Quantcast

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
any other parents super nervous about what the school year is going to look like? my son will be starting kindergarten (ours are half day) and my daughter is enrolled in preschool (2 mornings a week). the preschool follows a different school district schedule than my son, and based on their guidelines will be opening (at least that's the plan for now). my son's school district has not yet announced, but we're meeting to go over his IEP next week or the week after, and have heard that on site attendance may not be mandatory.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
any other parents super nervous about what the school year is going to look like? my son will be starting kindergarten (ours are half day) and my daughter is enrolled in preschool (2 mornings a week). the preschool follows a different school district schedule than my son, and based on their guidelines will be opening (at least that's the plan for now). my son's school district has not yet announced, but we're meeting to go over his IEP next week or the week after, and have heard that on site attendance may not be mandatory.
Almost every parent I know with young children seem to get sick with something when school starts in the fall. What could go wrong?

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Almost every parent I know with young children seem to get sick with something when school starts in the fall. What could go wrong?
i'm less concerned about my kids and the teachers than i am the kids of parents who have been running around like nothing's happening. that, plus the current lack of solid understanding of the long term effects and damage, which based on the info out so far are pretty bad. i'm not too keen on gambling with my kids' lives.

jebfour

Turbo Monkey
Jun 19, 2003
CLT, NC
i'm less concerned about my kids and the teachers than i am the kids of parents who have been running around like nothing's happening. that, plus the current lack of solid understanding of the long term effects and damage, which based on the info out so far are pretty bad. i'm not too keen on gambling with my kids' lives.
This. Our state (NC) is having record numbers and lots of people act like nothing is happening. When you need to go into a store, some of the employees are not even wearing masks. When you get a few hundred kids together, some of which have parents who refuse to comply in any way because this is "political" or some other ridiculous crap, I fear the spread will be far and wide.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
This. Our state (NC) is having record numbers and lots of people act like nothing is happening. When you need to go into a store, some of the employees are not even wearing masks. When you get a few hundred kids together, some of which have parents who refuse to comply in any way because this is "political" or some other ridiculous crap, I fear the spread will be far and wide.
i've heard rumors of school districts doing A / B groups; A group week 1, B group week 2, etc, with deep disinfecting on the weekends. i'm operating under the assumption this would include online learning on the "off" weeks. i'm still not convinced this would reduce transmission risk significantly enough to justify it.

jebfour

Turbo Monkey
Jun 19, 2003
CLT, NC
i've heard rumors of school districts doing A / B groups; A group week 1, B group week 2, etc, with deep disinfecting on the weekends. i'm operating under the assumption this would include online learning on the "off" weeks. i'm still not convinced this would reduce transmission risk significantly enough to justify it.
I believe the A/B groups are the current plan here. I'm right there with you though. I'm far from an expert but I question its effectiveness. In theory my daughter would only be around half as many kids. However, when I see how many people are not taking precautions, I have to wonder if they have a kid in my daughter's school. I certainly don't have the answers but to say I'm concerned is an understatement.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I believe the A/B groups are the current plan here. I'm right there with you though. I'm far from an expert but I question its effectiveness. In theory my daughter would only be around half as many kids. However, when I see how many people are not taking precautions, I have to wonder if they have a kid in my daughter's school. I certainly don't have the answers but to say I'm concerned is an understatement.
one of the things i'm concerned about is the lack of social interaction, which at my kids' ages (3 and 5) is still crucial for their development. in the big scheme of things, i certainly don't think that outweighs the potential health risks, and it's not like they're the only ones facing this. there's gonna a whole generation of kids that this is gonna impact.

the other implication is that we'd essentially be home schooling them, which for me means i'd have to alter my working hours to accommodate teaching. i'm WFH for the foreseeable future (ie into next year) and i have the flexibility to do so. i get that not many parents have that option, unfortunately.

jebfour

Turbo Monkey
Jun 19, 2003
CLT, NC
one of the things i'm concerned about is the lack of social interaction, which at my kids' ages (3 and 5) is still crucial for their development. in the big scheme of things, i certainly don't think that outweighs the potential health risks, and it's not like they're the only ones facing this. there's gonna a whole generation of kids that this is gonna impact.

the other implication is that we'd essentially be home schooling them, which for me means i'd have to alter my working hours to accommodate teaching. i'm WFH for the foreseeable future (ie into next year) and i have the flexibility to do so. i get that not many parents have that option, unfortunately.
I'm right there with you again. My daughter is 13 and has for the most part, she has been staying home altogether. We can definitely can see a difference in her behavior due to the lack of social interaction. It's not "bad", but she's starved to do the things that 13 year old kids do. Due to this, she's just not herself and what I would consider to be distracted a good amount of the time. Does that justify sending her off to a middle-school petri dish? I don't think so but I don't know what to do either. The current plan is to wait until we get closer to the first day of school and then make some hard decisions.

My wife and I are both working from home but our schedules can't be adjusted to accommodate home schooling, so that's out...

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I'm right there with you again. My daughter is 13 and has for the most part, she has been staying home altogether. We can definitely can see a difference in her behavior due to the lack of social interaction. It's not "bad", but she's starved to do the things that 13 year old kids do. Due to this, she's just not herself and what I would consider to be distracted a good amount of the time. Does that justify sending her off to a middle-school petri dish? I don't think so but I don't know what to do either. The current plan is to wait until we get closer to the first day of school and then make some hard decisions.

My wife and I are both working from home but our schedules can't be adjusted to accommodate home schooling, so that's out...
right now there's really no good options unfortunately, especially considering the failures of the federal gov't to properly address this.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
This looks to be the most likely plan for Haley's school. 2 days in, 3 days remote. Our county has one of the lowest average age, highest income, and most homogeneous Caucasian populations in the state, which are three factors that can drive down infection rates. With that being said, my city which makes up the largest part of the county population and is the most liberal (shocker it's the closest to Denver and has the most kids) has pushed back very hard against the rest of the county with regards to bringing school back to normal.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
This looks to be the most likely plan for Haley's school. 2 days in, 3 days remote. Our county has one of the lowest average age, highest income, and most homogeneous Caucasian populations in the state, which are three factors that can drive down infection rates. With that being said, my city which makes up the largest part of the county population and is the most liberal (shocker it's the closest to Denver and has the most kids) has pushed back very hard against the rest of the county with regards to bringing school back to normal.
my county is the 3 largest in the state (by population) and has the second highest case count. we're still at over 300 new cases a week, and that number is starting to creep back up.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado

We have a tight neighborhood with kids Haley's age. As a group we've agreed to somewhat isolate interaction to the the 5 families with limited exposure to other groups of kids. We have a nanny that the kids will all go out with 1 day per week to do things, but it's all stuff with population limitations or outside. They also go to a camp 2 days per week but it's the same structure - they won't let more that 2 kids be together, require masks to be worn properly and changed mid-day, and the activities are very much non-physical (limit heavy breathing). They are so bored with it that we might have to find something else to do with them for the rest of the summer - possibly having one parent take a day each week to chaperone them of some activity out of the neighborhood.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
We have a tight neighborhood with kids Haley's age. As a group we've agreed to somewhat isolate interaction to the the 5 families with limited exposure to other groups of kids. We have a nanny that the kids will all go out with 1 day per week to do things, but it's all stuff with population limitations or outside. They also go to a camp 2 days per week but it's the same structure - they won't let more that 2 kids be together, require masks to be worn properly and changed mid-day, and the activities are very much non-physical (limit heavy breathing). They are so bored with it that we might have to find something else to do with them for the rest of the summer - possibly having one parent take a day each week to chaperone them of some activity out of the neighborhood.
has your wife considered putting in a ///Pool?

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
has your wife considered putting in a ///Pool?
Haley begs for it regularly but we are right on the open space so we don't have the depth in our backyard and then there is the concern of animals. One of the other families has one but their kids are a lot younger(3/5) vs. the main group (7-10), so it's a hard integration. There are a lot of trampolines around now though.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Haley begs for it regularly but we are right on the open space so we don't have the depth in our backyard and then there is the concern of animals. One of the other families has one but their kids are a lot younger(3/5) vs. the main group (7-10), so it's a hard integration. There are a lot of trampolines around now though.
there are things called above ground pools, but your HOA probably would rule against it for not being monocle enough.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
hot tub? way cheaper than a pool.
I'm not putting in a cement pad and plumbing into a non-permanent location. Once the girls are old enough the playground will be getting ripped out and an outdoor kitchen/patio/hot tub area built.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Yet trampolines are okay.
Lolz.
we just got a trampoline. it's still in a box in the garage. wife randomly stopped at bj's or costco, they happened to have gotten a shipment that morning (after being sold out for months), it was on sale and the last one. i think it wound up being under $300

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I give it about a 10% chance that my two elder kids physically attend school this year.