Quantcast

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
I’m not wearing a mask for my walks and rides. I’m surprised how many people can’t identify a distance of 6 feet, or how many simply don’t care.
Ever since they started recommending masks itseems like social distancing went out the window. People think that since they bought a lovely floral print mask off Etsy they’re invincible.

On the topic of masks, what are the odds that they’re amajor factor in China having seemingly so few cases compared to New York? People in China, especially in the cities wear they all the time anyway because their air is essentially constructed from coal dust and diesel fumes, whereas up until a couple weeks ago we were instructed not to wear them. Obviously China has drastically underreported cases, but I find it hard to believe they could get away with such a massive con job if their mortality and transmission rates were similar to what we’re seeing here.

In the autopsy of the Western Worlds response, particularly the US response, recommending against masks will be seen as a massive screw up.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Ever since they started recommending masks itseems like social distancing went out the window. People think that since they bought a lovely floral print mask off Etsy they’re invincible.

On the topic of masks, what are the odds that they’re amajor factor in China having seemingly so few cases compared to New York? People in China, especially in the cities wear they all the time anyway because their air is essentially constructed from coal dust and diesel fumes, whereas up until a couple weeks ago we were instructed not to wear them. Obviously China has drastically underreported cases, but I find it hard to believe they could get away with such a massive con job if their mortality and transmission rates were similar to what we’re seeing here.

In the autopsy of the Western Worlds response, particularly the US response, recommending against masks will be seen as a massive screw up.
It looks like we are nailing the wearing of masks by single persons inside of vehicles though, so we got that going for us.

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210

Data available from China seems unreliable.

I’d say masks are a mixed bag.
1. Commonly available ones are often rated at 20% effective in reducing exposure. So, if everyone wears them, you’d have a 40% reduction. Actually, more like 36%, since person 1’s exhale is reduced to 80% which then gets reduced 20% on person 2’s inhale, all else equal. That’s a decent benefit.

2. Masks serve as s reminder. It’s a double edged sword, in that some folks think they have armor so they can take risks. Other are reminded by them to be cautious.

3. People are more likely to touch the mask than their face. However, some people will fidget with the masks, effectively touching their face more often.

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
It looks like we are nailing the wearing of masks by single persons inside of vehicles though, so we got that going for us.
If you’re not wearing a face shield and gloves while driving solo, what are you even doing with your life?

They’re going to soak it in Sardine oil and feed it to tigers? May want to rethink that one

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
For the numerically minded, this and a few subsequent posts in this thread detail why the true confidence interval for the Santa Clara seroprevalence study should include 0%, ranging up to perhaps 4%.

(0% would be unlikely given non-0 prevalence of active infections, with the greater point about specificity assumptions affecting the interpretation of the apparent positive rate.)

Jozz

Joe Dalton
Apr 18, 2002
SADL
For the numerically minded, this and a few subsequent posts in this thread detail why the true confidence interval for the Santa Clara seroprevalence study should include 0%, ranging up to perhaps 4%.

(0% would be unlikely given non-0 prevalence of active infections, with the greater point about specificity assumptions affecting the interpretation of the apparent positive rate.)
I had to read that twice to realize I can't understand a word you're saying.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
America: Where gun shops are "essential", but book stores and libraries are not.

Make of that what you will.
You dont even need bookstores now to learn how to cook. Online sources are imho better even for super complicated stuff.

Though I don't get why every country goes with the Finnish school system were rankings are forbidden and it's a classless school system so the school you went to has a huge influence on where you land in life. They also teach people how to interpret information and avoid fake news. I had that in my school but I was lucky my parents forked over for the top private school in the country at the time but hey since they weren't millionaires if I somehow become super-rich this allows me to wear the "self-made millionaire badge" just like Kylie Jenner...

@jonKranked yeah cooking is fun. It's nice to have something where your work actually results in something that has value and it's influenced only by you and not BS office politics. This gives me an idea we need a TV Cooking show where food is cooked after going through a large corporate decisionmaking process. Then the CEO has to eat that food.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
This gives me an idea we need a TV Cooking show where food is cooked after going through a large corporate decisionmaking process. Then the CEO has to eat that food.
Should just make the CEO's of fast food joints live off their menu's for a month - a la Super Size Me.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
@jonKranked yeah cooking is fun. It's nice to have something where your work actually results in something that has value and it's influenced only by you and not BS office politics. This gives me an idea we need a TV Cooking show where food is cooked after going through a large corporate decisionmaking process. Then the CEO has to eat that food
I'd watch that. I'd even help.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
surprised none of you fuckers have a thai cookbook....always getting takeout....

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
So we had our weekly COVID 19 EMS status update conference call Friday. Because the Bay Area did an early sheltr in place order we are not seeing a major surge in cases or deaths here.

However:

In a very sad way this explains why the skilled nursing homes are the outbreak epicenters and it "Validates" what those of us in the field have been saying for years.

The staff at skilled nursing facilities are the folks that no one else will hire. They have a lack of knowledge and skills and due to low pay no followup training, low staffing and as a result general apathy.

In Alameda County 65% of the hospitalizations and the majority of the deaths for COVID 19 are from these facilities. Public Health and EMS went in to investigate and found a complete lack of accountability in patient tracking, Infectious disease control, proper sanitation and PPE use at the vast majority of locations.

Staff members would go from one room to another without changing PPE. In other words taking the infection from one resident to another. In some instances even though every resident had been tested for covid no one in administration told the staff who they were. Total Cluster Eff. Public Heath and EMS are embedding folks to train and enforce proper procedures.

I have a strong suspicion that the situation is similar all around the USA

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Staff members would go from one room to another without changing PPE
To ration PPE we in the hospital are supposed to reuse surgical masks for several days if not in contact with a known COVID patient. Clearly downsides to this but so too with running out of PPE.

A true first world nation we are.

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
To ration PPE we in the hospital are supposed to reuse surgical masks for several days if not in contact with a known COVID patient. Clearly downsides to this but so too with running out of PPE.

Yeah but not changing gloves even.....and going from known Covid infected Pt to a non Covid Pt in contaminated gear is just beyond the pale

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008

Yeah but not changing gloves even.....and going from known Covid infected Pt to a non Covid Pt in contaminated gear is just beyond the pale
Are you tired of winning yet?