Quantcast

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Sad but true. Family my wife works for orders out every single night. The only thing they ever seem to cook for themselves is pasta and brownies, and apparently that's a 2+ person operation.

I, like you, have enjoyed the opportunity to cook some new stuff. Granted I wish the grocery stores weren't a shit show, but I suppose one just has to be creative with the ingredients on hand.
:stupid:

Our main issue is produce. We have to go about once a week for veggies. I have learned that Safeway (we only have Safeway and a smaller IGA across town) is ok early. But after 3, it's a shit show.

We have ordered take out trying to support places we love both in town and in Portland proper. But Wednesday night was a disaster, so we might not be taking out as much now.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
one of the problems here in the US is that so many simply don't (or even can't) cook for themselves.
I can cook, cleaning up after however is a real challenge.

I made enchiladas last weekend, everything from scratch. Holy hell, I tried to clean as I went but I dirtied half my kitchen, filled the dishwasher (mine is tiny) and still had a full sink of dishes to clean. The whole process took hours, next time I am just getting most of the components pre-made.

chuffer

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2004
McMinnville, OR
America surprises me in so many ways. Do I remember correctly that people are afraid to forage mushrooms?
yea the only people i know foraging for mushrooms are hippies and they're not looking for the kind you cook.
All the better for those of us who know. We have a pretty much unlimited supply of chanterelles and boletes. When grape harvest is early and we can get into the mtns before it snows we get Matutake as well. Nothing finer than Matutake grilled over charcoal until they just start to sweat. No oil and touch of sel gris. :drool:

It is fern & nettle season here now. Lot's of good eats to be had in the woods.

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
it forces creativity. "what can i cook with what i have on hand?"
There was a food tv show way back where a ‘celebrity chef’ would just drop on by some unsuspecting viewer’s house, and produce a ‘gourmet’ meal out of whatever was in their cupboards. It was ‘reality TV’, so probably all bullshit, but it was kind of fun, as cooking shows go.

Last edited:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001

Population weighted prevalence of COVID antibodies in Santa Clara County, California, of 2.81% as assessed on 4/3/20 and 4/4/20. Imperfect tests and all, sure, but far from herd immunity at this point.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008

Population weighted prevalence of COVID antibodies in Santa Clara County, California, of 2.81% as assessed on 4/3/20 and 4/4/20. Imperfect tests and all, sure, but far from herd immunity at this point.
You mean it's likely going to go horribly wrong when everyone thinks they can go back to work next week?

But the mango king said some states can open up starting yesterday!?

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
You mean it's likely going to go horribly wrong when everyone thinks they can go back to work next week?

Sometimes the only way people learn something is through experiencing it.

Jozz

Joe Dalton
Apr 18, 2002
SADL

mango wants to reopen the canaderp border. I wonder what will be the mango's ultimatum when our PM says no.

Last edited:

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Imma one of those dumbasses.
Post-concussion(s) I wear sunglasses in malls and stores, especially when grocery shopping. Fluorescents all on crankin it out is brutal.
I loved it back when they were doing the power save due to summer load thing, only half the lights on, I could take the shades off and actually feel non-douchey.
That's different.

Kevin

Turbo Monkey
You really should visit the states sometime and see this place for yourself. You’ll probably want to move here but will feel compelled to hit yourself in the face with a hammer for doing so.
Dude, Ive travelled all over the world for 11 years straight.
Dated a couple chicks from the US for a quite a while (not at the same time) and met a metric ton of Americans while living in Panama.

But the main thing that stops me from wanting to live in the US is having been on these forums for almost 20 years now.
You guys scare me to death :D

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
on the weekly EMS Covid19 Call. Most of the Calif Deaths are from Skilled Nursing Facilities and their lack of understanding of Infection control and proper PPE use. Which has been my experience in 12 years of going into those facilities. The staff are mostly folks that would not be hired by anyone else due to their general stupidity. low pay overcrowding and general lack of training. ALCO EMS and Public health have made it a point to go in and retrain the Staff at all the Skilled Nursing Facilities in the county. If we can get it through their heads we may not have the expected surge here in the Bay Area. Right Now we have plenty of hospital space and ventilators in ICU. Stay Isolated wash your hands and wear a mask.

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
Been trying to learn Facebook ads by trying to sell this t-shirt. not as easy as it seems.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Dated a couple chicks from the US for a quite a while (not at the same time) and met a metric ton of Americans while living in Panama.

But the main thing that stops me from wanting to live in the US is having been on these forums for almost 20 years now.
heh

If you think what's on this forum is scary, you don't know shit about america.

It's waayyy worse

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru

I always thought rm was were all the cool americans hung out.