Quantcast

Countertop p0rn!

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
Lot 22

The kitchen is coming together nicely... GE Profile appliances to come this Fri..

2_cm St. Cecilia Granite w/square edges ($2885)

60/40 Sink ($220)

Fireplace P0rn

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
When I got to the house at noon the installers were leaving to go to the hospital... one of the dudes sliced his finger and needed to get some stiches... :dead:

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
douglas said:
whats the deal w/the cabinet coloring? especially the sides (like where the frig/dw will go)
That will be covered with the backsplash tile... where the frig goes needs to be given a final coat.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
I'm actually amazed they still let people use granite counter tops in their homes. It's always so porous and people think they can cut chicken on it. I think it's dangerous.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
if someone wants to use a rock as a cutting board, they're not the brightest bulb in the socket.

why do you think it's dangerous? what's the household accident rate for granite countertops?

Tenchiro

Attention K Mart Shoppers
Jul 19, 2002
New England
stosh said:
I'm actually amazed they still let people use granite counter tops in their homes. It's always so porous and people think they can cut chicken on it. I think it's dangerous.
Dangerous and ugly. :dead:

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
narlus said:
if someone wants to use a rock as a cutting board, they're not the brightest bulb in the socket.

why do you think it's dangerous? what's the household accident rate for granite countertops?
I'm saying you can't clean it well because it's porous and people try to cut on it because it's stone thus transfering germs and bacteria.

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
stosh said:
I'm saying you can't clean it well because it's porous and people try to cut on it because it's stone thus transfering germs and bacteria.

Not only that but you have to seal it every couple years or so.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
stosh said:
so do these people also try to cut chicken their soapstone/concrete/laminate/corian counter too?

because if they do, the counter's gonna get F'd up fast.

you can seal granite very easily. it's not rocket science. it's nice to have natural surfaces, imo...corian just doesn't cut it for me.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
narlus said:
so do these people also try to cut chicken their soapstone/concrete/laminate/corian counter too?

because if they do, the counter's gonna get F'd up fast.

you can seal granite very easily. it's not rocket science. it's nice to have natural surfaces, imo...corian just doesn't cut it for me.
My friend just build his house with concrete countertops = :drool:

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
N8 said:
nice.. not cheap and hard to find someone who knows what they are doing but nice.
My friend and his dad built them according to some dudes book. They came out good but could have been a touch nicer. They are still sweet!

I've always liked the look of a sealed steel (not stainless) countertop. I like it because you get a slighly oxidized look to the steel.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
DRB said:
Concrete is safer than Granite? And easier to maintain than Granite?
Don't know, if you use a fine enough aggrigate with a high strength mix you can get an amost glass like surface.

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
DRB said:
Concrete is safer than Granite? And easier to maintain than Granite?
No. It is pretty porous. You'd have to seal the crap out if it.

You can look at Zodiac... it is a manmade 'stone' material.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
N8 said:
No. It is pretty porous. You'd have to seal the crap out if it.

You can look at Zodiac... it is a manmade 'stone' material.
True, he did seal the crap out of his.

Morryjg

Mr. Ho Jangles
May 9, 2003
Littleton
What's with the baby blue. ewwwwwwwwww. Are you going to get a nice country ducks & bunnies wallpaper border to put in there too?

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
Morryjg said:
What's with the baby blue. ewwwwwwwwww. Are you going to get a nice country ducks & bunnies wallpaper border to put in there too?

Some people swear by Zodiac... until they price it out.

FWIT, that granite cost me $38/sf installed.

Morryjg

Mr. Ho Jangles
May 9, 2003
Littleton
N8 said:
Should have painted it builder beige..?

:p
Touche'

That blue just doesn't do it though. There will be someone that thinks it's awesome though. Hopefully, they will pay you way too much for the house and be happy about doing so! :p

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
Morryjg said:
Touche'

That blue just doesn't do it though. There will be someone that thinks it's awesome though. Hopefully, they will pay you way too much for the house and be happy about doing so! :p

Well, we'll know in 2 weeks when it goes on the market.

But honestly, it isn't going to be a problem. I market my homes to the younger buyer who's willing to think outside the box and doesn't want their parents nor grandparents house.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
N8 said:
But honestly, it isn't going to be a problem. I market my homes to the younger buyer who's willing to think outside the box and doesn't want their parents nor grandparents house.
because crown moldings are so modernistic.

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
narlus said:
so much for 'thinking outside the box'

:dead:

meh.. whatever.

Tell you what Mr. Critic, let's put $200,000 of your money at risk over whether or not crown moulding will make or break a sale....

I'm game; you?

You fund it, I'll build it to your spec's, you make bank if it sells....

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
i'm not the one making claims as to my perceived market and their 'it's not your father's house' crap. wouldn't canvas be a preference for louisianians?

BillT

Monkey
Anyone who is cutting on granite (or concrete for that matter) instead of a cutting board has no regard for their knives.

Any reason besides price for the square edge to the countertop? I always thought that anything - bevel, bullnose, waterfall - looked better than square edge.

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
BillT said:
Anyone who is cutting on granite (or concrete for that matter) instead of a cutting board has no regard for their knives.

Any reason besides price for the square edge to the countertop? I always thought that anything - bevel, bullnose, waterfall - looked better than square edge.
It's $2/sf more for the other edge finishes but I really like the square. I used a half bull last time though.