Quantcast

Costa Rica: DH Experience?

jason3559

Chimp
Jun 21, 2004
New England
My wife and I are heading to CR this winter for 13 days. During out planning, we stumbled across potential MTB options. It would be great to get some testimonials about the riding, experience with guide companies, the terrain, and anything else you might have experienced. We plan on taking in more DH type of trails.

Anyone with experience riding in CR?

Mulestar

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2007
in the dirt
www.crfrdh.com. Email Carlos, he might be able to point you in the right direction or he may chime in on here.

Depending on where you are, the riding could be pretty good, or non-existent. It's a small country but it can take forever to get some places so keep that in mind. I think the more populated central valley has more riders and developed trails. Wish I could help more, but I blew up my shoulder on gravel road a few days after I got there, so I didn't actually end up riding very much.

As for the terrain, I would expect it to be steep and located in crazy jungle in which most things are covered in thorns or poison. Seriously. I've never been pricked and stung by so much sh1t in my life as I did working in the jungle down there.

Last edited:

mtg

Green with Envy
Sep 21, 2009
Denver, CO
What Mulestar said. I know a few of the Costa Rican DH guys (Carlos and a few others have raced the Final Descent with my friends and I the past two years), and they are super cool guys, Carlos owns a pretty nice shop in CR, and their trails look SICK.
If we can find the time, we're wanting to take a team trip down there for a race or two- they recently built a new race track on their west coast (I believe) that's just about next to the beach. Race weekends include surfing....

Carlos' shop: http://www.ciclonbikeshop.net/

Sam B

Monkey
Nov 25, 2001
Cascadia
Send me an email and I can fill you in more on what we rode. Super fun time, only rode the first few days, but I was surprised by how good the riding was. Well worth bringing our bikes for! Especially coming from February in the PNW.

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
I'm headed down on Feb 18th. Never been before, but we're going with a guide outfit. Big Mountain Adventures. I'm really looking forward to it.

jayjay22

Chimp
Nov 8, 2006
Vancouver
I'm heading back for my 2nd tour with Paulo and Big Mountain Adventures. Had so much fun last year decided to do it again. great trails and good people. it's a great winter break for DH riders.

samdemo

Chimp
Aug 8, 2007
I've been twice with Paulo and Big mtn and would likely go again sometime in the future. The wife and I still feel it is one of the best vacations we've ever done. Our Mtb trips were 8-9 days of riding and we were pretty beat up at the end of it. Then we would spend another 10 or so days traveling around. Next time I go, it will likely be 5 days of mtb, 5 days of moto and 10 days of traveling.

Paulo is a seriously awesome guy and can pin it on a bike. I see they have gone to a smaller group size for the Big mtn trips. They also do custom trips.

Cerro de la Muerte(Mountain of Death) is a must do.....so fun. We did three runs of it in one day and wow were we done.

Sam B

Monkey
Nov 25, 2001
Cascadia
Cerro de la Muerte(Mountain of Death) is a must do.....so fun. We did three runs of it in one day and wow were we done.
Was that out of a small town down a gravel road off the PanAm highway? Providencia... pretty much just some houses, a mini mart and a bar/restaurant.

CRFRDH

Chimp
Jul 23, 2009
Costa Rica, Heredia
Well...sorry I didn't see one before.... :) but yes, check out our website if you want to know more about the costarican scene....Mulestar, yeah...that side of the country is pure jungle and full of any kind of sting bugs...jajajajaja....shame we never got the time to meet for a ride....MTG, yes, Carlos Castillo is a very good friend of mine, actually I along with him organize the national cup over here....

Anyhow....if you guys ever downhere, hit us up a email and we will try to help you in whatever we can... :)

If you want to know more on the CR Scene...check our video channel or our FB page too...

www.crfreeridedownhill.com....