Quantcast

couple of questions about Beech champs weekend

So I have some questions about the weekend.

1. What is Beechs schedule for Wednesday? Will the mountain/lifts be open for practice? I know the USAC schedule is practice Thursday so I am not asking that.

2. Can anyone come up and race, or do you have to qualified? A guy at my shop would really like to try the slalom.

3. What hotels have discounts for us? I usually stay at the four seasons and they usually give us a bit of a discount for race weekends.

Thanks

motomike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 19, 2005
North Carolina
So I have some questions about the weekend.

1. What is Beechs schedule for Wednesday? Will the mountain/lifts be open for practice? I know the USAC schedule is practice Thursday so I am not asking that.

2. Can anyone come up and race, or do you have to qualified? A guy at my shop would really like to try the slalom.

3. What hotels have discounts for us? I usually stay at the four seasons and they usually give us a bit of a discount for race weekends.

Thanks
1. The race is run by USAC, so practice starts thursday.

2. Yes you must be qualified to race nationals.

beechmtndh

Monkey
Jun 5, 2010
You must qualify to race DH. You do not have to qualify for Slalom since you must qualify at the even to make it in the main bracket.
You do need to qualify at a qualifying race in order to be able to attempt to qualify at the national championships. The dual slalom we had in march served as the first qualifier in the area.

bmbass

Chimp
Sep 20, 2010
Hippyville, NC
For Cat 2/3, it's looking like Thursday and Friday are the only days we'd be allowed to ride DH, or am I missing something?

Either way if that's it, I understand. Just checking though.

MTB_Rob_NC

What do I have to do to get you in this car TODAY?
Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
Can someone break this down for the less than experience racer? I am on the list as a qualified in Cat 2 35-39
http://www.usacycling.org/events/2012/mtbnationals/qual_list.php?disc=DH&sex=M&cat=02&age=35-39

So my real goal is to get in as much lift assisted DH as possible at Beech, so what do I need to know? Practice is on Thursday? Is that open Practice? What about Friday? When is the actual race and when do I have to do what in order to get into the actual race? What do I need to do about a license for THIS race?

Oh and if anyone knows of a rental property on/or within walking distance of the mountain that is nice (ie… has amenities that my wife won’t mind hanging out in for a few days while I ride) please let me know.

MTB_Rob_NC

Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
You sir are a wealth of knowledge thank you

Hey Rob, looks like you get to practice from 12:15 to 6pm on Thursday(that is pretty solid!).
Agreed

Friday morning, you get an hour practice from 8am to 9am(only cat 2+3 so the lift line shouldn't be too bad), then be at the top of the mountain by 9:15 for your race run.
Perfect makes sense to me.

So now that Mike has cleared that up. Who wants to go riding Friday afternoon some where other than Beech? :thumb:

motobutane

Monkey
Apr 27, 2010
WNC
So now that Mike has cleared that up. Who wants to go riding Friday afternoon some where other than Beech? :thumb:
Just sad there is no where to ride, all this great terrain and most/all the DH riders have to drive out of state to ride:mad:.....rant over!

MTB_Rob_NC

Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
Just sad there is no where to ride, all this great terrain and most/all the DH riders have to drive out of state to ride:mad:.....rant over!
Huh? I was being serious. I am assuming I will be done by noon, but may want to hit up one of the following:
Beech municpal trails - Not sure what will be open or closed due to the race, but those are the closest.
Rocky Knob just outside of Boone
Wilson Creek - I know plenty of shuttleable options, but do not own a truck
Sugar - I dont think it is open on Fridays

motomike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 19, 2005
North Carolina
Huh? I was being serious. I am assuming I will be done by noon, but may want to hit up one of the following:
Beech municpal trails - Not sure what will be open or closed due to the race, but those are the closest.
Rocky Knob just outside of Boone
Wilson Creek - I know plenty of shuttleable options, but do not own a truck
Sugar - I dont think it is open on Fridays
All good ideas for places to ride. The Beech XC trails (called the Emerald Outback) are unaffected by the race because they are not on the resort property. Also if you are into technical, tight singletrack, the LMC XC trails in Banner Elk are fun.

mbrennan

Monkey
Jan 25, 2011
the land of oz is at beech you may be confused ;)
thanks I will check it out when I get there seems like I got stuck at the guardhouse last time I tried. My leg should be 99% for the beech race so hopefully I will get to try then

joc

Chimp
Apr 16, 2012

No..Practice starts Thursday afternoon. You will get alot of DS practice and also that hill sticks pushing your bike back up.
yeah, I pushed up it a bunch last month - we are going to be up there anyway and hoping to ride on something

Sugar_brad

Monkey
Jun 20, 2009
The grass was super tall to the point where you couldn't see the ground. Maybe someone mowed it but I doubt it.

motomike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 19, 2005
North Carolina
This. :( The coach doesn't give a **** about gravity riding anymore.

As far as riding the track, I've been out of the loop for a while but unless it's gotten extra douchy up there (which it may have) you shouldn't get any trouble for riding there.
Things could be looking up since PJ just got the coach job.

sstalder5

Turbo Monkey
Aug 20, 2008
Beech Mtn Definitely NOT Boulder
Things could be looking up since PJ just got the coach job.
I did not know that... Peter's old Job or Lukes? I wanna go back now :( I learned more about mountain biking from him and Benji than anyone.

By the way I'll be in the area for nats but not riding, so naturally I'll be wandering around beech with a backpack full of beer possibly in a costume.

ininerider

Chimp
Jul 5, 2009
Banner Elk NC
Peter moved to Union College as the cycling coach no idea what Luke is doing just know he's not head coach any longer.. PJ wil be good for the program for sure!!!

Sugar_brad

Monkey
Jun 20, 2009
Camber-you have to race Nationals in the category you qualified in. If I am not mistaken you will also need a full license.

OffCamber

Monkey
May 27, 2005
Loxahatchee, Fl
After I signed up, I went to register and these options where there. Does this mean I can I have a choice for DH and can race an open DS. What's a full license cost?

Qualified Races
Fri 7/20/12 9:15 am Downhill Men Master 40-49 Cat 2 Medals 5 $95 $60
Fri 7/20/12 10:15 am Downhill Men Master 40-99 Cat 3 Medals 5 $95 $60
Open Races
Fri 7/20/12 2:15 pm Dual Slalom Men Master 40-99 Cat 2/3 Medals 5 $95 $60

Sugar_brad

Monkey
Jun 20, 2009
Camber you should be able to race Cat 2 if it gives you the option online. A full license is around $60. You might want to call or email them and just double check that if you register Cat 2 you will be able to race.

Mikedsx

Monkey
Jun 6, 2002
NC
Packing the trailer for the race. I have tubes, chains,cables,brake pads. Does anyone need spike tires? I can only do cash but will do
good prices. Not trying to get rich. Just want to make sure people have what they need for the weekend.

bmbass

Chimp
Sep 20, 2010
Hippyville, NC
Packing the trailer for the race. I have tubes, chains,cables,brake pads. Does anyone need spike tires? I can only do cash but will do
good prices. Not trying to get rich. Just want to make sure people have what they need for the weekend.
I would be interested in some. Which ones do you carry? I ordered some Intense Spikes, but they seem very.... square.