Quantcast

Couple of more pics from Korea

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Made my last trip to Korea (for work) at the end of Oct. and managed to climb Mt. Seorak (seoraksan) at the end of the nice foliage season. Was a good day hike...sea level to 1700m. Luckily I ended the hike at a spa...no pics of all the naked Korean men, sorry N8.

Cool time. Definitely out of the easy-travel comfort zone, esp. with the language, but Korea's so safe and orderly that it's not really a big deal.

And heading back to Incheon airport...

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Thanks, dudes. Glad you like them.

Also astonished to see a one-word post from Skookum...

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
Stop bringing it up then! People just get curious. "Honestly, I can't understand you fascination with my closet of forbidden secrets!"

Really nice photos though. What was the trail like?

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Changleen said:
Stop bringing it up then! People just get curious. "Honestly, I can't understand you fascination with my closet of forbidden secrets!"

Really nice photos though. What was the trail like?
Chang, I only mentioned it to Hooples because he helped me cover my tracks when I was erasing all that, sorry...you're right.

The trail was pretty much 100% pointy rocks of all sizes, and some metal ladder-bridges that were hung off of the sides of gorges... without them, it would have been a seriously technical ascent along the route. (There may have been a more traditional way up before all that stuff was built...)

I was wearing pretty flimsy hiking boots...would have been nice to have had serious stiff-soled footwear, or my trailrunning shoes with the skidplate in the middle. Also would have been better to have crampons, because it got very very icy at the top, with ice and mud packed together inbetween rock steps, making it a slick snow-cone to ascend. Trekking poles would have been useful, too. Although I always laughed at the hordes of nattily-attired Koreans picking around the flat trails at the base with two trekking poles...and marvelled at some seriously bent 90-year old women skipping along at the top, wearing nothing but light clothes and carrying an old stick for some support.

Tons of Buddhist temples and shrines (amitaba buddhism) in the area and along the trails. Maybe I can get some more pics up of the cultural stuff.

MD

E

enkidu

Beautiful combination of pointy rocks and brilliant leaves! I would love to see your pics of Buddhist temples and shrines. (Did you coat yourself with the incense as you approached the holy precincts?)