Quantcast

costom Ti FR bike

aggrorider

Monkey
Sep 20, 2005
Bring you wallet. Looks like a klein idea also. Plus I am not sure about aggresive freeriding on that.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
The sad part is that it's only half titanium. Full titanium suspension bikes are extremely rare.

TheMontashu

Pourly Tatteued Jeu
Mar 15, 2004
I'm homeless
Rik said:
What makes titanium special for a dual suspension bike?
It's as bad as cromo duallies that have "real steel feel" :rolleyes:
Its tie because it is all costom geo and that would be to hard for them to do in an AL bike, as well its lighter than steel

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
Not really sure what all the whinging is about. Ti will make it strong and light. Maybe the price tag isn't your cup of tea, but I'm willing to bet is a pretty solid ride. The shorter travel bikes based on the Maverick rear were great. Seven has some of the best craftsmen in the business. I'm pretty sure this will compete well with long travel trail bikes (not freeride) like the Id.

TheMontashu

Pourly Tatteued Jeu
Mar 15, 2004
I'm homeless
CreeP said:
it's because titanium is what they do at seven. :rolleyes:
Ti also does a full carbon bike and steel as well as a cromo carbon and ti carbon mix. So ti is not necisaraly "what they do" at seven, although the bulk of what they do if for the reasons i stated above

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes

ok, whatever, it's a urt with another pivot. Or an I drive with no dogbone. It's a half urt. A HURT.

Proprietary shocks are dumb anyways.

zedro

Turbo Monkey
Sep 14, 2001
at the end of the longest line
Rik said:
Especially ones that do things that shocks aren't really meant to do, such as taking twisting and side loading.
dont worry, it's not a shock, but rather a STRUT. Cars have 'em, planes have em.....uhh your FORK is basically one. Struts are designed to take such loading, thats why the arent coil-overs.

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
It's got seven pieces of flair!!

"Freeride flair," to be exact. They should call it the "Tschotschke!"

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
TheMontashu said:
Its tie because it is all costom geo and that would be to hard for them to do in an AL bike, as well its lighter than steel
Yeah, because welding Ti is so much easier than welding Al...

bigdrop05

Monkey
Mar 26, 2005
Doesn't the Santa Cruz Heckler weigh 6.5# for much less !

Well, the SEVEN is another option for the high-rollas....

Rik

Turbo Monkey
Nov 6, 2001
Sydney, Australia
zedro said:
dont worry, it's not a shock, but rather a STRUT. Cars have 'em, planes have em.....uhh your FORK is basically one. Struts are designed to take such loading, thats why the arent coil-overs.
True, I thought about that but I'm sure the rear end would experience alot more hell than a fork ever would, and secondly a strut in the applications mentioned can take such loads, but given the design constraints of a bicycle (weight + cost being major factors), would anything have been compromised in the design that could lead to durability/longevity issues?
Thirdly, as mentioned... regardless of the above (I'm probably wrong anyway) proprietry parts = :nopity:

zedro

Turbo Monkey
Sep 14, 2001
at the end of the longest line
Rik said:
True, I thought about that but I'm sure the rear end would experience alot more hell than a fork ever would, and secondly a strut in the applications mentioned can take such loads, but given the design constraints of a bicycle (weight + cost being major factors), would anything have been compromised in the design that could lead to durability/longevity issues?
Thirdly, as mentioned... regardless of the above (I'm probably wrong anyway) proprietry parts = :nopity:
well just look at the lefty, and just think of all of the front line work the fork has to do. In this case the strut is handeling the longitudinal forces almost exclusively; the lower linkage handles most of the lateral. But its all pretty moot since the bike is only built for a certain level of abuse, but a properly designed strut would work fine in a DH application even

And since the strut is a structural member, i wouldnt even call it proprietary part. It would be like complaining the rear swingarm is proprietary too

DHS

Friendly Neighborhood Pool Boy
Apr 23, 2002
Sand, CA
ive seen 2 of the seven's in person. sure looked cool. both times the owners were morans, no idea what they were doing.
i HATE that suspension design. having your bb on the swing arm, F-that

klunky

Turbo Monkey
Oct 17, 2003
Scotland
Those bikes actually ride really nice (well the klein version I rode did). I think the rear axle path is supposed to be similar to the front.
Its designed by Paul Turner.
In reviews it has been stated that it is the best climbing bike out there.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Sandwich said:
ok, whatever, it's a urt with another pivot. Or an I drive with no dogbone. It's a half urt. A HURT.
Um yeah and you know like a DW link is just like a single pivot with more pivots... :rolleyes:

No soup for you!!

Tashi

Monkey
Mar 6, 2003
Jm_ said:
The sad part is that it's only half titanium. Full titanium suspension bikes are extremely rare.
I think that that's 'cause of the flexiness of ti. I don't think that many susmension designs function too well if the parts are flexing, so it's not a great choice for the rear end of a suspension bike that has any pivots.

For all the haters out there: Anyone I know who's ridden and/or owned a Maverick fork or frame (like the Klein mentioned or this Seven) loves 'em, even the ones that have the bike skills to match their pocketbooks.

But hey, I guess it looks bad in comparison to all the carbon-copy Al bikes out there. :rolleyes:

DHS

Friendly Neighborhood Pool Boy
Apr 23, 2002
Sand, CA
binary visions said:
...aannd the BB is still not on the swingarm. Ain't nothing you or anyone else can say that's gonna change it :p
still apart of it and moves. i don't want my feet moving with the swing arm, if i wanted a hard tail i'd buy one.

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
zedro said:
how will i reach you inside that box?
Ever tried to get parts or service in Australia?

Just a matter of priorities for different places/people. Good on Maverick for doing something new, IMHO...but no way I'd own one unless I lived in the US or Canada, preferably the Western part.

Then again, I wonder if it'd really be that hard to get the innards of the strut revalved or rebuilt in Oz...lots of smart folks doing suspension tuning down there, no? Are the parts compatible with the standard Fox Vanilla parts?

MD

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
So does the front triangle use straight gage or butted tubing? Why not use Ti 6-4 instead of Ti 3-2.5 it's just more money?

Bikes like this are for guys who work too much and ride too little anyway, I could care less where the BB is or who is going to service the shock.

klunky

Turbo Monkey
Oct 17, 2003
Scotland
The shock is produced by fox. Ay fox service dealer can tune/fix the unit.

Its no harder to get worked on than a DHX or Vanilla

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
I always liked the idea of the Litespeed Kitsuma, myself...maybe the geometry could have used a tweak or two...but a Ti hardtail would be cool for FR stuff.

MD

TheMontashu

Pourly Tatteued Jeu
Mar 15, 2004
I'm homeless
klunky said:
Those bikes actually ride really nice (well the klein version I rode did). I think the rear axle path is supposed to be similar to the front.
Its designed by Paul Turner.
In reviews it has been stated that it is the best climbing bike out there.
I have riddin around the klien on a trail as well as a mavrick. I have bounced around in a parking lot on a duo and a duo-lux (and 5 or 6 othern7s) for that matter.
Paul Turner owns maverick, the idea behind the linkage I think is realy cool

dexter

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Boise, Idaho
everyone whos hating on the suspension design is smoking crack. my dad has a maveric with the maveric fork and that bike is a goat and the fork feels a lot like my old dorado. when you point that bike downhill it just plain rips like a freeride bike (and this is the 4inch one)