Quantcast

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
World-wide reported deaths around a quarter million, 0.03% of the number of us busy fucking up the planet.
There is a factor of 3-4 between official deaths and increase of deaths vs non-covid months.. plus its only been what? 4-5 months since expansion to the west, and mostly contained in the first world so far?

shit is not even close to the fan yet....

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
The key quote: "might voluntary lockdowns work just as well?"

To which I'd answer, for the U.S., "no fucking way." Because when you have 20+ million people that don't believe in science, won't listen to scientists, and act like a bunch of fucking spoiled 3 year olds, voluntary lockdowns are simply a pipe dream.

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004

To which I'd answer, for the U.S., "no fucking way." Because when you have 20+ million people that don't believe in science, won't listen to scientists, and act like a bunch of fucking spoiled 3 year olds, voluntary lockdowns are simply a pipe dream.
All valid points.
Here in MA, 8 weeks in, people are toeing the line well. Data shows solid, but eroding, adherence to isolation/distancing and masks are mandatory indoors in public settings and outdoors when distancing isn’t possible.

But MA has been hammered so I’m confident a safe easing is possible here.

Those places throwing caution to the wind will reconsider their position after their reckoning.

Bike078

Monkey
Jan 11, 2018
I was watching international news and saw a segment where people in the US were refusing to wear masks in public. Why is that? "Muh' freedoms?"

Our province here in the central Philippines transitioned to a general community quarantine from an enhanced community quarantine since we hadn't had new cases in a while (ours remain at 4, country has a total of more than 9,000).

There were so many people downtown yesterday. I would say more than 99 percent were wearing masks but social distancing was gone although stores were trying to regulate the number of shoppers. Also, there were probably a lot of people from other municipalities going to our city.

Scary. We haven't done mass testing and our health system absolutely cannot handle a large number of cases. We should have retained the checkpoints and the quarantine passes system.

Mask wearing is still mandatory, large gatherings, including church services, are prohibited, no dine-in at restos and people below 21 and senior citizens are still not allowed to go out. I hope and pray everything will be better for all of us.
Update: Our provincial governor issued an addendum to his executive order and reinstated the quarantine pass system with some modifications.

Stay safe everyone!

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle

To which I'd answer, for the U.S., "no fucking way." Because when you have 300+ million people that don't believe in science, won't listen to scientists, and act like a bunch of fucking spoiled 3 year olds, voluntary lockdowns are simply a pipe dream.

FTFY

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
All valid points.
Here in MA, 8 weeks in, people are toeing the line well. Data shows solid, but eroding, adherence to isolation/distancing and masks are mandatory indoors in public settings and outdoors when distancing isn’t possible.

But MA has been hammered so I’m confident a safe easing is possible here.

Those places throwing caution to the wind will reconsider their position after their reckoning.
Enforcing the masks now (the mandate starts tomorrow), three months after the outbreak started, is political posturing. Even last week, 1/2 of the grocery store staff wore no masks or gloves, but now I have to wear one in the woods or risk $300 penalty or face the wrath of angry old witches.

And then there is this https://boston.cbslocal.com/2020/05/05/newburyport-skate-park-coronavirus-bark-mulch/

Jozz

Joe Dalton
Apr 18, 2002
SADL

USA, 21.54 death per 100,000
SWEDEN 28.26 death per 100,000

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
Enforcing the masks now (the mandate starts tomorrow), three months after the outbreak started, is political posturing. Even last week, 1/2 of the grocery store staff wore no masks or gloves, but now I have to wear one in the woods or risk $300 penalty or face the wrath of angry old witches.

And then there is this https://boston.cbslocal.com/2020/05/05/newburyport-skate-park-coronavirus-bark-mulch/
Hold up, I thought the mask thing was just in grocery stores and while out shopping. You mean to tell me I'm expected to wear a face mask while out riding my bike? Gonna go with a whole lotta fuck that.

Last edited:

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001

Where should masks be worn?

The order requires residents to use a face covering in public places when they cannot socially distance.
Being in the woods appears to be a place where one can socially distance. QED.

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA

There's already been a bunch of vids with kids riding the skate parks on mini-bikes in the mulch. Nature will find a way.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
And even if the cops won't go after you, good citizens will, see my yesterday's experience in the woods.
The actual order, as toshi noted, is only when distancing not possible if outside.

I had my karen moment 2 weeks ago while hiking in gloucester.
Woman screamed MASK! at me from 75' across a ravine while on a non-intersecting trail.

Bug are coming out soon so that will minimize amateur hour in the woods, esp in greenhead country.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
The actual order, as toshi noted, is only when distancing not possible if outside.

I had my karen moment 2 weeks ago while hiking in gloucester.
Woman screamed MASK! at me from 75' across a ravine while on a non-intersecting trail.

Bug are coming out soon so that will minimize amateur hour in the woods, esp in greenhead country.
Just start carrying a jar of ticks with you.

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA

Heard on WGBH radio today that some ungodly amount of people are in support of Baker's handling of this.....F that. The posturing and Johnny come lately approach in this state (which isn't unique to just MA) really frustrates me. I get it, we as a species are pretty awful and perhaps the only way to handle this extra special lot that we have here in 'Merica is to misguide and delay taking real and actionable leadership until fatigue sets in and we come to be accepting of the path that we're now on.

With all that said, making masks mandatory is smart even if it is 3 months late. Don't be a bitch. Wear one if you go riding.

Jozz

Joe Dalton
Apr 18, 2002
SADL
Trump visiting a mask factory in AZ, with Guns n Roses Live and Let Die playing in the background...

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
And all the water
trump had round table talk with native americans....may watch later...

eaterofdog

ass grabber
Sep 8, 2006
Central Florida
"let's just do what sweden did"

"hurd munity"

"just protect the vulnerable"

About that vulnerable part.......
There's some weird cirulatory shit going on with this. Some people's fingers and toes blister and rot. Some people's skin turns dark.

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
"let's just do what sweden did"

"hurd munity"

"just protect the vulnerable"

About that vulnerable part.......
In your opinion, what is an acceptable amount of risk?
That’s the question that every country is grappling with