Quantcast

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Why wait?

I don't know the details, but with the usa being a crapshow right now, why even travel all over the country? Isn't that just putting yourself at more risk?
We're not concerned about us; more so Wifey's mom. And the sad thing, is that wearing a mask does shit for us. It's for those around us. Selfish assholes.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
So yesterday kid comes home from school all congested and with a runny nose.... I guess it's of to get tested we go.

Our Chief Medical Officer of Health has confirmed we've entered our second wave. The testing facility is slammed. My wife got there at 6:30 this morning to get a place line. It opens at 8:30, but there were already close to a hundred people in line. There's been reports of waiting times longer than 5 hours... Apparently the "kids line"is 2x as long as the normal line.

Seems crazy that you can't book a time. How long have we been doing this now?

Edited to add: this just in. It's now 7:15 am and the line crosses a soccer field three times.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Well, file this under fucking moronic. My sister and her husband and 3 kids (ages 2 through 8) flew to disney world. An airplane. To disney. In fucking florida.

InfiniteLoopFacePalm.gif

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
I’ve been nearly 100% isolated other than trips to the doc, pharmacy, and mechanic, except for two distanced visits (one of which was to pick up a road bike for my trainer). I’m now getting more and more requests and pressure for visits. Thanksgiving is coming so I’ll need to visit one parental unit to avoid a total meltdown. Honestly, I miss socializing, but my tinfoil hat is on so tight that I’m just not willing to risk any degree of interaction.

I had a round of illness which could’ve been COVID a little while back. I’ve read about the possible lasting heart and lung issues. I know Nick hasn’t been feeling great. But at the same time I also thing the likelihood of getting it is still fairly low.

I’ve considered distanced visits, for mental/emotional well-being. I’ve considered training at a small private gym for physical well-being. I just can’t get over the thought of getting this and having any lasting effects given my already weakened physical state. The rest of my life is already going to be one of physical challenges, and piling the risks on just haven’t seemed worth it.

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
I’ve been nearly 100% isolated other than trips to the doc, pharmacy, and mechanic, except for two distanced visits (one of which was to pick up a road bike for my trainer). I’m now getting more and more requests and pressure for visits. Thanksgiving is coming so I’ll need to visit one parental unit to avoid a total meltdown. Honestly, I miss socializing, but my tinfoil hat is on so tight that I’m just not willing to risk any degree of interaction.

I had a round of illness which could’ve been COVID a little while back. I’ve read about the possible lasting heart and lung issues. I know Nick hasn’t been feeling great. But at the same time I also thing the likelihood of getting it is still fairly low.

I’ve considered distanced visits, for mental/emotional well-being. I’ve considered training at a small private gym for physical well-being. I just can’t get over the thought of getting this and having any lasting effects given my already weakened physical state. The rest of my life is already going to be one of physical challenges, and piling the risks on just haven’t seemed worth it.
You are not alone. Stay strong and you’ll be hanging in there.

See what I did ?

Isolation sucks and I would love to have an in person conversation with anyone other than my Trump loving parents. But like you I don’t want or need anymore health obstacles.

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
You are not alone. Stay strong and you’ll be hanging in there.

See what I did ?

Isolation sucks and I would love to have an in person conversation with anyone other than my Trump loving parents. But like you I don’t want or need anymore health obstacles.
I just can't see the value of an in-person conversation over a phone call, given the risk. If we're just gonna talk with masks on, then get on the blower. IDGAF about seeing anyone at the risk of spreading an infection. I don't want to drive anywhere, then use another bathroom (nobody is getting in my place), and then yell at a distance through a mask. Save me the drive time and the anxiety about contamination. I'm going to have to start saying "fuck no" instead of just no. Whenever anyone asks what my reasons are, they just want to argue and dismiss them. Almost nobody says "that's a valid concern." I genuinely don't expect to see a human for another 6 months.

AngryMetalsmith

Jun 4, 2006
I just can't see the value of an in-person conversation over a phone call, given the risk. If we're just gonna talk with masks on, then get on the blower. IDGAF about seeing anyone at the risk of spreading an infection. I don't want to drive anywhere, then use another bathroom (nobody is getting in my place), and then yell at a distance through a mask. Save me the drive time and the anxiety about contamination. I'm going to have to start saying "fuck no" instead of just no. Whenever anyone asks what my reasons are, they just want to argue and dismiss them. Almost nobody says "that's a valid concern." I genuinely don't expect to see a human for another 6 months.
Because other tenants who refuse to wear a mask in common areas I haven't been to my studio during the day since March. No one has been in here since then as well. I'm having a hard time with not working during the day, at least a little bit. Have to find things to do around the house until 7:00pm since, like you, I don't go anywhere except the grocery store and to hike once a week.

I really need a break and want to go backpacking this week but am scared of contact with other humans. Granted where I want to go is a lot less backwards than my local spot and would more likely encounter those who wear masks and generally are more respectful of personal space.

Stress and anxiety have been through the roof last several days.

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
Because other tenants who refuse to wear a mask in common areas I haven't been to my studio during the day since March. No one has been in here since then as well. I'm having a hard time with not working during the day, at least a little bit. Have to find things to do around the house until 7:00pm since, like you, I don't go anywhere except the grocery store and to hike once a week.

I really need a break and want to go backpacking this week but am scared of contact with other humans. Granted where I want to go is a lot less backwards than my local spot and would more likely encounter those who wear masks and generally are more respectful of personal space.

Stress and anxiety have been through the roof last several days.
Understood about stress and anxiety.
What a mess. Keep up the good fight.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
Well, file this under fucking moronic. My sister and her husband and 3 kids (ages 2 through 8) flew to disney world. An airplane. To disney. In fucking florida.

InfiniteLoopFacePalm.gif
safer than riding the subway in ny in march....from a governor who thought new yorkers were tougher than a virus at the time....

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
So yesterday kid comes home from school all congested and with a runny nose.... I guess it's of to get tested we go.

Our Chief Medical Officer of Health has confirmed we've entered our second wave. The testing facility is slammed. My wife got there at 6:30 this morning to get a place line. It opens at 8:30, but there were already close to a hundred people in line. There's been reports of waiting times longer than 5 hours... Apparently the "kids line"is 2x as long as the normal line.

Edited to add: this just in. It's now 7:15 am and the line crosses a soccer field three times.
The girlfriend and I booked time off around Thanksgiving to go to Bromont.

We haven't booked where to stay yet, but I'm wondering if we should even bother....

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
The girlfriend and I booked time off around Thanksgiving to go to Bromont.

We haven't booked where to stay yet, but I'm wondering if we should even bother....
Would be pretty around that time. Cases are unfortunately on the rise – the latest numbers are starting to look like March/April: https://montrealgazette.com/news/local-news/coronavirus-live-updates-montreal-adapts-to-life-under-orange-alert/
Yeah, except Bromont is pretty far from Montreal. My opinion (which is not medically-informed), is that if you don't have symptoms based on the self-assessment tools put out by our governments, you are safe to travel.

If you're going for a weekend, bring your own food and supplies, and don't go to restaurants. If you're riding the lifts, I assume they're requiring people to mask up.

My understanding is that with minimal precautions, like wearing a mask, and being outside, the risk of transmission is pretty low. For me, it's the being outside part that's crucial.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Yeah, except Bromont is pretty far from Montreal. My opinion (which is not medically-informed), is that if you don't have symptoms based on the self-assessment tools put out by our governments, you are safe to travel.

If you're going for a weekend, bring your own food and supplies, and don't go to restaurants. If you're riding the lifts, I assume they're requiring people to mask up.

My understanding is that with minimal precautions, like wearing a mask, and being outside, the risk of transmission is pretty low. For me, it's the being outside part that's crucial.
Yeah from what I've seen you need a mask while in line. And it sounds like they are only allowing 1 person per chair, regardless of whether you're "with" the other person or not. Sounds like long lift lines.... This in contrast to the picture I posted in the other riding thread on Saturday, showing the lift line at a local resort; no masks and pretty much no one physically distancing themselves.

Our alternative is to go up north to the Muskoka are and ride around there. Sucks though, one of the trail centers is totally closed this year. So the options are either super gnarly tech riding or super easy boring green trails. Hmmm.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Yeah from what I've seen you need a mask while in line. And it sounds like they are only allowing 1 person per chair, regardless of whether you're "with" the other person or not. Sounds like long lift lines.... This in contrast to the picture I posted in the other riding thread on Saturday, showing the lift line at a local resort; no masks and pretty much no one physically distancing themselves.

Our alternative is to go up north to the Muskoka are and ride around there. Sucks though, one of the trail centers is totally closed this year. So the options are either super gnarly tech riding or super easy boring green trails. Hmmm.
the rules at my local mt (which i haven't yet been to this year) masks required when inside, in the lift line, and loading/unloading from the lift. they're not limiting the lift to 1 person, but you can only ride with the people you drove with.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001

where are you at?

in red neck land....drive up appointments in my shithole town....no wait....

20200921_120918.jpg

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001

Guess where people that go to Bromont live? :P

But yeah, probably ok w/ the right precautions. Definitely not my idea of a relaxing weekend however. Would rather just go into the woods by myself... but I think that's my general preference regardless.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
where are you at?

in red neck land....drive up appointments in my shithole town....no wait....

View attachment 149958
our Nation's capital... Ottawa. There's some little towns just beyond the urban boundary that offer drive-up tests, with appointment.

My oldest seems to have caught what my youngest has. I may book an appointment for him there tomorrow. A 30 minute drive each way is better than a 5 hour wait.

AngryMetalsmith

Jun 4, 2006
Saw a maskless woman with a yoga mat walking towards me as I was unloading my car. Managed to avoid her and her germ cannon. Just saw her again on the sidewalk, this time getting all touchy-feely with some random dude on a hybrid bike with lots of accessories for electronics. So basically she goes to a small room and does yoga with others whom I can only assume are maskless as well, then wants to ride on the back of some dudes bike. She was certainly attractive and who could blame chubby, nerdy guy for enjoying a little attention. But for fucks sake, we are never going to get rid of Covid like this.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
hey who is excited that NFL football is back? don't get too used to it.

Among other offenders: Patriots coach Bill Belichick and his offensive coordinator Josh McDaniels, Chiefs defensive coordinator Steve Spagnuolo, Colts coach Frank Reich and Rams coach Sean McVay.

Capping a weekend of deliberate defiance and/or desultory disobedience, Raiders coach Jon Gruden, who said last week he felt Vincent’s memo was directed at him, and Saints coach Sean Payton were shown on a split screen Monday night, both of them breaking the rules.
Following the Raiders’ 34-24 win over the Saints, Gruden revealed he’d had COVID-19 and apologized for violating the rules.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
I believe dogs and cats have tested positive for Covid but there is no evidence that they have spread it as yet.
Although it seems like it would be hard to prove this at the best of times.