Quantcast

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001

80 pages of emails. For a certain type of person worth the read. I thought it was worthwhile, for what that’s worth.

A few passages of note, and I didn’t even grab the headline worthy but ultimately not informative bit about the lack of science behind the Europe travel ban (featuring Tom Bossert, a name that you all had forgotten thankfully):

NPI in this setting is non-pharmacological intervention. Social distancing, lockdowns.

eaterofdog

ass grabber
Sep 8, 2006
Central Florida
Reminds me of that French jet with the frozen pitot tubes (447.) The copilot was freaking the fuck out and held it in a climb until the jet literally stopped in the sky. Well, stopped until it pancaked in the goddam Atlantic. He was flying on "instinct." The other crew members were trying to figure out what was going on while he killed everyone.

cecil

Turbo Monkey
Jun 3, 2008
with the voices in my head
For my project the stay at home makes no sense we have Brazilian framers here on a work visas all living together in a 3 family home so instead of working together all day they are sitting inside a home together all day rather than being outside in the open all day

I understand the need for the stay at home in most cases but in my situation the framers staying home are not lowering their risk of exposure

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Pres getting ready to order states to get back to normal.

waiting for the inevitable "ROLF fuck off" from half the country.
I would say that you won't be able to vote in November if you are dead...but I feel that somehow republicans would find a way around this for boomers.

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons

Montana rider

Turbo Monkey
Mar 14, 2005
Not good news even for those who are "recovered"

In those who survived mild and severe disease alike, the researchers found that many of the biological measures had “failed to return to normal.”

Chief among the worrisome test results were readings that suggested these apparently recovered patients continued to have impaired liver function.

“COVID-19 is not just a respiratory disorder,” said Dr. Harlan Krumholtz, a cardiologist at Yale University. “It can affect the heart, the liver, the kidneys, the brain, the endocrine system and the blood system.”

Another question that could take years to answer is whether the SARS-CoV-2 virus that causes COVID-19 may lie dormant in the body for years and spring back later in different form.

It wouldn’t be the first virus to behave that way. After a chicken pox infection, for instance, the herpes virus that causes the illness hides quietly for decades and often emerges as the painful affliction shingles. The virus that causes hepatitis B can sow the seeds of liver cancer years later. And in the months after the West African Ebola epidemic subsided in 2016, the virus responsible for that illness was found to have taken up residence in the vitreous fluid of some of its victims’ eyes, causing blindness or vision impairment in 40% of those affected.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Pres getting ready to order states to get back to normal.

waiting for the inevitable "ROLF fuck off" from half the country.
My company has said we are virtual until at least May 15. Manager says senior management is planning for May 30 at realistic earliest and June is not off the table until the entire country is showing absolute signs of reduction and medical stability. We're a face-face business and we're not going back to normal business for at least another month to month-and-a-half.

Sandro

Terrified of Cucumbers
Nov 12, 2006
The old world
That German study's methodology has been heavily criticised over the last few days and even the preliminary results are rather thin (this is the full translation of the preliminary results: https://ridemonkey.bikemag.com/threads/we-all-gon-die-the-pandemic-thread.286452/post-4416274).

The antibody test that was used can supposedly also give positive results for the relatively benign types of corona viruses that are the cause of 30% of common colds.
Just for context, the lead author of the study succeeded the country's leading virologist and government advisor at the university of Bonn and he has been trying to get into the limelight by advocating a more laissez faire approach from the start. He was the darling of the right of center papers for a while, but the rushed release of his questionable preliminary findings has put a serious dent in his reputation.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
^That website is a piece of shit and has been for years. When John Stossel is a menu item you know it's garbage.
Kept afloat by the Koch Bro's, apparently:

"Its largest donors are the David H. Koch Charitable Foundation ($1,522,212) "

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
Kept afloat by the Koch Bro's, apparently:

"Its largest donors are the David H. Koch Charitable Foundation ($1,522,212) "

Per your link it has the same ’factual’ rating as the WaPo, Salon, Atlantic etc. That should’ve tipped me off.

I don’t know if the study is nonsense or genius. Was just posting it to throw it out there.

Kevin

Turbo Monkey
Just read the second wave is also taking its toll China among other countries.

But seriously what the fuck are people thinking? That its just gonna go away after two weeks in quarantine?
Weve been home for a month now, numbers are going down very slowly and people are already talking about going back to normal.

This isnt fucking rocketscience is it?
People are so fucking stupid Im beginning to think we deserve to die just for the sake of the planet.
It would be a hell of a lot better off with just some animals living on it anyways.

I dont believe theres something like a higher power or karma or whatever the fuck people wanna call it, but if we all die I think it would be some good old fashioned justice.