Quantcast

Countdown to iPhone 2.0

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
sydandnancy need not post in this thread...

http://money.cnn.com/2008/03/28/magazines/fortune/tech/moritz_iPhone.fortune/index.htm

Apple is gearing up for a big bump in sales of the next generation iPhone, if new production plans are any guide.

The plans show the faster iPhone will be rolling off the assembly line this summer. The initial order calls for 11 million iPhones to be built this year, with that total split between the existing 2.5G phone and the upgraded 3G phone, according to people familiar with the plan.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
This is really old news N8. Why they hell did they make it bigger, it was already too big. Its a iPhone not an iPDA :busted:

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
It's got real GPS too. That's looking like about as nice a smartphone as exists right now. Lack of buttons is still a pain, but damn there's a lot of functionality built in there.

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
Hell yes! on the 11th, BYE BYE VERIZON! I've been wanting to get rid of them forever, but never had a good enough reason.

iPhone 3g + Mobile Me (stupid name, GREAT features) here I come!

Being an independent contractor/small business owner, I have been looking for a good way to keep all my stuff in sync, my MacBook Pro, Mac Pro, and Blackberry, and it just doesn't exist. This looks like the answer!

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
It's got real GPS too.
Its the same GPS functionality that all modern cellphones are equipped and mandated by law. Its, not a like GPS receiver with a SiRF chipset (tomtom, garmin etc...)

[url=http://www.engadgetmobile.com/2008/06/09/iphone-3g-is-finally-official/]engadget[/url] said:
Apple is using A-GPS, which supplements regular satellite GPS data with info from cellular towers
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AGPS

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Last edited:

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Ahh, thanks for the info. That's a lot less useful to me.
Well Tomtom will make a GPS app for the iPhone but like the existing aGPS devices it won't be quite as accurate as stand alone GPS and you'll pay for it.

This is the current aGPS service most providers offer:

http://www.telenav.com/products/tn/pricing.html

Its about $10 a month to access the aGPS chip you already have by law with some clunky software :plthumbsdown: The cell providers don't let you access even if you have a third party software. You would already be paying at least $70 a month for the iPhone with the most basic calling plan with data.

Its still annoying even if the TomTom iPhone service has better software (not as good as Garmin IMHO for standalone) and I bet they'll try to tack on TomTom Plus service charges (or just charge more) if you want traffic and other Internet based data services some GPS have (some Tomtom, Dash, and some Garmin units)

You can buy a better stand alone GPS online for $200 and it usually comes with 1 map update - so that is already $40 cheaper after two years and you can still use.

If aGPS access is free then its pretty cool for someone who only occasionally uses GPS - it would be a good change for all cellphone users as almost all cellphones have aGPS for e911 compliance.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
You can buy a better stand alone GPS online for $200 and it usually comes with 1 map update - so that is already $40 cheaper after two years and you can still use.
I don't want to carry another device. Wonder if some smart company will make a SIRF dongle for the iPhone/iPod Touch?

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
I don't want to carry another device. Wonder if some smart company will make a SIRF dongle for the iPhone/iPod Touch?
Most people keep their standalone GPS in the car.

If you are using your iPhone for everything you are screwed - no way to swap the battery when it runs down.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Most people keep their standalone GPS in the car.

If you are using your iPhone for everything you are screwed - no way to swap the battery when it runs down.
Thanks, but I promise you I'm grown up and smart enough to figure out where I do and do not want to keep my electronic devices, and how to maintain appropriate battery levels on rechargeable items.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Thanks, but I promise you I'm grown up and smart enough to figure out where I do and do not want to keep my electronic devices, and how to maintain appropriate battery levels on rechargeable items.
What about when your SO wants to borrow the GPS - you can't. You'll instead buy two iPhones with two GPS app purchases from the Apple store and you'll each pay $10 a month to use it even though most of the time only one of you will need it. $160 a month ATT fees minimum (cheapest call plan $39.95, unlimited data $30, GPS $10 per phone) for your household plus buying the apps seems much more reasonable than buying a standalone GPS for $200 with no additional fees. You could lend your friend your GPS for a trip (my grandparents lend theirs to local family and friends), are you going to lend you all in one smartphone which does everything to your friend...

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Seriously, I understand the general problems inherent in a device like that.

Jumping from have a GPS tied into your phone to buying two iPhones and racking up $160/month in fees is ridiculous, though. What makes you think that any reasonable person would solve the problem of my girlfriend borrowing a GPS with a second $2-300 iPhone and another $80/month? In any event, the dongle would negate that need for an extra $10/month (or $20 if you're assuming I'm ridiculous enough to buy a second iPhone so we can share a GPS).

This is really simple: I basically have two devices I'd carry with regularity. A phone (when I get one again) and an MP3 player. A GPS would be a third device I would like to add.

If I can tie those things into carrying one device, that simplifies my life. I can't lend my MP3 player out in that case either, but guess what? I'm not a rent-a-gadget service. If someone wants a GPS they can buy one or find someone else to borrow it from; the world won't come crashing down.

Last edited:

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
What about the video his Steveness showed where they were being tracked in Google Maps? AT&T is the one carrier that does NOT charge extra to access the GPS in a device. I know lots of people with Blackberrys that they use the GPS in Google Maps, and don't pay extra.

True, it is probably not going to be as accurate as my Garmin Nuvi, but if I am in someone else's car and we get lost, it will definitely help!

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
i'm definitely getting a 3G iPhone when the girl's sprint contract runs out in december. she'll inherit my OG iPhone for free and i'll migrate to the new one -- win-win. neither of us has a standalone (or built-in) navi system, btw, and weren't planning on getting one imminently given my impression of general suckitude of interface and vendor lock-in, so the GPS features are a nice bonus.

ridiculous

Turbo Monkey
Jan 18, 2005
MD / NoVA
Hell yes! on the 11th, BYE BYE VERIZON! I've been wanting to get rid of them forever, but never had a good enough reason.

iPhone 3g + Mobile Me (stupid name, GREAT features) here I come!

Being an independent contractor/small business owner, I have been looking for a good way to keep all my stuff in sync, my MacBook Pro, Mac Pro, and Blackberry, and it just doesn't exist. This looks like the answer!
There has to be, Steve Jobs carries a BB.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
What about the video his Steveness showed where they were being tracked in Google Maps? AT&T is the one carrier that does NOT charge extra to access the GPS in a device. I know lots of people with Blackberrys that they use the GPS in Google Maps, and don't pay extra.
The GPS-like feature in current google maps is only accurate to 500-5000m (it guesses your location via cell tower, no GPS technology involved), its not for GPS automotive navigation. Its only slightly more useful than iPhone 1.0 Wifi triangulation.

ATT charges $10 per month (or $3 per day) as I linked the company that providers the service for all the major providers - they are no different. It also requires a data plan or you will be billed even more. ATT's site reflect this:

http://www.wireless.att.com/source/uconnect/navigator/rules_popup.aspx

Last edited:

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
The GPS-like feature in current google maps is only accurate to 500-5000m (it guesses your location via cell tower, no GPS technology involved), its not for GPS automotive navigation. Its only slightly more useful than iPhone 1.0 Wifi triangulation.

ATT charges $10 per month (or $3 per day) as I linked the company that providers the service for all the major providers - they are no different. It also requires a data plan or you will be billed even more. ATT's site reflect this:

http://www.wireless.att.com/source/uconnect/navigator/rules_popup.aspx

Did you see the Stevenote? He showed it tracking his car down a street. I know it won't be as accurate as that, but even if it's close, it'll still be good

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
BigMike said:
Did you see the Stevenote? He showed it tracking his car down a street. I know it won't be as accurate as that, but even if it's close, it'll still be good
As the links I posted show, phones with aGPS and the proper software work fine as automotive GPS and are current services offered by all the major carriers. It cost $10 a month on most US carriers. aGPS cell phones with GPS software have been out for years. aGPS is not the same as GPS-like Wifi or cell tower only triangulation which has really crappy accuracy.

Its a simple progression - a me too for the iPhone.

Last edited:

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
Ruh Roh George

Apple's SDK agreement:

Applications may not be designed or marketed for real time route guidance; automatic or autonomous control of vehicles, aircraft, or other mechanical devices; dispatch or fleet management; or emergency or life-saving purposes.
Link

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
I doubt Tomtom dumped a ton of money into their iPhone software without an agreement with Apple. There are plenty of existing aGPS phones with auto navigation functionality, so I see this more to prevent small third party developers from do anything without special agreements for legal purposes.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
The Blackberry Bold is scheduled to be available on Sprint in September.
she's used my iPhone over the past year. she likes it, and will be happy with it. i would love to have an excuse to upgrade to the new one and further support the cult of Jobs. why again would i look at a blackberry that'd require 3rd party software (missing sync) to sync with her macbook and my mac mini?

the iPhone works for me.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
This is what the iPhone should originally have been, and it's what I want in a smartphone.

I'll be getting an 8gb one when my T-Mobile contract runs out in the fall.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Jesus Christ, Toshi, that puts some friggin' perspective on owning a cell phone.

Maybe I'll stick to not having one. Two grand is a lot of coin. And a good smartphone is really the only reason I'd want a cell phone.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
two grand over two years isn't bad. step back for a sec and think of how much you're spending on food, housing, your CAR (huuuuuuuge expense, see below) over that same period.

from the AAA, latest/2007 figures: