Quantcast

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
From george takei fb:

The thing is, you can't get the U.S. economy restarted until you get the infection rates down. People are going to stay clear of restaurants, air travel, and large venues so long as the threat is real, even if you move reopen them. Just look at what happened to air travel after 9/11. It takes time to build trust, and our federal and state governments have squandered a lot of that.

To fix the economy, we have to get a handle on the virus. European and Asian countries understood this, and people there are starting to get back to their lives. But we are nowhere near that point. The virus is spreading and growing in most parts of the country. That's another reason, besides preventing hospital ICU overcapacity issues, why rollbacks or even shutdowns are needed in the hardest hit places. Consumers need to feel like their governments take this seriously.

Until people feel like everything reasonably is being done to protect them (as we have begun to feel in NY now), consumers will feel spooked, and the economy will remain in the dumps.

Jozz

Joe Dalton
Apr 18, 2002
SADL
The thing is, you can't get the U.S. economy restarted until you get the infection rates down. People are going to stay clear of restaurants, air travel, and large venues so long as the threat is real
I was under the impression that the reason why shit is hitting the fan in many states is because people are not staying clear of anything?

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
I was under the impression that the reason why shit is hitting the fan in many states is because people are not staying clear of anything?
The amount of people you need going out and living like nothing happened for shit hitting the fan is far, far lower than the amount of people you need to return the economy back to "normal".

At some point, the areas under both scenarios/curves of gdp vs lockdown make it cheaper to just lockdown for good.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Deliver vaccine doses means some people will have access to them but it will be several more months before they are widely available.

Then there is the part where people actually need to get vaccinated. Considering how many morons there are out there I don't see that happening in large numbers. Hopefully I can get my ass protected.

Last edited:

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
Survived Jury Duty, first time I've ever seen the government do something smart, they made us wait in our cars in the parking lot and just keep checking back in every hour, never got within 20 feet of another juror, and caught some flak for asking a court officer to cover their nose before I approached their covid party.

Deliver vaccine doses means some people will have access to them but it will be several more months before they are widely available.

Then there is the part where people actually need to get vaccinated. Considering how many morons there are out there I don't see that happening in large numbers. Hopefully I can get my ass protected.

In areas that actually have mask mandates, there seems to be a relatively high usage rate, from my observation anyhow. That gives me a slight bit of hope that people may get vaccinated if it's required the was an MMR shot is.

I also believe companies will be requiring it, there are tons that already require all sorts of shots before you can start work, don't know why they can't require a Covid poke as well. Somebody may try to take it to the Supreme Court, but I think there's already enough of a precedent established that any challenge will lose in court.

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
FUCKING MILLENIALS. in general, based on toshi's florida chart, various things in the media, and a conversations with colleagues in boston and at the university of georgia yesterday in which both reported hordes of twentysomethings, back at schools for fraternity rush (athens) and just out and about in general (boston), just carrying on in public as usual, no masks, distancing, etc. i'm 100% on board for hoping that those fuckers kill themselves off. the sooner the better.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout

This. I did some numbers the other week and we're gonna need like 4 billion doses globally to start to get things under control.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
FUCKING MILLENIALS. in general, based on toshi's florida chart, various things in the media, and a conversations with colleagues in boston and at the university of georgia yesterday in which both reported hordes of twentysomethings, back at schools for fraternity rush (athens) and just out and about in general (boston), just carrying on in public as usual, no masks, distancing, etc. i'm 100% on board for hoping that those fuckers kill themselves off. the sooner the better.
Darwin.jpg

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
Boomers and X-ers in the burbs here seem to be following the mask protocol quite responsibly. The youngsters not so much.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
From george takei fb:

The thing is, you can't get the U.S. economy restarted until you get the infection rates down. People are going to stay clear of restaurants, air travel, and large venues so long as the threat is real, even if you move reopen them. Just look at what happened to air travel after 9/11. It takes time to build trust, and our federal and state governments have squandered a lot of that.

Until people feel like everything reasonably is being done to protect them (as we have begun to feel in NY now), consumers will feel spooked, and the economy will remain in the dumps.
We will continue to not go out. While I'm bleeding money for the construction projects, we're still less than our normal spending. And now that we've taken contractors out of the loop, we're cycling less of the money back into the local economy (see Home Depot).

We're going to a wedding in TN in September, but will be driving instead of flying. We're willing to take 2-days of driving, each way, with both girls in the car to avoid flying. I highly doubt we'll be flying anywhere, anytime soon.

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
This. I did some numbers the other week and we're gonna need like 4 billion doses globally to start to get things under control.
That is assumming people would actually want to get vaccinated.

In a recent very informal poll (a few hundred votes of sample for a 7k population) in my somewhat afluent and mostly college educated hood's fb group, about 1/3 of moms said they wouldnt get a vaccine if/when it was ready.

I dont have very high hopes for humanity.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
If you had 5 or so manufacturing lines running 24/7 it would still take 3 months to meet US demand. And none of that shit can run continuously with out problems, especially if there are new aspects to the process.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
That is assumming people would actually want to get vaccinated.

In a recent very informal poll (a few hundred votes of sample for a 7k population) in my somewhat afluent and mostly college educated hood's fb group, about 1/3 of moms said they wouldnt get a vaccine if/when it was ready.

I dont have very high hopes for humanity.
This is also assuming they survive until a vaccine is ready

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
If you had 5 or so manufacturing lines running 24/7 it would still take 3 months to meet US demand. And none of that shit can run continuously with out problems, especially if there are new aspects to the process.
Once a vaccine clears regulatory approval they're gonna be retrofitting every line available.

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
Unless you can self-administer, i think the botteneck will be medical personel.

They are stretched thin now and will be for some time.

At 12 people per hour per nurse and 300 million in the US, youll need 25 million nurse-hours to vaccinate the whole contry.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
Counterpoint: most chain pharmacies can give vaccines.
Really? Wow, thats interesting.

So, no questions about pre-existances, allergies or any risks needed to be disclosed to a doctor/nurse or a basic temp/light check up before hand?

I remember one time when I took my kids for vaccines, the doctor send us back home after a quick checkup because my daughter had a bit of a cold.

Last edited: