Quantcast

Couple iMac quirks

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
Issues, whatever with my fancy new to me iMac:

A) Seems the superdrive (just a DVD/CDRW) is really sensitive to a dirty/somewhat used DVD video disc (like most of what comes from Netflix)...sometimes it won't even read the disc and it will spit it back out, other times it will give me a read error after trying to play it. Is this common with Superdrives, or maybe the lense in it needs cleaning?

B) Flash Player runs like crap...any videos I watch in Flash (Ala Youtube, GV, etc) skip every few seconds. Once again, commonplace, or do I just need more power? Is there a ghetto fix?

Aside from that, I'm pleased to report that I'm as happy as a clam...

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
My 2 super drives work fine. I'm guessing the older models were crummier though? Try blowing it out or something with compressed air or a bike pump.

As for flash player...flash is the devil and requires an inordinate amount of power to play silly little animations. Probably just not enough power.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
You might try seeing if their are firmware upgrades for the drives - there are often fixes for improved media compatibility. I've never tried to upgrade the optical drive firmware on a mac though (probably done at the factory via dos console). They make CDs with a little brush built-in for cleaning off the optical lens on CD players you can buy if you think its dirty.

I know there are some forums were people do all sorts of hardware upgrades to their minis and iMacs - you could probably buy a better drive at newegg for cheap.

I upgraded my mini to 1GB and a 7200 RPM 2.5" drive - it was a b#tch with getting the case off (two paint scrapers required), removing wifi/bt antennas, removing the optical drive, some fan, and tons of jeweler sized screws before I could change out the HDD and put it back together.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
No Firmware. Cleaning didn't help. I was going to buy a DVD burner for this anyway, so no harm.

On the Flash, I DLed Firefox 2 to see if it would be any faster than Safari...Holy crap. Yes. <3. No more skipping, and I can browse the web much faster now. I thought Safari was the pwn for Macs because it was designed for Macs? So much for that logic.

Reactor

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2005
Chandler, AZ, USA
No Firmware. Cleaning didn't help. I was going to buy a DVD burner for this anyway, so no harm.

On the Flash, I DLed Firefox 2 to see if it would be any faster than Safari...Holy crap. Yes. <3. No more skipping, and I can browse the web much faster now. I thought Safari was the pwn for Macs because it was designed for Macs? So much for that logic.
That's really wierd. I have no problems with safari or firefox. I might contact apple support if I were you. If it's a new mac I think you get 30 deay support for free and 1 year on hardware.

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
I put a Pioneer Superdrive into my G4 tower and it worked freaking great until I accidentally busted the cup holder off with my knee (don't ask) so I go back to the mom and pop computer store and the guy sells me a slightly used one and I throw that in and from then on it would error when writing the lead out on a DVD...