Quantcast

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Via WaPo

Northeastern and West Coast governors say they’ll coordinate efforts to reopen regional economies

Governors across six states in the northeast, coordinated by New York Gov. Andrew M. Cuomo (D), convened in a public conference call Monday afternoon to discuss a cooperative effort to reopen the region’s economy once the threat from the coronavirus has sufficiently subsided.

Shortly afterward, the governors of Washington, Oregon and California released a statement regarding a separate but similar plan.

Both could be viewed as rebuttals to President Trump, who had asserted in morning tweets that it would be up to him, and not U.S. governors, to decide when to “open up the states,” although that seemed to conflict with White House guidance to follow direction from local and state authorities.

Maryland Gov. Larry Hogan (R), chairman of the National Governors Association, said Monday that governors will consult with the team at the federal level about reopening. But Hogan added that it will ultimately be up to governors, and not Trump, to decide when to reopen their respective states.

Northeastern governors did not project a clear date for reopening efforts would begin, though Cuomo said the timetable was “weeks.”

Cuomo was joined by Democratic governors Phil Murphy of New Jersey, Ned Lamont of Connecticut, Tom Wolf of Pennsylvania, John C. Carney Jr. of Delaware and Gina Raimondo of Rhode Island, who agreed to name health, economic and executive point persons in their respective states to work on the regional plan.

“We do know this, that an economic recovery only occurs on the back of a complete health-care recovery,” Murphy said, noting that “the house is still on fire and we still have to put the fire out.”

Similarly, the Western states’ pact said that “health outcomes and science — not politics” would guide their collaborative decision-making.

The Northeastern governors were in agreement on the necessity of working together given the interconnectedness of the region, particularly among the workforce in the tri-state area of New York, New Jersey and Connecticut.

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
When he said "people are healed" in his church, perhaps he should have been a bit more specific

“I am essential,” he said of remaining open, adding, “I’m a preacher — I talk to God!”

I don't remember. Did god ever say anything about hubris? He shoulda told him.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Just read the second wave is also taking its toll China among other countries.

But seriously what the fuck are people thinking? That its just gonna go away after two weeks in quarantine?
Weve been home for a month now, numbers are going down very slowly and people are already talking about going back to normal.

This isnt fucking rocketscience is it?
People are so fucking stupid Im beginning to think we deserve to die just for the sake of the planet.
It would be a hell of a lot better off with just some animals living on it anyways.

I dont believe theres something like a higher power or karma or whatever the fuck people wanna call it, but if we all die I think it would be some good old fashioned justice.
numbers are going down? lolwut? they're just not increasing as much.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001

"To put it charitably, this would be an entirely novel and seemingly impossible sort of chemistry, and there is absolutely no scientific evidence that supports such a possibility."

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001

Excellent, sweeping article. A few quotes of choice, chosen to fit Twitter's confines

“This isn’t going to look like a normal summer in America.”

"To marshal [the US's scientific and biomedical] power, it needs a massive, coordinated, government-led initiative to find the cleverest ways of controlling COVID-19—a modern-day Apollo program. No such program is afoot."

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.

Excellent, sweeping article. A few quotes of choice, chosen to fit Twitter's confines

“This isn’t going to look like a normal summer in America.”

"To marshal [the US's scientific and biomedical] power, it needs a massive, coordinated, government-led initiative to find the cleverest ways of controlling COVID-19—a modern-day Apollo program. No such program is afoot."
I'm sorry. Do you mean to imply that Randian, Rugged Individualism™ and the Invisible Hand of the Free Market® aren't enough to bootstrap our way out of this?

Good day sir!

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
numbers are going down? lolwut? they're just not increasing as much.
Numbers of new cases and new deaths have decreased over the last few days. I would be pleased if it weren't for that the peak in new deaths should lag new cases by two weeks. Looks more like reporting fuckery to me.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Numbers of new cases and new deaths have decreased over the last few days. I would be pleased if it weren't for that the peak in new deaths should lag new cases by two weeks. Looks more like reporting fuckery to me.
the rate of change is decreasing, but the overall discrete count is still increasing.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
the rate of change is decreasing, but the overall discrete count is still increasing.

Recoveries in large part aren't going to be reported in a for profit health care system as people aren't going to pay to go to their doctors to get a recovered diagnosis. To make it even more difficult a lot of counties aren't tracking or reporting them at all. My county does not. However Snohomish county just to the north does and they have been reporting more recoveries than new cases. Supposedly there is a two week mean time to recovery for the disease. If you subtract totals from two weeks ago the actual growth rate is near zero

Capture100.JPG

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp