Quantcast

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
It's busier where I am right now than if this weren't even going on. Like even Tahoe is more busy right now than normal.
That's how it was out there today, busier than normal. They were having to close parking lots at trailheads because they were at capacity.

Jozz

Joe Dalton
Apr 18, 2002
SADL
Same here.

I'll be spending all summer doing the following:

1. Learning to ride a moto with one other person
2. Building bike trails by myself.

It's busier where I am right now than if this weren't even going on. Like even Tahoe is more busy right now than normal.

People are too stupid to do this.
Are the trailheads parking lots closed?

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
I have 3 groups of riding buddies. Some of them still go on rides together. Groups of 3 or 4 like nothing happened and its usually pretty busy
during the hours they go.
Ive sent links from the Dutch/Belgian study that was done about mountainbiking and running in times of Covid-19 but I doubt any of them read it.
Is there an english translation of your study ?

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Are the trailheads parking lots closed?
Campgrounds are, as are a small handful of the blatant "idiot goes here" gated staging areas with signs and such. But this place doesn't rely on 'trailheads' for access. There's a lot of informal and neighborhood accessed stuff that used to exist below the moron radar. But thanks instagram! Colorado straight up closed the national forests. They didn't do that here.

Plus we just have a bigass cool lake to look at, it's 20 degrees cooler here than the hellscape all these fools decided to move to when they prioritized money over daily environment so it's not like you 'need' to be hiking and biking on trails to enjoy something here.

Jozz

Joe Dalton
Apr 18, 2002
SADL
Campgrounds are, as are a small handful of the blatant "idiot goes here" gated staging areas with signs and such. But this place doesn't rely on 'trailheads' for access. There's a lot of informal and neighborhood accessed stuff that used to exist below the moron radar. But thanks instagram! Colorado straight up closed the national forests. They didn't do that here.
They closed our stuff a month ago. So basically only locals that can ride/walk to trails use them, so the hordes of Covidians from Montreal can't come up here to spread their shit. We also have random police checkpoints. You're from the city and you go up north for no good reason, here's your $1500 fine.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
They closed our stuff a month ago. So basically only locals that can ride/walk to trails use them, so the hordes of Covidians from Montreal can't come up here to spread their shit. We also have random police checkpoints. You're from the city and you go up north for no good reason, here's your $1500 fine.
Yeah we've covered this. You live in civilized first world country. We have exceptionalism. Like "we'd be a functioning intelligent society, except we have all these dumb shits living around us that think if you call a virus chinese enough times, it loses its power."

You get those dick pics I sent or what? I can fold that whole mess inwards if it helps. Get me outta here.

sweetie

Jozz

Joe Dalton
Apr 18, 2002
SADL
Yeah we've covered this. You live in civilized first world country. We have exceptionalism. Like "we'd be a functioning intelligent society, except we have all these dumb shits living around us that think if you call a virus chinese enough times, it loses its power."
We have our dumfucks. They're usually tamer and non red hat wearin' guntard.

You get those dick pics I sent or what? I can fold that whole mess inwards if it helps. Get me outta here.

sweetie
Glad to see you're giving this second though. I'll have you in a gimp suit in no time.

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
At least 17 people would complain about travel restrictions being unamerican, but Italy's plan seems fairly sound to me https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-52435273

Provided people are willing to re-lockdown if need-be, this seems like a very reasonable path forward for us as well. Far better than indefinite lockdown until "it's over". Then again, we're governed by goddamn idiots, so they'd probably fuck it up entirely, so um, maybe not?

Mo(n)arch

Turbo Monkey
Dec 27, 2010
Italy/south Tyrol
At least 17 people would complain about travel restrictions being unamerican, but Italy's plan seems fairly sound to me https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-52435273

Provided people are willing to re-lockdown if need-be, this seems like a very reasonable path forward for us as well. Far better than indefinite lockdown until "it's over". Then again, we're governed by goddamn idiots, so they'd probably fuck it up entirely, so um, maybe not?
A lot of countries have the same or similar strategies. I suspect that we are going in a "back and forth" kind of scenario.
Germany's reproduction figure needs to stay around 1,1 (correct me if I'm wrong), if numbers would go up to around 1,25 they would reach max. ICU capacity around June or July again.
Not sure about other countries in yurp as I tend to follow only german media (Switzerland, Germany and Austria) but I'd wager to say that the whole continent has plus minus the same capacities right now. Hospitals are adapting with separating COVID areas to different buildings in my region which is a very positive development.
That way other emergencys and scheduled appointments can be handled better.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
One thing that makes me wonder is EU borders. When will they open them and with what restrictions? My family living in Bavaria wants to kidnap my grandma but she is in Poland right now.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
Havent seen the debunkage.
But somehow common sense tells me if you cough and breathe heavily I dont want to be behind you on my bike, also breathing heavily.

Im not sure theres already numbers available on infectious dose but Im not taking any chances.
Ill just ride on my own.

Kevin

Turbo Monkey
So not really debunked but not a very scientifically sound study either.

However, the path that these droplets follow according to their model seems pretty logical to me.
Until we know exactly what the viral load is and just how it behaves in practice I dont think its a bad id to stay far away from someone ahead of you on a single track.
Especially when both are breathing heavily.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I already knew this from my days doing chemical warfare in the Army. The 6 feet thing makes sense and to prevent getting it from someone's snot-rockets or lung-attack, but otherwise chemicals and particles quickly disperse and reach levels that are effectively zero. Despite what people think, chemical warfare is only effective in the right conditions of wind, weather/humidity, etc. It doesn't affect a wide area well (unless you have an army's-worth of guns and delivery systems spread out), more of a point weapon for concentrated formations/population. So the virus may be "hanging around" for a while on surfaces is plausible, but catching it outside of a few feet in the open air (not indoors) would be be highly unlikely, given how particles and the like disperse.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
A lot of countries have the same or similar strategies. I suspect that we are going in a "back and forth" kind of scenario.
Germany's reproduction figure needs to stay around 1,1 (correct me if I'm wrong), if numbers would go up to around 1,25 they would reach max. ICU capacity around June or July again.
Not sure about other countries in yurp as I tend to follow only german media (Switzerland, Germany and Austria) but I'd wager to say that the whole continent has plus minus the same capacities right now. Hospitals are adapting with separating COVID areas to different buildings in my region which is a very positive development.
That way other emergencys and scheduled appointments can be handled better.
Dr. Merkel says Rt of 1.1 == capacity reached in Germany in October.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001

As a radiologist the chest radiographs here are really striking. As a human and a parent, so is the story.

32 days on a vent and ECMO, and now home.