but I didn't have any seals or new springs to hand funnily enough.

Cost NZ$90. They're like new now.

What's that??? Like 3 dollars???

evilbob

Monkey
Mar 17, 2002
Everett, Wa
Skookum said:
i love my lbs too, last time i bought a bike from them they threw in a free pedicure too. Nothing is more relaxing before trying out a new bike.
That must have been Center then cause if it was the BW I don't think you would be getting a pedicure from Lumbi :nonono:

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
pixelninja said:
$78 + NYS sales tax on the whole amount (8%)....

pixelninja

Turbo Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
Denver, CO
jdcamb said:
$78 + NYS sales tax on the whole amount (8%)....
Cool. That comes out almost even since my shop is charging tax on parts only, not labor. Tax here is around 8% too, so my bill should be around $87.

R

richcreek

my shop is cool to. i got all of my bikes from them and they keep giving me good deals to. i just got my 06 stumpjumper from then for somthing like $1400 then they took off $300 trade in for my old hardrock pro disc. so i only really paid like $1100 they didn't even charge me tax!

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
loco said:
What's that??? Like 3 dollars???
Pretty much.

The US dollar has been heading down recently, but so has the Kiwi dollar. NZ$90 = US$57.94 as of now. A touch under two thirds of the value.

J

JRB

Changleen said:
Pretty much.

The US dollar has been heading down recently, but so has the Kiwi dollar. NZ$90 = US$57.94 as of now. A touch under two thirds of the value.
meh - currency exchange rates make my head throb.

Reactor

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2005
Chandler, AZ, USA
stinkyboy said:
Usually mine does too, but the last couple months they've dropped the ball a couple times. The owner also told me ordering me a new frame "Wasn't worth the phone call" to sell me at cost even after buying 7 bikes from him in the last 14 months. WTF?!
I was trying to buy a $800 custom wheel set and they (SP) wouldn't even return an E-mail.

I'm sticking with SMC.